What's new

Material for pins?

Can't find any small brass rod in my town and it often costs more to mail stuff to Alaska than the object is worth so I was looking around for other sources of potential pinning material. Here is what I've found:

Brass escutcheon nails. Found some the correct diameter (#6 I think) and they have a nice rounded head already handy. Looks like one of the razors I have was pinned this way.

Large brass safety pins from Jo Ann's fabrics. Made of solid brass and looks like I can cut four pins out of each one. A little larger diameter. I've noticed that the pins that were in my razors were much smaller than the holes drilled in the blades. Seems this would allow the pin to bend during the peening, which doesn't strike me as a good thing notwithstanding the fact that three razors were like that. The thicker brass might work better. Any feedback on using larger than 1/16th?

Copper phosphor brazing rod. This is the right diameter and comes in packs that are cheap and available. But i'm not sure how it will peen or how well it will last. Anybody ever try this stuff?

By some miracle I found the small stainless machine screws and washers, but I'm not sure I like the look. The classic peening is much cleaner, although I like the idea of being able to adjust the tightness.

Can't find any small brass rod in my town and it often costs more to mail stuff to Alaska than the object is worth so I was looking around for other sources of potential pinning material. Here is what I've found:

Brass escutcheon nails. Found some the correct diameter (#6 I think) and they have a nice rounded head already handy. Looks like one of the razors I have was pinned this way.

Large brass safety pins from Jo Ann's fabrics. Made of solid brass and looks like I can cut four pins out of each one. A little larger diameter. I've noticed that the pins that were in my razors were much smaller than the holes drilled in the blades. Seems this would allow the pin to bend during the peening, which doesn't strike me as a good thing notwithstanding the fact that three razors were like that. The thicker brass might work better. Any feedback on using larger than 1/16th?

Copper phosphor brazing rod. This is the right diameter and comes in packs that are cheap and available. But i'm not sure how it will peen or how well it will last. Anybody ever try this stuff?

By some miracle I found the small stainless machine screws and washers, but I'm not sure I like the look. The classic peening is much cleaner, although I like the idea of being able to adjust the tightness.

If you can find a welding supply shop you can ask if they sell brass brazing rod by the piece.. 1/16 3/32 ... this should work just fine. they come in 36 in. lengths

I've seen 1/16" rod and aluminum/copper sheeting at the neighbourhood model supply store. They basically sell everything you need to build train and car models. I bought my balsawood from them.

Legion

Staff member
Most hobby shops should sell 1/16 rod. I'm not sure how remote you are but any shop that sells stuff for model making will be able to order it for you.

Pretty remote and none of the shops that carry models carry small metal rod stock. One guy says he is going to order some to supply science fair projects so perhaps that will work. Probably I'll save up a list of items and buy it on the web, it's a bit esoteric for the local stores. Or maybe stock up on my next trip down south.

If you'd like I can run out to the hobby supply store in my neighbourhood and pick some up for you. I'll cut it down to fit into a legal sized envelope and just post it in the mail. I can let you know how much but I'm sure it's only about $5-$10 at the most. I don't know where to get #0 brass collars though. Maybe someone can chime in. They also sell copper and aluminum sheet for lining your wedges or the inside of scales.

If you'd like I can run out to the hobby supply store in my neighbourhood and pick some up for you. I'll cut it down to fit into a legal sized envelope and just post it in the mail. I can let you know how much but I'm sure it's only about $5-$10 at the most. I don't know where to get #0 brass collars though. Maybe someone can chime in. They also sell copper and aluminum sheet for lining your wedges or the inside of scales.

Terry,

#0 Brass washers, decent delivery times but shipping to Canada cost's more than the actual product. To somewhat justify the shipping I also ordered a package of the stainless.

Brass:
http://www.microfasteners.com/catalog/products/WASFWB.cfm

Stainless:
http://www.microfasteners.com/catalog/products/WASFWS.cfm

Terry,

#0 Brass washers, decent delivery times but shipping to Canada cost's more than the actual product. To somewhat justify the shipping I also ordered a package of the stainless.

Brass:
http://www.microfasteners.com/catalog/products/WASFWB.cfm

Stainless:
http://www.microfasteners.com/catalog/products/WASFWS.cfm

For brass did you get the regular or wide ones? I am thinking you got the very first one but can you please confirm. I wanted to also do the staggered washers but not sure how to accomplish that.

FWB0 100 #0 .064 1/8 .017 $ 3.80
FWBW0 100 #0 wide .064 3/16 .017 $ 4.40
FWB00 100 #00 .050 7/64 .017 $ 4.60

Here is what is on the packages. It doesn't match what you've got there exactly, but the part number and price seems to be the same as the first one you listed.

Brass:
Flat washer #0 .065x .125x.017 $3.80
FWB0

Stainless:
Flat Washer #0 $2.20
FWS00

The stainless are larger in over diameter, but the center hole is the same size. They both fit a 1/16" rod.

I wanted to also do the staggered washers but not sure how to accomplish that.

Microfastener's #0brass are the smallest, #0stainless are the medium size, and #0wide are the widest... it ends up being 2 colors, but, thats how most guys get the stacked look.

Here is a set I did like that:

proxy.php

Terry, That would be great if you don't mind the bother. I don't need a lot but it is cheap if you have a local supply so a bit more is better than running out. If you have the small washers in brass and have quantities to spare I'll buy some of those from you as well. I can get the #0 stainless small outside diameter washers here but anything else is out of the question. I love the look of the stacked washers. I only have 3 razors in need of repinning or new scales and I don't know how many rebuilds I'll do ultimately, I'm trying not to go as wild with straights as I did with DE's but I'm weak in that way :001_rolle

sure no problem. I'll send you a pm

Terry, That would be great if you don't mind the bother. I don't need a lot but it is cheap if you have a local supply so a bit more is better than running out. If you have the small washers in brass and have quantities to spare I'll buy some of those from you as well. I can get the #0 stainless small outside diameter washers here but anything else is out of the question. I love the look of the stacked washers. I only have 3 razors in need of repinning or new scales and I don't know how many rebuilds I'll do ultimately, I'm trying not to go as wild with straights as I did with DE's but I'm weak in that way :001_rolle

Top Bottom