What's new

Mackinac Bridge

Great bridge pictures.

I'll be crossing the Verrazano Bridge along with a few others in NY/NJ this weekend. It was the world's largest double-decker suspension bridge, not sure if it still holds the title or not.

proxy.php

The most impressive bridge I'll ever been on is the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel. That was amazing. Next time, I'm stopping and taking pictures.

http://www.cbbt.com/history.html
proxy.php

hi gollum83
hats off to ya:smile::smile: ,you are right,millau ,france. i took the pic on a bike trip ,and then went over it. towards spain .
cheers rac:smile:

Am I reading right that it took only 6 months to build?

No, it took something like three and a half years, with all the construction happening during the summer. That also does not include the causeway on the north side of the bridge, which was built between 1939 and 1941.

What I find particularly interesting is that a bridge crossing for the Straits was considered long before they actually built the Mighty Mac. One of the more unique plans was actually for a floating tunnel, which was proposed by the state's highway commission in 1920. Other plans include one to island hop across the Straits of Mackinaw using several bridges, and also one for a center-anchorage double-suspension bridge with a rail connection running on the lower deck.

Top Bottom