What's new

Marfin Brushes

Has anyone purchased or had the chance to inspect a Marco Finardi "Marfin" custom brush? They seem positively amazing and true works of art. The pictures all look outstanding, and I am considering purchasing one, but am hesitant at $350 since my $45 Whipped Dog ceramic badger works fantastically. This would obviously be an indulging purchase, seeing as how no one ever NEEDS to spend that type of money on a brush, But I would love to get one nonetheless.

How is the quality? How is the break in process? How well do you think they will hold up through time (referring to the finish of the handle, because it can always be re-knotted)? Thanks for anyone who has an opinion, and gracious enough to post about it. OF COURSE, if you have pictures of on owned, please post them. And for anyone who has no idea what I'm talking about, but is interested, these brushes can be found at Italianbarberdotcom.

I was just poking around on the Italianbarber when I found those brushes and they immediately struck me as cool. I wasn't even thinking of purchasing a brush, I love mine. But saw these and thought, as far as unique and certainly a counter piece goes, I don't see any other's out there that are measuring up to these. OF COURSE, it falls under the almighty "personal preference" clause, but I also like to dabble in the expensive stuff just to have some of it for fun and for something that I can be really proud of. We have already separated ourselves form the norm by being apart of this community of nostalgia, and throwing a custom spin on one's gear seems to amplify the effect, at least for me. So all in all, I'd get one just for the sake of having such a piece, but if it was just terrible quality that would not hold up, then I absolutely don't want to throw my money away.

I thought you must have come into alot of money to pay that much for a brush. My wife might get very upset with me but I can't afford a pricey brush like that. We had to pay our taxes.

I find them ugly, overpriced, unpractical shapes and did I mention ugly. I would also like to know more info on their knots or some photos of theme being "hand made".

There is a reason no one uses them.

Last edited:
Don't know a thing about them, but I do know a beautiful piece of wood converted to art when I see one. For sure some of the brushes seen on Marfin's website gallery are a bit over the top design-wise. Others are simply beautiful.

If I wanted one...I'd buy one. Let the nay-sayers be dismissed. There are so many instances of someone desiring a high end piece of gear and getting their corn flakes leaked on because of cost. I hate to see that happen.

Let's face it...my $150 Ralf Aust shaves just great...so does my $450 Zowada. I have a $75 Grohmann knife which performs just as well in the outdoors as does my $400 Randall. Hmmm...in reality I have a $20 Omega which I prefer to many brushes I paid 5x, 6x, 7x more.

Point being...I enjoy them all for what they are. Life is simply too short to deny oneself the affordable (albeit spendy) niceties just because something else will work "just as well".

So other than that...how's everyone doing????

[MENTION=41024]Acmemfg[/MENTION]

My comment of them being ugly was for a shave brush purpose and what I look for in one. I don't see them being functional and comfortable to grip and hold during lathering.

If we are purely talking skill in taking a hunk of wood, carving and finishing, they are works of art. But I don't wouldn't buy one to display for that purpose.

As you said, if someone wanted one, I wouldn't care what others thought. Buy and enjoy ones self, that's all that matters.

I don't recall anyone ever posting owning one on B&B, so we may not see many opinions from brush owners with first hand experience using them.

I think they look pretty sweet, and if the guys at Italian Barber are impressed with them, then they must be pretty good quality, because I have rarely found any of the products they endorse to be junk. That being said, $350.00 is a chunk of change to pay for a brush, but if you got the dough to spend, go for it I say!

i would love one. unique and it does function. art is subjective for sure. Hell edt and colognes go for what this brush lists. chubby 3 manchurian not as pretty.

The craftsmanship and care that goes into the handles is obvious, but I reckon brucered has a point over their lack of practicality. I like a brush that's beautiful and easy to use, and the Marfin brushes don't look like they meet those requirements. Others will certainly have a different outlook, of course.

All very valid points guys. But I have to +1 the one's who say indulge, not because I want a "yes man" to facilitate my pricey non-essential expenditures, but because we are all here apart of this nostalgic community for a reason...preference and experience. We shave in a classic manner because of efficiency, for some frugality, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY personal preference. We want to EXPEREINCE a shave, not just HAVE one. And I believe part of experiencing is the sense of pride in your gear. Sure, its a chunk of change, but if you FEEL like a million$ after using $500 worth of collective gear, then it seems you really got your money's worth and then some.

Last edited:
proxy.php

A amazing brush built by a true artist. Fantastic knot and a joy to use/hold/view. Love this brush!

Great looking brush! Glad you enjoy it and nice to hear from someone who has purchased one.

After looking at the first few brushes on the Facebook page, I was thinking, "Some pipe smokers might love one of these to go with a similar pipe." Then I perused further down and saw the pipes. While of no practical purpose, a matching brush and pipe would be awesome!

oh, that is absolutely true. what a wild idea.

This hobby has nothing to do with being practical or sensible. It's a hobby.

And a grand one.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I just replaced a knot in one with a Shavemac two-band silvertip. The piece of wood - bruyere, or briar in English - was truly beautiful, superb grain. The handle was quite large and nicely shaped, carved into a off-center square shape. The knot in it was really nothing special, seemed like a typical Chinese sourced three band silvertip. But the wood.....

Has anyone purchased or had the chance to inspect a Marco Finardi "Marfin" custom brush? They seem positively amazing and true works of art. The pictures all look outstanding, and I am considering purchasing one, but am hesitant at $350 since my $45 Whipped Dog ceramic badger works fantastically. This would obviously be an indulging purchase, seeing as how no one ever NEEDS to spend that type of money on a brush, But I would love to get one nonetheless.

How is the quality? How is the break in process? How well do you think they will hold up through time (referring to the finish of the handle, because it can always be re-knotted)? Thanks for anyone who has an opinion, and gracious enough to post about it. OF COURSE, if you have pictures of on owned, please post them. And for anyone who has no idea what I'm talking about, but is interested, these brushes can be found at Italianbarberdotcom.
Hi, executive shaving from scotland has a great range of these. You might get a bargain due to the current exchange rate. Buy if you want one , buy, as life isnt a rehearsal! Plus I bet that those who think they are expensive, have several cheap brushes which in total cost more. I bet you'd get a lot of pleasure from owning and using one. I think they will perform well.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Hi, executive shaving from scotland has a great range of these. You might get a bargain due to the current exchange rate. Buy if you want one , buy, as life isnt a rehearsal! Plus I bet that those who think they are expensive, have several cheap brushes which in total cost more. I bet you'd get a lot of pleasure from owning and using one. I think they will perform well.
yeah, but they are all sold out...wonder where he gets the beautiful wood, I look for quite some time to get some decent sized briar burl, but no luck

Top Bottom