What's new

Macduff’s Monthly Blade Review: Permasharp Super

So i'm back with another monthly review! As before, each blade will be reviewed based on a 2 pass (plus touch up) shave using a Van Der Hagen long handled razor, some atrocious “Peace” soap that should never have been used for shaving and a generic Fento badger brush. I run through 2 of each blade and use each 4 times; for a total of 8 shaves per brand. I'll be grading based on sharpness, smoothness, longevity and consistency. Price will be a factor but only of it's very cheap or expensive since most DE blades are pretty cheap comparatively.

Reviews are coming fast and furious these days due to my slacking over the holidays. Coming on the heels of the exceptional lab blue is the Permasharp Super. It’s made in the same St. Petersburg factory (Petersburg Products International) as the vaunted Polsilver SI so i expected good things out of the Perma. As a side note, i’ve noticed that the “Polsilver has stopped production” rumor has started up again. I intend to get some proof that this is another cooked up story so i’ll post a thread on my attempt to get to the bottom of this in the coming week. Back to the Permasharp...

Blade packaging is the standard translucent waxed paper and the blade is stamped “Permasharp Stainless.” Coating on these is a bit of a mystery. Some list it as PTFE coated and others don’t mention anything. I couldn’t find anything definitive so i’ll have to leave it up in the air. If anyone knows for sure, feel free to chime in. Unfortunately i don’t have any funny or witty tidbits to add on this blade. This blade is all business. From the packaging to the stamping, this thing is the yugo of razor blades. Basic, utilitarian, singular in purpose. But many great books have plain covers. Is this blade War and Peace? Or simply more propaganda from Pravada? Let’s find out!

As always, we start with sharpness. With a name like “Permasharp”, i was expecting something...well...sharp. And i can say definitively it most certainly is. The first shave had no problem taking down a couple days worth of stubble. I did suffer a couple of weepers and post shave irritation was noticible so i knew i was dealing with a sharp blade. I took more care on the second shave but the Permasharp was truly unforgiving. More weepers and even more irritation followed. The third and fourth shaves both felt a bit tuggy and like the preceding two, came with some weepers to boot. I don’t often draw blood shaving but for whatever reason, no matter how careful i was with the Perma, i couldn’t get a bloodless shave.

Smoothness was a real downfall here. The blade was plenty sharp but as i stated above, each and every shave came with the red stuff and a good dose of razor burn. Every shave i would carefully try to mitigate the pain by taking my time and being careful, and every time i ended up with blood and the prickly-itchy sensation of a shave gone wrong. This is not a smooth blade.

Consistancy earned high marks because both blades had a decent first shave then became harsh hack sessions i sufferered through. The second shave on both blades was the worst in terms of weepers and irritation. A good thing in terms of quality control, but bad for my mug.

Longevity was hard for me to gauge simply because these blades were tearing me up. For someone who likes sharp blades these would probably keep on delivering a super sharp shave well past four uses; but for me i simply couldn’t go on. This was the type of blade that made me question whether my “give the blade a fair shot” ideal was insane. Outside of the first shaves, each one was torturous. But i want to give every blade a full review so i plowed through and happily tossed the last Permasharp into the annals of B&B history.

Cost is on the high end as with most PPI blades. Amazon is asking 19.90 per 100 which is is expensive for DE blades but not necessarily break the bank level.

An old soviet joke regarding the two state run newspapers, Pravada (the truth) and Izvestia (the news) goes thusly: “There is no news in the truth and no truth in the news.” Unfortunately for me, all the news of the Permasharp being a good blade were like so much soviet propaganda. They took a kernel of truth (it’s sharp!) and duped me into thinking it was smooth. Well there’s an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again. Or something like that (thanks GW.)

I do think people who like extremely sharp blades may enjoy the Permasharp Super. Personally, it was far too harsh an experience for me to ever try again. Sensitive skin shavers beware. This is not the blade for you. In light of that, i’m giving the Permasharp Super an overall score of 4 out of 10. Sharp to be sure, but harsh as a siberian winter.

Up next, we move from Russia to Egypt with the Lord Super Stainless. Until then, happy shaving!

Attachments

• 300FAED2-C9BD-4F79-B3BC-4E80EF32C6D8.jpeg
    300FAED2-C9BD-4F79-B3BC-4E80EF32C6D8.jpeg
    1,004.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 6B440883-E41F-45F2-B9CD-C3390265694F.jpeg
    6B440883-E41F-45F2-B9CD-C3390265694F.jpeg
    1,000.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 62FE85CE-D882-4FA2-9C86-4687C5A33C39.jpeg
    62FE85CE-D882-4FA2-9C86-4687C5A33C39.jpeg
    1,009 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Thanks BigJ! The Permasharp was kind of a disappointment. I was expecting something akin to a polsilver but instead i got a very sharp, very harsh blade. Definitely not one i’ll be using again.

I suspect very sharp at the wrong angle would be very harsh. I have this one on the list, but I won't get to it until sometime in 2020 at the soonest as I'm only using four blades a year or so....

You might want to try again sometime with lighter pressure and a very shallow shaving angle, that's what works best for me with "sharp" blades -- all razor blades are sharp, the differences are in the grinding and polishing angles plus coatings, not how fine the actual edge is I think.

I suspect very sharp at the wrong angle would be very harsh. I have this one on the list, but I won't get to it until sometime in 2020 at the soonest as I'm only using four blades a year or so....

You might want to try again sometime with lighter pressure and a very shallow shaving angle, that's what works best for me with "sharp" blades -- all razor blades are sharp, the differences are in the grinding and polishing angles plus coatings, not how fine the actual edge is I think.

I did try playing around with different pressure and angle with the second blade but never could get it to work well for me. Personally i suspect the blade may not be teflon coated or perhaps the coating wears off quickly. I didn’t mention it in the review but i got a lot of blade feel from the Permasharp which is unusual in the Vanderhagen razor i use regularly. To me it’s a “mid” agressive razor that trends toward the mild side, so normally i don’t get much blade feel. The permasharp had a lot of blade feel to it so i surmised that it might be uncoated since i’ve had similar experiences with blades that aren’t. Just a guess though.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I tried one of these recently, and it was quite a disappointing blade at first, tugging much like the Polsilver does for me, but not as bad. It seemed to be sharp yet tugging, which I equate to the blade not being at skin level. I moved it to my most aggressive DE razor, a Super Slim Twist (still quite mild really), and it did perform better.

Not one I'd stock up on, because it doesn't suit my primary razor, but for users of more aggressive razors, it may work a lot better. This is the same problem I had with Polsilvers, which wouldn't perform well in any of my razors, and only performed like a proper blade once put in the equally unpleasant (for me) Fatip Grande - a razor I was quick to pass along to someone else.

Great Review and appreciate your candor. Fortunately I had a better experience with this blade but did have minor irritation and by the third use it was mediocre. Look forward to your reviews.

Great Review and appreciate your candor. Fortunately I had a better experience with this blade but did have minor irritation and by the third use it was mediocre. Look forward to your reviews.

Thanks Starsky! Most seemed to fare better than i did with this blade. I think it may have been a bit too sharp for me. Thankfully i still have many more to try!

I tried one of these recently, and it was quite a disappointing blade at first, tugging much like the Polsilver does for me, but not as bad. It seemed to be sharp yet tugging, which I equate to the blade not being at skin level. I moved it to my most aggressive DE razor, a Super Slim Twist (still quite mild really), and it did perform better.

Not one I'd stock up on, because it doesn't suit my primary razor, but for users of more aggressive razors, it may work a lot better. This is the same problem I had with Polsilvers, which wouldn't perform well in any of my razors, and only performed like a proper blade once put in the equally unpleasant (for me) Fatip Grande - a razor I was quick to pass along to someone else.

I experienced the same thing with a Lord Platinum i’m currently using. It’s funny how changing the exposure can change your whole view of the blade. It’s the main reason why while i like writing and reading reviews, blade perception is so varied based on razor and skin/beard characteristics it’s almost impossible to give an accurate review. YMMV always applies! Unfortunately i never tried it with the Permasharp but since i primarily use my Vanderhagen razor, i try to find blades that work well in it. Sadly, the Permasharp did not.

Nice review.! I shaved with a couple a while back & both gave me no problems. Both were sharp & smooth for me. I got about X7 shaves on both but, I have a medium beard type though.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Unfortunately i never tried it with the Permasharp but since i primarily use my Vanderhagen razor, i try to find blades that work well in it. Sadly, the Permasharp did not.

We're on the same page :) I primarily use my Ed Jagger, so only stocked up on blades that work well in that one razor, even though I do use other DEs occasionally.

I have only tried this blade in my Rockwell 6S, and I liked it quite a bit in that razor. I'll have to give it try in other razors to see how it performs.

yeah wth!! man this is smoothest blade i found so far lol. in my merkur 23c its crqzy how smooth it is lol. i dont see what going on in this review lmao. maybe ur rqzor combo. i just got the 6c and will try it out in that soon but do t see why it wouldnt be smooth. hmmm.....

yeah wth!! man this is smoothest blade i found so far lol. in my merkur 23c its crqzy how smooth it is lol. i dont see what going on in this review lmao. maybe ur rqzor combo. i just got the 6c and will try it out in that soon but do t see why it wouldnt be smooth. hmmm.....

Lots of people share your sentiment. I think for me it comes down to the blade coating vs sharpness level. This blade was just too sharp for my face and the coating (whatever it was) didn’t last long enough. I don’t have partictularly sensitive skin but i do have a pretty tough beard. So even with the sharpest blades it takes some blade buffing to get close to a BBS shave. If the blade is really sharp and the coating goes away quick, it’ll be a harsh shave. Which is what i got from the Perma.

thanks for the review!
personally I was quite amazed with the performance of this blade, but then again, I can't compare it to any other 'very sharp' blades yet. (was using Voskhod and Gillette 7o'clock green previously)

Top Bottom