What's new

Matador Toro Mastiff what are your thougts

Im thinking about picking up]Matador Toro Mastiff wondering what everyones thoughts were? Also closed or open comb?

It's been awhile since I bought my Toro Mastiff, as I recall it only came in a closed comb at the time. Since my purchase, I understand they offer both a mild and regular (mid-aggressive) head. This razor mirrors an earlier Shave-a-buck, SABI razor but has better finish and fit and the New York Shaving Company at a much higher price.

As to my thoughts. First of all, the Toro Mastiff has IMO the best heavyweight handle out there. It's chromed brass and comes in a short and long length. It's head certainly comes in on the aggressive side, but not crazy aggressive.

It's not my favorite razor, but if used with good technique (this is where the light/no pressure rule comes in), the heavy weight of the handle will apply enough pressure. Yet, I'm glad that I bought this razor and keep in my rotation.

I have one and absolutely love it. Just for a reference, I have only been wet shaving for almost one year and use either a shimmed MR5 or Merkur 23c for my Monday through Friday shaves. I take Saturday off, but on Sunday I use an exaggerated shave prep and use the Toro Mastiff. After starting the week with a BBS shave, the other two razors give me great shaves for the rest of the week.

I don't know how the Toro Mastiff feels compared to a R41 or Ikon Tech, but it certainly taught me how to respect a razor. It took me a couple shaves to appreciate what a light touch was, but once I got it, nothing but immaculate shaves. The only reason this isn't my daily shaver yet it because I my Sunday shave takes me thirty minutes. Partly from the amount of prep, and partly because I am so methodical for the three passes. When my confidence and technique improve, I'd love to get this quality shave on a daily basis.

I realize it has been long time since the OP posted this but I think this razor deserves some spotlight and a lot more attention.

I haven't bought the Mastiff handle but the head only. It is one of my most favorite razor. Very efficient and yet smooth. The most efficient razor I have used. I have used more than 50 DE razors in last 4 years but this is probably my most favorite. Every time I use it it makes me think why did I spend over $150 on some of my razors. Using it with Voskhod or Rapira blades it's very forgiving.

BTW, the customer service from their shop is the best I have ever experienced. They reply messages quick and in a professional manner.

Top Bottom