What's new

?Mamabear's soaps?

I have been using the Mamabear's Lavender & Lilac soap for when I shave at work since it's in a sealable plastic container however I can never seem to get nearly as good a lather out of it as I can my Tabac's. I use the same bowl and the same brush and have even tried face lathering but still find it lacking from Tabac's. Anyone else use Mamabear's with the same results or is there just something I'm missing?

TIA

Well, Tabac is a triple milled tallow soap, and MB is a glycerin soap, so you have your differences right there. Both give me excellent shaves, but I find that Tabac is more forgiving on the water ratio. That might be your problem?

Edit: Also, remember to use more product when using a glycerin soap!

Last edited:
I have been using the Mamabear's Lavender & Lilac soap for when I shave at work since it's in a sealable plastic container however I can never seem to get nearly as good a lather out of it as I can my Tabac's....

Apples and Oranges. Glycerin based soaps (like Mama Bears) perform differently than the harder soaps like Tabac. There have been volumes written in various posts comparing the types but the consensus seems to be that glycerin based soaps provide "slicker" lather while soaps like Tabac provide more "cushion".

Not saying that one is necessarily superior to the other just two different things.

Apples and Oranges. Glycerin based soaps (like Mama Bears) perform differently than the harder soaps like Tabac. There have been volumes written in various posts comparing the types but the consensus seems to be that glycerin based soaps provide "slicker" lather while soaps like Tabac provide more "cushion".

Not saying that one is necessarily superior to the other just two different things.

Well said .40 Cal!

+1. Mama Bear does give me a much slicker shave than Tabac, which I prefer, but Tabac gave me more lather, lather that was thicker, faster and easier.
I personally think a lot of the Tabac love around here comes from the appreciation of the lather it makes, not the shave it gives, but many shavers want cushion, and Tabac gives it in spades.

Remember, Glycerin soaps have more water in them than milled soaps, so load the brush more with a glycerin, i.e., swirl the brush on mama bear until lumps of cream are rolling off the edges of the tub.

I have been using the Mamabear's Lavender & Lilac soap for when I shave at work since it's in a sealable plastic container however I can never seem to get nearly as good a lather out of it as I can my Tabac's. I use the same bowl and the same brush and have even tried face lathering but still find it lacking from Tabac's. Anyone else use Mamabear's with the same results or is there just something I'm missing?

TIA

How do you build your lather? On glycerin soaps I typically pour a bit of hot water on top of the puck and let it sit while I shower, along with the brush soaking in hot water, then dump off the water, squeeze the brush, and load for a solid minute. At that point you can bowl or face lather.

If you follow those directions you'll probably get the best possible lather you will get out of that Mama bear puck. If it's still not as good for you as Tabac, then you can probably just consider Tabac to be the better product for you. Other than the mixed reviews on scent, Tabac has legendary status around here for its lather, so don't be surprised if this is the case.

TIA

I found I could get a really nice lather out of it. The issue I had with it is that it didn't seem to protect my face at all while I was shaving and my face would start to feel a bit raw and irritated on the beginning of the second pass. Often Preventing me from a third pass.

I found this to be the same when I used Col. Conks.

So I gave up on these soaps after enough shaves to give it a fair shake.

Top Bottom