What's new

Maggard Razors G5 Synthetic Knot?

Hello all, my BAD is kicking in again just wanted to see if anyone here has used the G5 synthetic knot by Maggard Razors before pulling the trigger on this higher priced knot. I am looking to get an idea of how much backbone it actually has, how scrubby it is and how much of a glue bump it has. Loft reccomendations would also be much appreciated (preference for backbone and scrub) Thanks.
Maggard-Razors-G5-Synthetic-Shaving-Brush-Knot-30mm_994x994.jpg

Reactions: Kix
I have one (I got mine.through AP shave Co, but they're the same fibers). Here's my review

I have one (I got mine.through AP shave Co, but they're the same fibers). Here's my review

I’ve been reading that thread and have been quite curious about this brush. Is the Maggard G5 the same thing as a APshaveCo G5A? I confess, I like Maggard’s blue handles! And they’ve been a fantastic supplier of soaps for me.

I have posted on the main G5 thread that I got a custom handle drilled only 10mm deep to put a 22mm G5 from Maggards in. What you should do is use rubber bands to pinch the knot to the depth that you think you want to set it and adjust accordingly. You can actually lather with just the knot and rubber band for grip! 🤪

All I know for sure is that the G5A and G5C are not the same as the Muhle or Shavemac knots. If they are the same as other brands, I don't know.

Upping an old thread to see if anybody has any direct experience with the Maggard's G5 knots and can describe their characteristics. Maybe somebody can compare them to the classic (Plisson style) Magggard's synthetic knots and/or to Simpson Platinum/Sovereign knots (to mention knots that I have used).
I was thinking about buying either the 26 or the 28 mm.

I have the G5A from APShaveCo. I seem to remember that it is a 26mm knot. It is my second favorite knot. It is better than the Simpson Sovereign and the plisson knot that I have. It has just enough backbone, but not too much. It has very, very soft tips and is not at all scratchy. It lathers anything, creams, triple milled, croaps, anything with aplomb. It is a wonderful knot. It did take a good long while to break in fully. It went from third to second place for me, beating out a 38mm Shavemac fiber knot. The only knot I like better is the 25mm Mühle STF knot from Rudy Vey. For my face, the G5A (Same fibers as the C) is better than the badgers I had. The G5 and Badgers both have good points, but the G5 has more good things to consider.

Top Bottom