What's new

Macduff’s Monthly Blade Review: Personna Lab Blue

So i'm back with another monthly review! As before, each blade will be reviewed based on a 2 pass (plus touch up) shave using a Van Der Hagen long handled razor, some atrocious “Peace” soap that should never have been used for shaving and a generic Fento badger brush. I run through 2 of each blade and use each 4 times; for a total of 8 shaves per brand. I'll be grading based on sharpness, smoothness, longevity and consistency. Price will be a factor but only of it's very cheap or expensive since most DE blades are pretty cheap comparatively.

Up to bat this time is a blade so highly regarded, if they had a DE blade hall of fame, it would be enshrined next to a picture of ol’ King Camp himself. I’m referring of course to the much lauded Personna Lab Blue. It’s a blade as shrouded in confusion as it is heaped with praise. Some say it’s just a dirty Personna Med Prep. Others swear the Med Preps are a cut above (pun alert.) Will we ever get a definitive answer?! Well...yes. In fact it’s been out there awhile. The Lab Blue is simply a Med Prep that hasn’t undergone the rigorous and mystifying cleaning process razor blades need to be considered medical grade. Yet still the debate rages! And the world is better for it. To make matters worse, Personna makes an Israeli and US blade in blue packaging. The difference? The blue Israeli blades are really the Israeli Reds in disguise! And the US made blue blades are the actual Lab Blues. Yes, Personna never fails to inform in their marketing. Interestingly enough, the Personna Lab Blues and Med Preps and are the only DE blades still made in the US. I’m sure if you’ve read to this point you’re wondering if there’s actually going to actually be a review of these things. So without wasting any more digital paper, it’s on to the review of the US made “Comfort Coated” Lab Blue!

First up as usual is sharpness. The Lab Blue has a reputation of being an upper tier sharp blade, and the first shave really was wonderful. In fact, for me it ranked up there with my best shaves ever. I have a pretty coarse set of whiskers and most blades i use require going over the same areas many, many times. Not so with the Lab Blue. It decimated my beard with almost zero fuss. The second shave was nearly the same as the first and in fact, it felt even sharper the second go round. To me, the second shave with the Lab was tied with the Viking’s Sword as best shave of my life. Now, i feel the need to insert this objective bit of info here: for those of you familiar with the refined shave website, the Lab Blue tested at an initial sharpness of 48. And the second shave sharpness was tested at a 37. 48 is a staggeringly “dull” sharpness number whereas 37 is a pretty “sharp” number. This was shocking to me as i felt the first shave was nearly as sharp as the second. More on that in a minute though. My third shave with the Lab Blue was good, but nowhere near the first two. I received some irritation and a couple weepers but it was still a good, close shave. The fourth was a little harsher than the third and though still good, the blade felt like it was no longer slicing through my beard as efficiently.

Which brings me to smoothness. The first two shaves were perfect. A 10 in my book. The razor had that beautiful “glide” that happens when paired with the right blade. The shaves were BBS and irritation was pretty much non-existant. The third and fourth shaves were about a 7 and 6 respectively. The blade started to drag and the irritation levels post shave rose. As noted previously, i also had a couple weepers on both the third and fourth shaves.

Which brings me back to the refined shave. The third shave for him registered a sharpness level of 35. This is getting into feather territory and one would think, should provide the shaves with the most efficiency and perceptable sharpness. So why did i feel the first two shaves were the most efficient and sharpest? In my opinion, it all has to do with the “Comfort Coating.”

As the Teflon (PTFE for those concerned with patent infringement) wore off, the razor’s edge gradually was more exposed. For shaves 1 and 2 the blade balanced out perfectly for me. As the coating wore off, the blade sharpened up but still had enough teflon to glide over my skin without biting into it. By the third shave, i believe the coating had worn off to the point that the blade began to create friction as it cut through the hair and dragged across my skin. This i perceived as a duller blade because the blade was pulling my skin instead of gliding over it. In actuality, it was plenty sharp but the friction increased effort and thus, perceieved inefficiency or “dullness.”

For me this really was a revelation in how to choose a blade and the nature of YMMV. For those like me, with a fairly wiry beard and about normal skin sensitivity, a blade that is teflon coated and medium-high sharp is ideal beacuse it cuts efficiently and the teflon allows the blade to glide instead of drag. For those with thin beards and sensitive skin, a duller coated blade would be ideal because they don’t need as much sharpness to cut their whiskers yet still require the protection of the coating. For those with tough beards and tough skin, the sharpest uncoated blades are best because they don’t feel the skin feedback of the blade and only really perceive the cutting efficiency. This is why someone might dislike the Lab Blue on the first two shaves and toss it before it sharpens up to a level they’d find acceptable. I’m willing to bet that the vast majority of hated blades fall into the uncoated medium sharp territory simply because they don’t serve anyone’s face and beard type well. So that’s my new theory. I successfully hijacked my own thead! Anyway on to longevity.

Longevity for the Lab Blue is its big flaw. For me, these are two and toss blades. It’s the only real area of weakness from what are now one of my top three blades. Others may find they like the lab blue more as it goes on due to the increased sharpness, but for me it just made the blade harsh.

Consistancy was a 10 with both blades performing identically. Most top tier blades have good quality control and the Lab Blue was no exception.

Last up is price. I had a devil of a time actually finding out which blue box on amazon were in fact lab blues and not israeli Personna’s. The packaging changes and lack of info on conutry of manufacture led to a mountain of confusion. I’m linking the ones i found for you fellow B&Bers to check and make sure i’m not spreading misinformation. These were $13.46 per 100 and put them on the mid-low end of the DE price scale. For a top tier blade though, these are a steal.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B071...zor+blades&dpPl=1&dpID=51cnxwu4hJL&ref=plSrch

So after that exhaustively long review, what would i give the Lab Blue for an overall grade? This was a tough one. The first two shaves were 10’s in both sharpness and smoothness. The consistancy was a 10 and the price for a top tier blade is also a 10. The area it takes a hit (for me) is that it’s a two use and chuck blade. Initially i was going to grade it at an 8, but because the price is so good, i’m giving the Personna Lab Blue my highest score yet: a 9 out of 10. It’s going to be hard to beat the combination of near perfect shaves, price and consistancy. If any blade does overtake it, it’ll be something that gives me 4 perfect shaves. Pretty much my personal holy grail of shaving. But like the actual holy grail, it may not even exist. Won’t stop me from trying though!

Well that’s it for this review folks! I’m still pretty behind on reviews so a new one will probably be coming out in a week or two. Next up The Perma-Sharp Super. Until then, happy shaving!

Attachments

• 1586F65E-1132-4E09-BA73-49F701E13423.jpeg
    1586F65E-1132-4E09-BA73-49F701E13423.jpeg
    997.1 KB · Views: 151
  • E24C1AEA-9041-483E-8C9D-F861EC55308B.jpeg
    E24C1AEA-9041-483E-8C9D-F861EC55308B.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 150
  • 1C484B6E-AF95-4860-9EC7-9097C38002CA.jpeg
    1C484B6E-AF95-4860-9EC7-9097C38002CA.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 150
I've never tried these, so thank you.

They’re fantastic blades. These, the Polsilver Super Iridiums and Astra SP’s are probably the most universally loved blades around here. Like any blade there are people who don’t like them but i’d say they’re definitely a must try blade. I hope you decide to give them a go!

Thank you for another great review! These were some of the first blades I ever used in my microtouch one when I first started. I didn't like them, but I also didnt know what I was doing. I have long since moved on and, recalling all that razor burn, have been shy about giving them another chance. Maybe I will.

One thing going against it is lack of consistent packaging and snore-fest marketing. I really think a company needs to make an effort to get you interested in their product with some graphics, maybe some cool lettering. Something! Personna looks like they give zero F's about this. And I sort wonder "if you don't care, why should I?". If it looks like mediocrity, it probably is. They have plain white envelopes and a box you would totally miss unless you were looking for it. Zero personality.

And can anyone tell me what the deal is with the word "lab" in "lab blues"? Is it labrador? Is it laboratory? Kind of gets on my nerves because it makes no sense.

Thank you for another great review! These were some of the first blades I ever used in my microtouch one when I first started. I didn't like them, but I also didnt know what I was doing. I have long since moved on and, recalling all that razor burn, have been shy about giving them another chance. Maybe I will.

One thing going against it is lack of consistent packaging and snore-fest marketing. I really think a company needs to make an effort to get you interested in their product with some graphics, maybe some cool lettering. Something! Personna looks like they give zero F's about this. And I sort wonder "if you don't care, why should I?". If it looks like mediocrity, it probably is. They have plain white envelopes and a box you would totally miss unless you were looking for it. Zero personality.

And can anyone tell me what the deal is with the word "lab" in "lab blues"? Is it labrador? Is it laboratory? Kind of gets on my nerves because it makes no sense.

They're not in the business of selling to consumers, so marketing and packaging are not their concern. This is an industrial product. They're called "lab blues" for a reason - the market is science labs whose equipment uses double edge blades for tissue dissection. Places like that order by the part number and don't care what the packaging looks like.

They're not in the business of selling to consumers, so marketing and packaging are not their concern. This is an industrial product. They're called "lab blues" for a reason - the market is science labs whose equipment uses double edge blades for tissue dissection. Places like that order by the part number and don't care what the packaging looks like.
Well then that makes perfect sense. They're generic looking because they don't need to bother with the expense.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I really think a company needs to make an effort to get you interested in their product with some graphics, maybe some cool lettering. Something!

Do people really care about that? I certainly don't! All that matters to me is the shave. I do prefer a wrapper that tells you what the blade is, so I can identify them in case I have a few loose blades kicking about. I couldn't give two hoots about the colouring, graphics, or font. That has zero impact on me choosing a blade.

Thanks for the review @Macduff I have one or two round here for testing, but haven't gotten round to them yet.

Well then that makes perfect sense. They're generic looking because they don't need to bother with the expense.

Sharpstar I do agree with you in spirit. While i don’t need fancy packaging, the lack of ANYTHING identifiable on the packaging is hugely annoying. Even knowing what i was looking for, it took me about 10 minutes searching amazon to figure out which blades were actually the lab blues and not the israeli blue packs. Another question i have is why they would “comfort coat” an industrial blade. I’ve seen their bulk ordering system online and there’s no doubt that’s their primary market for these things, but “comfort coating” for lab purposes? I’m sure comfort is the last thing whatever is being cut up by these things is concerned about. Another Personna mystery i guess.

Last edited:
Do people really care about that? I certainly don't! All that matters to me is the shave. I do prefer a wrapper that tells you what the blade is, so I can identify them in case I have a few loose blades kicking about. I couldn't give two hoots about the colouring, graphics, or font. That has zero impact on me choosing a blade.

Thanks for the review @Macduff I have one or two round here for testing, but haven't gotten round to them yet.
If you know the product, no, graphics and stuff don't really matter. I have just found that when something looks generic, it's usually crappy and I get something that looks like somebody put more effort into it. That's what I meant.

Thanks Aimless! Definitely try them out when you get a chance. I cringe every time i issue such effusive praise for something so hyped up. I think i innately want to dislike something that has a bandwagon on which to jump. But there are times when hype is warranted and the Lab Blue really is a great blade.

Sharpstar I do agree with you in spirit. While i don’t need fancy packaging, the lack of ANYTHING identifiable on the packaging is hugely annoying. Even knowing what i was looking for, it took me about 10 minutes searching amazon to figure out which blades were actually the lab blues and not the israeli blue packs. Another question i have is why they would “comfort coat” an industrial blade. I’ve seen their bulk ordering system online and there’s no doubt that’s their primary market for these things, but “comfort coating” for lab purposes? I’m sure comfort is the last thing whatever is being cut up by these things is concerned about. Another Personna mystery i guess.

"Comfort coated" is a trademark. I theorize without evidence that it's left over from when ASR was offering these same blades in the consumer market. You have to use trademarks to keep them. Besides, it avoids a bunch of questions from the customers asking if they're still coated blades.

"Comfort coated" is a trademark. I theorize without evidence that it's left over from when ASR was offering these same blades in the consumer market. You have to use trademarks to keep them. Besides, it avoids a bunch of questions from the customers asking if they're still coated blades.

I assumed that it was a proprietary coating but found it odd they’d decide to bother with it on blades bound for industrial use. I didn’t know lab blues were ever really sold as a consumer product but in light of that, i suspect your theory is correct. Probably cheaper for them to continue producing them as they had been but just shift it over to the industrial market.

I assumed that it was a proprietary coating but found it odd they’d decide to bother with it on blades bound for industrial use. I didn’t know lab blues were ever really sold as a consumer product but in light of that, i suspect your theory is correct. Probably cheaper for them to continue producing them as they had been but just shift it over to the industrial market.

Yeah, these were just the Personna branded razor blades you could buy in the store. But by the mid-'90s name brand double edge razor blades weren't a viable commercial product anymore. ASR bought the Israeli blade maker in 1996 which was already doing good business in the store brand / private label market and just kept operating that business, and now Edgewell owns it since ASR went bankrupt in 2010. Edgewell spun off what used to be pre-1996 ASR which is now Accutec, which is who actually makes these blades, but they don't have much if any consumer presence. That's why you can only get these from B2B / industrial suppliers.

Thanks pdieten that was a real eye opener on these blades! I never cease to be amazed at the knowledge here at B&B. How did you find all this out? I scoured the internet to try and find some info but came up with little outside of their laboratory history.

Top Bottom