What's new

Macduff’s Monthly Blade Review: Kai Stainless Steel

So i'm back with another monthly review! As before, each blade will be reviewed based on a 2 pass (plus touch up) shave using a Van Der Hagen long handled razor and a generic Fento badger brush. Thankfully the nightmarish “Peace” soap finally gave up the ghost and i’m on to something actually made for shaving.

Soap for the next couple months is from the fine folks at Long Rifle Soap Company. The soap is 1776 and man, what a sweet departure from shaving with glorified bar soap! Anyway, I run through 2 of each blade and use each 4 times; for a total of 8 shaves per brand. I'll be grading based on sharpness, smoothness, longevity and consistency. Price will be a factor but only of it's very cheap or expensive since most DE blades are pretty cheap comparatively.

This month i’m reviewing Kai Stainless Steel blades. One of the few blades from Japan, this one has been on my radar since i started. For better or worse, it’s been kind of the little brother of the Feather Hi-Stainless. Whereas the Feather stands out for premium sharpness and DE intimidation, the Kai kind of recedes into an afterthought. One look at the packaging will tell you why.

In all my years on earth, i’ve never seen such absence of marketing for a product. Not only is the wrapper plain white with no markings, the blade is too! There is absolutely no way to tell this blade even exists as a brand. I’ve never factored in packaging to a review but i seriously considered docking a point here for lack of effort...But as always, don’t judge a book by it’s cover. How did the blade shave?!

1st shave was sharp and slightly harsh. I tried and failed to find what these are coated with but to me it doesn’t feel like they have any coating. Sharp they are, but i couldn’t avoid weepers shaving with these blades. 2nd, 3rd and 4th shaves were unlike any blade i’ve yet tried. Each was exactly the same. As in no discernible difference in sharpness or harshness. Each produced a very good result with some weepers. Ironically in the same spots every time. The sameness was overwhelming. Call it Japanese efficiency.

Smoothness was lacking but not in a huge way. The blade just felt RAW. It let me know i was dragging a piece of steel over my skin but it was sharp enough to do it without mangling my face. There wasn’t much tugging but there was an absence of the nice glide you get from a heavily Teflon’d blade. The smoothness really comes from this thing being sharp and that’s it. It wasn’t exactly smooth but i wouldn’t call it harsh either.

Longevity actually seemed great on these. Shaves 1-4 felt exactly the same so i would’ve been comfortable going 2 or more shaves easily.

Consistency is obviously top notch as i couldn’t tell what shave i was on from day to day. To me this is the mark of a great steel and a well sharpened blade. This thing just kept going and delivered the same shave from pass to pass.

Price, well....it’s absurd. $36.99 on amazon per 100. This makes the Kai the most expensive blade i’ve yet reviewed (Polsilvers hadn’t yet been price gouged when i first reviewed them.) Something tells me the steel they use is very expensive. Just a hunch but i have a feeling these blades are about as high quality a steel as you’ll find manufactured. They’re certainly not using the money on packaging...

So how would i rate these overall? To me they’re a solid 7 out of 10. BUT i’m docking a point for the absurd price and absurd lack of effort given to packaging. I can get down with a minimalist look (Maine Brewing Company anyone?!) but this just struck me as not caring. No blade stamp? No name on the package?! And PURE WHITE?! At least make it with some color. It reminded me of the blade they’d give someone on death row. I can hear the corrections officer now... “Listen pal, it’ll do the job. The state isn’t paying for you to enjoy this. Do you want a clean shave or not?” A 6 out of ten is my final score for the Kai. Yes, it was a good blade. But great it was not.

As always i’m pushing through the sampler pack so next up is the Gillette 7 o’clock Super Platinum. In the interim i wish you, my fellow B&B’ers happy shaves and i’ll be back with a another review soon!

I like the minimalist packaging, and absence of sticky dots. So personally I'll add a point instead of subtracting it. Otherwise fully agree with your assessment :)

I have not used Kai blades, but when I read that you were testing blades in a VDH long handled razor, I figured that the razor was so mild that you should have little problem with any blade. Then you indicated that you got weepers every time you used them. From what I have read about the Kai, it is not all that sharp, so I wonder if the razor is so mild that you are trying to compensate by adding pressure during your shave so you can get a close shave. Weepers are often an indication of shaving with too much pressure. I have sensitive skin, yet I rarely get weepers, even when shaving with an aggressive razor. I have learned to shave with minimal pressure.

When testing razor blades, I normally do a side by side comparison using two identical razors with DE89/R89 heads. That head is moderately aggressive and quite popular among forum members, so I think it is more suitable for blade testing than the VDH/Weishi razor which is one of the mildest razors you can purchase. However, I can understand your trying to find the best blade for your razor.

I don't think it's wise to buy 100 of this unless it's the ONLY blade that works for you, which is highly unlikely.

The prices on the internet for Kai blades is just daylight robbery.

Forgot to add pics!

Attachments

• FE25EAB2-EFFE-436B-A691-D2359437A803.jpeg
    FE25EAB2-EFFE-436B-A691-D2359437A803.jpeg
    999.9 KB · Views: 45
  • F85E1896-DA56-4E0F-945B-7A1546000AD4.jpeg
    F85E1896-DA56-4E0F-945B-7A1546000AD4.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 44
  • 5ACF2193-3D65-40F0-A25B-CE99098C6BB7.jpeg
    5ACF2193-3D65-40F0-A25B-CE99098C6BB7.jpeg
    246.8 KB · Views: 45
I don't think it's wise to buy 100 of this unless it's the ONLY blade that works for you, which is highly unlikely.

The prices on the internet for Kai blades is just daylight robbery.

So true. It’s rare for me to factor price into my reviews but these are just stupidly expensive. @RayClem it’s possible i used too much pressure but i factor that into my reviews. There are enough blades that give me weeper free shaves that when a blade does consistently produce the red stuff, i dock it points. It’s one of those mysteries of shaving as to why blades are good for some and not others. All of those variables like razor aggression, pressure, angle, soap, skin, etc. come into play and it’s too complicated to point to one factor as the reason a blade isn’t working for me. So i simply call it like i see it and move on to the next one. As i said though, i think the Kai is a very solid blade, just not for me.

Weirdly, that guy who was testing blades found Kai to not be that sharp, which conflicts with nearly every review of the blade I've seen. I wonder if there was an error in his testing. Another theory I've seen is that Kai blades are slightly wider or stiffer or something that creates more blade exposure and gives the impression of sharpness. I have 1 here from an old sampler I will try eventually.

Weirdly, that guy who was testing blades found Kai to not be that sharp, which conflicts with nearly every review of the blade I've seen. I wonder if there was an error in his testing. Another theory I've seen is that Kai blades are slightly wider or stiffer or something that creates more blade exposure and gives the impression of sharpness. I have 1 here from an old sampler I will try eventually.

If you’re referring to refinedshave.com, he actually found that it was pretty sharp after the first use. It was just the initial sharpness that was surprisingly bad. I’ll be honest i found no difference from first shave to last, but it certainly struck me as one of the sharper blades i’ve used.

So i'm back with another monthly review! As before, each blade will be reviewed based on a 2 pass (plus touch up) shave using a Van Der Hagen long handled razor and a generic Fento badger brush. Thankfully the nightmarish “Peace” soap finally gave up the ghost and i’m on to something actually made for shaving.

Soap for the next couple months is from the fine folks at Long Rifle Soap Company. The soap is 1776 and man, what a sweet departure from shaving with glorified bar soap! Anyway, I run through 2 of each blade and use each 4 times; for a total of 8 shaves per brand. I'll be grading based on sharpness, smoothness, longevity and consistency. Price will be a factor but only of it's very cheap or expensive since most DE blades are pretty cheap comparatively.

This month i’m reviewing Kai Stainless Steel blades. One of the few blades from Japan, this one has been on my radar since i started. For better or worse, it’s been kind of the little brother of the Feather Hi-Stainless. Whereas the Feather stands out for premium sharpness and DE intimidation, the Kai kind of recedes into an afterthought. One look at the packaging will tell you why.

In all my years on earth, i’ve never seen such absence of marketing for a product. Not only is the wrapper plain white with no markings, the blade is too! There is absolutely no way to tell this blade even exists as a brand. I’ve never factored in packaging to a review but i seriously considered docking a point here for lack of effort...But as always, don’t judge a book by it’s cover. How did the blade shave?!

1st shave was sharp and slightly harsh. I tried and failed to find what these are coated with but to me it doesn’t feel like they have any coating. Sharp they are, but i couldn’t avoid weepers shaving with these blades. 2nd, 3rd and 4th shaves were unlike any blade i’ve yet tried. Each was exactly the same. As in no discernible difference in sharpness or harshness. Each produced a very good result with some weepers. Ironically in the same spots every time. The sameness was overwhelming. Call it Japanese efficiency.

Smoothness was lacking but not in a huge way. The blade just felt RAW. It let me know i was dragging a piece of steel over my skin but it was sharp enough to do it without mangling my face. There wasn’t much tugging but there was an absence of the nice glide you get from a heavily Teflon’d blade. The smoothness really comes from this thing being sharp and that’s it. It wasn’t exactly smooth but i wouldn’t call it harsh either.

Longevity actually seemed great on these. Shaves 1-4 felt exactly the same so i would’ve been comfortable going 2 or more shaves easily.

Consistency is obviously top notch as i couldn’t tell what shave i was on from day to day. To me this is the mark of a great steel and a well sharpened blade. This thing just kept going and delivered the same shave from pass to pass.

Price, well....it’s absurd. $36.99 on amazon per 100. This makes the Kai the most expensive blade i’ve yet reviewed (Polsilvers hadn’t yet been price gouged when i first reviewed them.) Something tells me the steel they use is very expensive. Just a hunch but i have a feeling these blades are about as high quality a steel as you’ll find manufactured. They’re certainly not using the money on packaging...

So how would i rate these overall? To me they’re a solid 7 out of 10. BUT i’m docking a point for the absurd price and absurd lack of effort given to packaging. I can get down with a minimalist look (Maine Brewing Company anyone?!) but this just struck me as not caring. No blade stamp? No name on the package?! And PURE WHITE?! At least make it with some color. It reminded me of the blade they’d give someone on death row. I can hear the corrections officer now... “Listen pal, it’ll do the job. The state isn’t paying for you to enjoy this. Do you want a clean shave or not?” A 6 out of ten is my final score for the Kai. Yes, it was a good blade. But great it was not.

As always i’m pushing through the sampler pack so next up is the Gillette 7 o’clock Super Platinum. In the interim i wish you, my fellow B&B’ers happy shaves and i’ll be back with a another review soon!
You hit on what I believe is the defining characteristic of KAI blades: The amazing consistency between shaves!

I don't find them very sharp at all, but they do feel very comfortable on my face, and they leave my face feeling extremely comfortable afterwards. Unlike you though, I do not get cuts or weepers from KAI, and in fact I find them one of the blades least likely to cause any cuts.

But they sure feel consistent, shave after shave ...

Thanks for the review.
& considering the price & anonymous packaging, has KAI set themselves up for counterfeits?

Excellent review!! Thanks.

If you can get beyond the packaging and the price, then these are very fine, VERY SHARP blades!!

Great review!

This is a blade that simply didn’t work for me. I tried one 2-3 times (new blade each time) and without fail had to remove it from the razor mid shave. Not sure why but rough and harsh for me. It wasn’t the sharpness that did me in persay, I love Feathers! [emoji2369]

Top Bottom