What's new

Macduff’s Monthly Blade Review: Lord Super Stainless

So i'm back with another monthly review! As before, each blade will be reviewed based on a 2 pass (plus touch up) shave using a Van Der Hagen long handled razor, some atrocious “Peace” soap that should never have been used for shaving and a generic Fento badger brush. I run through 2 of each blade and use each 4 times; for a total of 8 shaves per brand. I'll be grading based on sharpness, smoothness, longevity and consistency. Price will be a factor but only of it's very cheap or expensive since most DE blades are pretty cheap comparatively.

After a couple months hiatus, the unreviewed blades are starting to stack up and i need to get them committed to the B&B archives before my feeble brain forgets the specifics. First up, the Lord Super Stainless.

For whatever reason, the name Lord conjures up images for me of a stately knight riding in full armor through his village of peasants; watching with fatherly pride as they till the land he owns. Of course it’s possible i’ve been watching too much game of thrones and my mind is stuck in medieval mode. I suppose Lord could also be one of those awful english lords of the 18th century whose smug aristocratic demeanor made it a little easier for those men to fire the first shots at Lexington and Concord. Either way, Lord BLADES are actually made in Egypt and bear no similarities to anything i just described (though they DO have a sword on the tuck packaging.)

The wrapper packaging on the Super Stainless says LORD in blue on a white background. Pretty simple. The blade itself is similarly unadorned with just the words LORD and SUPER STAINLESS. So much for grand knights and wealthy aristocrats. These appear to be “chromium coated” according to a couple websites but as always with coatings, that may or may not be true. So how did this (in my mind) regal blade actually shave? Well, lets just say some Lords were known for their cruelty...

First up is sharpness. On the first swipe i knew i was in for a rough ride with the Lord SS. The tugging was sufficient for me to wonder whether i’d pulled a bad blade. Alas, i always run each blade 4 times so i was locked in even if i did. The subsequent 4 shaves were just short of murderously awful. It wasn’t so much that the blade was tearing up my face, it just was NOT removing stubble. Never have i blade buffed with such reckless abandon. Each of the 4 shaves seemed identical in its inability to cut hair. This was by far the dullest blade i’ve used outside of the Tiger 3H. Which isn’t actually meant for shaving. No matter how many times i went over the same area, stubble remained. I just couldn’t get a close shave. Thinking the first blade may have been a dud, i had hope for the second. Alas, it was exactly the same. It was truly a rough 8 shaves.

Smoothness was a bit of a different story. The tugging was pretty unpleasant during the shave, but even despite all the buffing and going over the same areas again and again, my face didn’t feel all that torn up. And only 1 or 2 weepers out of the 8 shaves. So smooth feeling it was not, but perhaps the dullness was to thank for a relatively irritation free shave.

Longevity is hard to measure here because each shave was so awful. They all felt equally as dull so perhaps longevity is good...if you like a brutal shave. Maybe the Lord is consistent but the sheer awfulness of the shave leaves me no choice but to give it a bad mark for longevity.

Consistency is also tough because both blades gave me a consistently bad shave. If that’s what the manufacturer aimed for they hit it spot on. I won’t ding it too hard here though because i can’t say i noticed a marked difference in blades.

Price for the Lord SS is very good at 11.35 per 100 on amazon, but it would basically like paying someone to hit you. If they gave these things away i’d still consider growing a beard.

Despite my opening remarks about knights and upper crust lords being a bit off mark for an Egyptian blade having nothing to do with either, i’ll keep it consistent and say that if the Lord blade was a lord proper, he’d be the sadistic, draw and quarter my peasants type. I truly feel that this was right up there with the worst shaves i’ve ever had. I’d quit DE shaving for good if i had to use these things regularly. I considered awarding a 3 out of 10 overall just because my face wasn’t hacked to pieces post shave, but who am i kidding? These blades were atrocious and deserving of lower. Therefore, they get an overall 2 out of 10. Just marginally better than the Tiger 3H which still maintains top honors for worst blade of all time.

With that horrible memory out of the way, next up in Macduff review land is the Lord Superior Platinum. Can Lord shake its cruel reputation? Or will I once again be subjected to the DE shaving equivalent of medieval torture? Stay tuned...

Attachments

• F368EEDC-9E03-41F5-9FE8-C4C79893B87C.jpeg
    F368EEDC-9E03-41F5-9FE8-C4C79893B87C.jpeg
    309.8 KB · Views: 45
  • C156FED3-CB9D-44AE-96AC-CFB755E119F6.jpeg
    C156FED3-CB9D-44AE-96AC-CFB755E119F6.jpeg
    307.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 02A65537-91B1-4AD7-AAF5-08DE3E0B6D75.jpeg
    02A65537-91B1-4AD7-AAF5-08DE3E0B6D75.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 43
‘..Longevity is difficult to measure here because each shave was so awful..’

Great review!! Thanks for taking this one for the team Sir!! :a17::a17:

Thanks BigJ! Always appreciate your comments! The Lord SS was one of those blades i’m surprised anyone can use.

Wow I'm a bit surprised. I've only tried Shark super chrome and as far as I remember they are great. Are these so much different even though they are made in the same plant?

Wow I'm a bit surprised. I've only tried Shark super chrome and as far as I remember they are great. Are these so much different even though they are made in the same plant?

I was no fan of Shark SC’s but they are WORLDS better than the Lord SS. I’ve not encountered a mainstream blade as dull. The Lord Super Platinum’s are a different story. If you want to try out a Lord blade, i’d advise skipping the Super Stainless and going for the Platinum.

I have a Lord blade sampler. I'll stay away from the Super Stainless!!
I like the Lord Silver Star. The Silver Star gets good reviews, but it doesn't seem that popular here.

I have a Lord blade sampler. I'll stay away from the Super Stainless!!
I like the Lord Silver Star. The Silver Star gets good reviews, but it doesn't seem that popular here.

I’d recommend skipping it but i’m actually curious if there are people out there that get a good shave from these things. For what i’ve read here, consistency is pretty bad on Lord blades so perhaps i just got two bad ones. And as always YMMV so who knows you may like it! If you do try it let me know what you think. I’ve not read many reviews of the SS as most people go with the Super Platinum.

Another area where personal opinions can differ. I have no problems getting a BBS shave with any of the Lord blades: SS, SC. or Platinum. The SS, however, gives me only two shaves. my favorite of the three is the Platinum.

I’d recommend skipping it but i’m actually curious if there are people out there that get a good shave from these things. For what i’ve read here, consistency is pretty bad on Lord blades so perhaps i just got two bad ones. And as always YMMV so who knows you may like it! If you do try it let me know what you think. I’ve not read many reviews of the SS as most people go with the Super Platinum.
Ill try one tomorrow morning and report back here.

Another area where personal opinions can differ. I have no problems getting a BBS shave with any of the Lord blades: SS, SC. or Platinum. The SS, however, gives me only two shaves. my favorite of the three is the Platinum.

Yeah blades are funny like that. One man’s worst shave ever is another man’s go to blade. Sometimes i wonder whether it’s helpful to post reviews at all. But they’re fun so i keep doing them. Always interesting to hear different reactions.

I put a fresh Lord Super Stainless in my short handled BlackBeauty on 6, lathered up with Williams, and shaved almost half my face. I stopped after a few strokes on my neck and switched to a Slim with a GSB. I found the blade a definite mid-range blade. While it wasn't a face-ripper, it felt dull and prickly. It left much more stubble after the first pass than my usual top pick blades. I certainly could have finished the shave, but the feel of the blade to me was so different to my preferred blades I saw no point in continuing an uncomfortable shave. The dullest blades in my current rotation are India Wilkies. In my opinion, India Wilkies are much sharper and smoother than Lord Super Stainless.
Other members like them. Maybe we both got a dud tuck.

These blades are the only ones I can use for daily shaving. They do not tear up my face, and because they don’t shave as close as a Feather, I do not get ingrown hairs. Rather important qualities, imo.

Yeah blades are funny like that. One man’s worst shave ever is another man’s go to blade. Sometimes i wonder whether it’s helpful to post reviews at all. But they’re fun so i keep doing them. Always interesting to hear different reactions.

Posting reviews with similar thread titles as you do is helpful to some people. They can see if their experiences are similar to yours on some blades, then base some sample purchases on your reviews of other blades. My face seems to like most blades, so its a longevity test for me, but I have made some brush purchases based on recommendations from people that liked qualities in a brush that I like.

Nothing's more true here than this... I have had pretty good shaves with most Lord blades that I've used in the past couple years and my go to blade is the Shark Super Chrome. The 3 worst blades I've used to date are Feather, Kai, and GSB!! I finally gave up on trying to figure out why they just tear up my face. I seem to get nothing but a bunch of skipping and tugging from them all regardless if its the 1st , 2nd, or 5th shave and thats with multiple razors and soaps in the mix also... Same results though so these days I don't usually stray at all and keep it simple and stay where I know I will get the results I expect to get and Sharks are the ones to delivery that.

Thanks BigJ! Always appreciate your comments! The Lord SS was one of those blades i’m surprised anyone can use.

I'm a bit ashamed to admit it, but I usually use an Edwin Jagger razor and the Lord blades work great in combination with it. They're not Feather or Super Iridium blades (man I'm glad I loaded up on those when I did), but I can get a week of fine shaves out of a blade.

I tried my first Lord SS in a Baili travel razor. All my notes on them echo the same sentiment--an unmistakable feeling of 'roughness'. I couldn't put my finger on it and chalked it up to being fairly new. A couple weeks ago I tried another Lord SS in my daily driver, a Merkur 38c, and while not as 'rough' it still didn't feel sharp, the shaves were mediocre at best. But I have tried both Shark SS and SC and really enjoyed them both. Have a Silver Star to take for a spin soon.

Truth. The whole YMMV vary thing is so true, that no, the reviews are simply not particularly helpful. But it is fun, especially when, as in this case, the reviewer can write well.

Top Bottom