What's new

Marsala recommendations

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I love to eat chicken marsala, but have never made it. Usually, when I do wine reduction sauces with chicken I use chardonnays. I'm not into drinking fortified wines, so I'm not too familiar with what I should be looking for. Does a dry marsala still have a touch of sweetness to it? Brands reccomendations would also be helpful.

Marsala wine is inexpensive and widely available. For a savory dish, use dry Marsala. Sweet Marsala is used for desserts like zabaglione. To be labelled Marsala, it must be fortified (brandy is added), and it must come from Marsala, Sicily.

Don't buy "cooking" Marsala - it's full of salt and awful.

The real stuff, along with the mushrooms, gives Chicken Marsala its distinctive, delicious taste.

One more thing about Marsala. Like Vermouth, Sherry, and other fortified wines, it is shelf stable, so you don't have drink the whole bottle the first time you use it.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Marsala wine is inexpensive and widely available. For a savory dish, use dry Marsala. Sweet Marsala is used for desserts like zabaglione. To be labelled Marsala, it must be fortified (brandy is added), and it must come from Marsala, Sicily.

Don't buy "cooking" Marsala - it's full of salt and awful.

The real stuff, along with the mushrooms, gives Chicken Marsala its distinctive, delicious taste.

Thanks for the info. My local grocery store only have two different brands. This one, and one about a third of the price. Looks like I'll be giving it a try in the next few says.

20200823_151000.jpg

Top Bottom