What's new

Macduff’s Monthly Blade Review: Gillette Sputnik

So i'm back with another monthly review! As before, each blade will be reviewed based on a 2 pass (plus touch up) shave using a Van Der Hagen long handled razor, Long Rifle 1776 soap and a generic Fento badger brush.
I run through 2 of each blade and use each 4 times; for a total of 8 shaves per brand. I'll be grading based on sharpness, smoothness, longevity and consistency. Price will be a factor but only of it's very cheap or expensive since most DE blades are pretty cheap comparatively.

This month I’m reviewing a blade that’s a microcosm of the long and relatively bloodless (but utterly terrifying) Cold War itself: The Gillette Sputnik. You may be asking “Macduff, WHY is this blade a microcosm of the Cold War?!” Well allow me to give you, my fellow B&B’ers, some backstory!

The Sputnik blade, as it was know back in its Red Soviet days, was THE blade of the USSR. It’s very name was the symbol of soviet progress and ingenuity. @mjclark did a brief and glowing review of these cold war era relics but noted that they didn’t last long. Also, his second go with them yielded an unusable mess of a blade. So obviously these babies were communist russia at it’s most predictable: flashes of brilliance with **** poor quality control. Shortly thereafter came the “Sputnik Chrome” which was meant for export to western markets and is the forerunner to the Gillette Sputnik blades we can purchase today. The tuck packaging is very similar (adorned beautifully in the colors of the Russian flag with a speeding Sputnik front and center) to the current iteration but noticeably lacking is the TEFLON (tm) coating we find on them now.

This brings us to the end of the cold war and the Gillette buyout of Russian DE blade factories. The Sputnik name was retained, teflon was added and behold, capitalism triumphs over communism! From a blade made to celebrate the USSR’s greatest achievement to a faceless US corporate takeover, ol’ Sputnik has seen it all. And is still here for us to shave with today! Which brings me to, of course, the shaves themselves!

Per usual the first order of business is sharpness. Right out of the box the beauties were...dull. Not rip your hair out dull just fairly unremarkable. 2nd, 3rd 4th shaves...all identical. Take that sloppy communist quality control! Gillette is here to show you what american consistency is all about! Which turns out is mediocre blandness. The second blade proved more of the same. Each shave was utterly uninspiring but serviceable. I quite literally noticed no change in sharpness throughout all 8 shaves. A first for me because most blades sharpen up or dull down (or both) over the course of 4 shaves. Not the Sputnik! A straight and narrow sharpness just like the orbit of ol’ Sputnik herself! (Well ok maybe not really since orbits decay and eventually Sputnik just fell to earth and burned up but who really has time for all that science?)

Smoothness was decent on these. No weepers or post shave irritation; though the shave itself was kinda rough due to the dullish nature of the blade. Definitely not a harsh blade by any measure but shaving comfort (i.e. tug and pull) was not the greatest.

Longevity seemed top notch as i didn’t notice any decrease in sharpness over the 4 shaves on each blade. I think this one would easily go 6 shaves or more.

Consistency also earns top marks. The Sputnik was possibly THE most consistent blade i’ve yet tried. It’s both a blessing and a curse in terms of my enjoyment of the blade but it was very consistent.

Price is a bit on the high end. Ebay has them for 19.95 per 100 which is getting into top tier price-range when it comes to DE blades. Definitely not a bargain blade for those thrifty souls looking for a deal.

So what’s the final verdict on these memorials to past soviet glory?! Do they celebrate the best mother russia has to offer? Like a workers day parade in red square? Or are they a dangerous reminder of a failed system; like the still smoldering remains of K-19? I wrestled with scoring this one because it does do a-lot well. It’s not harsh, it’s very consistent and it has great longevity. On the flipside the shaves themselves were tuggy and frankly, uneventful. I like blades that wow me in one aspect or another. This blade was just solid. Like a Kalashnikov. It did what i asked it to do and nothing more. It wasn’t the best but also far from the worst. I thought i may give the Sputnik a 7 because i could definitely see this being liked in a similar way as Voskhod, but the Voskhod is just a better blade and i scored that a 7. So ultimately the Sputnik comes in with a very respectable “high” 6 overall. Worth trying, especially for those with lighter beards who won’t mind the lack of sharpness. It may in fact be a truly top tier blade for someone that doesn’t experience tugging as the other blade characteristics are pretty top notch. So i recommend trying them as they might work out well. And with that comrades, my Sputnik review has now gone the way of the Berlin Wall. Recorded in the annals of B&B history. Up next will be the Gillette 7o’clock Sharp Edge. Until then, happy shaving!

Attachments

• 60AFA078-436E-4A50-97AB-278432393FC2.jpeg
    60AFA078-436E-4A50-97AB-278432393FC2.jpeg
    1,023.1 KB · Views: 57
  • E268A938-E337-4E15-A948-5FDA2E10075F.jpeg
    E268A938-E337-4E15-A948-5FDA2E10075F.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 53
  • 92FFBA81-D9DC-4EA1-82B7-E904E0BDB358.jpeg
    92FFBA81-D9DC-4EA1-82B7-E904E0BDB358.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 50
  • B1E15BD9-3A09-4268-BF40-91C7525EAB5A.jpeg
    B1E15BD9-3A09-4268-BF40-91C7525EAB5A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Great review thanks!

I have a packet of white Sputnik Stainless with a ship logo made in the USSR and didn't know anything about them.

When I feel brave enough I'll ty them.

Love the historical background! Also can't help but smirk at the irony of Gillette coming in and barely making an improvement on the blade.

Another good read, and a most thorough, informative review. Thanks, MacDuff!

Thanks @ajkel64! And @rosgr63 i’d be excited to try those if i were you! Like i said in the writeup, one of the members here tried them and said that though they dull quickly, they’re supposedly great blades. Unless of course you hit a soviet dud in which case i think you’ll know pretty quickly. Where did you get them if i may ask? I’m not into vintage blades but i love all things cold war and would love to find some of those.

Interesting example of YMMV. I used a Sputnik for the first time about 3 weeks ago and had it in my mind it was a sharp blade after using it. Maybe that was just my preconceived notion because I knew it was a PPI blade. Looking at my notes I kept mentioning smoothness, and I note I got 9 shaves out of it - 2 in the Dollar Tree Assured TTO which usually barks at me with a poor blade. I was going to purchase a few more because the price for them is slightly lower than for the other PPI Gillette blades from RBC, and I like the idea of a blade that lasts for 9 shaves :)

Digging deeper into my notes I see the Sputnik came after I used a Ladas. I like the Ladas for its buttery smoothness, but I've never confused it as a 'sharp' blade. Maybe my conception of the Sputnik as 'sharp' is just in comparison to it being used right after the Ladas in my rotation.

Thanks for all the hard work you do with these reports.

Thanks @DEPenguin! I too found it funny that Gillette swooped in, threw on some Teflon and declared victory for capitalism. Too ironic. There may be serious gaps in my short history lesson as that was all i could find, but i thought it was interesting especially given the history between the us and russia as well the symbolism involved. And @geneaut i’ve had the same experience going from a dullish blade to something sharper. I wouldn’t consider the Sputnik super dull though. More medium. I checked the refined shave after to see what it measured and i think the first shave was a 53 (dull) and the rest were around 43 which is pretty medium. I perceived the sharpness as staying the same throughout but the numbers don’t lie! I also have a very wiry beard so a lot of the blades in the mid-sharp range give me issues as far as comfort during the shave. I try to write my reviews by identifying the good and bad qualities of a blade so that people reading can say “hey i’d like to try that” or “sounds like something i’d hate” regardless of what my subjective overall score is. It’s the best way i can think of for reviewing something so subjective with so many variables. Again, thanks for the kind words!

Thanks @DEPenguin! I too found it funny that Gillette swooped in, threw on some Teflon and declared victory for capitalism. Too ironic.

Why should they (they being PPI) improve the Sputnik? It's intentionally their bottom of the line blade there and if it was good enough for the buyers before, it's still good enough now. It's not as though the average Russian is swimming in money. If Sputniks were too expensive they wouldn't compete with the Mostochlegmash blades.

If Russian consumers want a better quality blade, the plant makes Rubies for the home market too.

Why should they (they being PPI) improve the Sputnik? It's intentionally their bottom of the line blade there and if it was good enough for the buyers before, it's still good enough now. It's not as though the average Russian is swimming in money. If Sputniks were too expensive they wouldn't compete with the Mostochlegmash blades.

If Russian consumers want a better quality blade, the plant makes Rubies for the home market too.

My point was more the irony of the whole thing. A classic soviet blade is bought by america’s biggest soulless capitalist corporation, they slap some TRADEMARKED Teflon on it to make it “new and improved” and then call it a day. It’s just a very american thing to do.

Interesting example of YMMV. I used a Sputnik for the first time about 3 weeks ago and had it in my mind it was a sharp blade after using it. Maybe that was just my preconceived notion because I knew it was a PPI blade. Looking at my notes I kept mentioning smoothness, and I note I got 9 shaves out of it - 2 in the Dollar Tree Assured TTO which usually barks at me with a poor blade. I was going to purchase a few more because the price for them is slightly lower than for the other PPI Gillette blades from RBC, and I like the idea of a blade that lasts for 9 shaves :)

Digging deeper into my notes I see the Sputnik came after I used a Ladas. I like the Ladas for its buttery smoothness, but I've never confused it as a 'sharp' blade. Maybe my conception of the Sputnik as 'sharp' is just in comparison to it being used right after the Ladas in my rotation.

Thanks for all the hard work you do with these reports.

If I am evaluating a new blade, I like to compare it side by side in two identical razors with another blade. For me, that is the best way to tell whether a new blade is sharper or smoother than a blade I already use. Typically, I will use a EJ DE89 vs a Muhle R89 since the heads are identical. Those are moderately aggressive razors with which I have ample experience. Macduff uses a VDH long handled razor (which I also have in my collection), but it is a mild razor with little blade exposure, so I am not sure it is the best platform for evaluating blade smoothness. However, the razor is likely to have difficulty with a dull blade.

I have not tried Sputnik blades. Some recent evaluations I have done are:
Gillette Perma-Sharp Stainless- extremely sharp and smooth. Too sharp for me in an aggressive razor.
Dorco Prime Platinum- very sharp and very smooth- a great blade in many razors
Personna Israeli Reds- very sharp and smooth
Gillette Wilkinson Sword (China)- Decent blades, but I prefer the German Wilkies
SuperMax Blue Diamond- Sort of like the Gillette Wilkinson Sword blades. They work better for me in an aggressive razor.

Shark Super Chrome blades are not sharp enough for my beard, but Lord has recently introduced a Shark Platinum blade. I have a pack on order, hoping that the new blades will be sharper than the Super Chromes. The platinums are a little more expensive than the Chromes, I hope my money was not wasted.

My point was more the irony of the whole thing. A classic soviet blade is bought by america’s biggest soulless capitalist corporation, they slap some TRADEMARKED Teflon on it to make it “new and improved” and then call it a day. It’s just a very american thing to do.

Oh, that. Well that's just a process as old as time, everyone everywhere does that. Who lets a perfectly good marketing opportunity go to waste? But they had to anyway, if they're going to buy real Teflon and put it on their product they'd damn well better call out the TM or DuPont's going to sue.

Besides, if we're having a competition for soulless corporations, IMO they're not going to come out ahead of most airlines or telecommunications companies...... :D

Wonderful review!!

“Right out of the box these beauties were DULL.....” You had me there!! :a21::a21:

There are a few blades like Feather that start out extremely sharp and then fade quickly. Most blades become much sharper after the first use. It sounds like Sputnik is one of those blades. Some people "cork" new blades to remove some of the coating and make the first shave sharper. A few blades start dull and remain dull, but for those with a fine beard, they may be sharp enough.

@RayClem i think your way of evaluating blades is a good one and agree that i could probably use a better razor than the Van Der Hagen for testing. But it’s my daily driver and i want each blade to be evaluated using the razor i’ll actually end up using them in. I’m not a big razor guy (aftershaves and blades are my variety in shaving) so i’m sticking with the Van Der Hagen till it breaks. I’ll probably get something high end if it ever does and be done with it for life.

@RayClem i think your way of evaluating blades is a good one and agree that i could probably use a better razor than the Van Der Hagen for testing. But it’s my daily driver and i want each blade to be evaluated using the razor i’ll actually end up using them in. I’m not a big razor guy (aftershaves and blades are my variety in shaving) so i’m sticking with the Van Der Hagen till it breaks. I’ll probably get something high end if it ever does and be done with it for life.

I understand your reasoning for testing the way you do. As long as you (and others) recognize that the results in a very mild razor might differ from results in a more aggressive razor, your testing is fine. However, I might suggest that you pick up a second VDH so you can compare two blades side by side. Most blades change from the 1st shave to the 2nd making comparisons rather difficult if you do not test side by side.

I am old enough to remember Sputnik, the cold war, and hiding under our desks at school in case Russia dropped "The Bomb." The school administration put a lot of faith in those desks to protect our little butts. Thanks for bringing back some memories. A well crafted piece of writing. As far as the blades go, I get a tuck to keep in the cabinet for old time space race sake.

I am old enough to remember Sputnik, the cold war, and hiding under our desks at school in case Russia dropped "The Bomb." The school administration put a lot of faith in those desks to protect our little butts. Thanks for bringing back some memories. A well crafted piece of writing. As far as the blades go, I get a tuck to keep in the cabinet for old time space race sake.
THIS ONE ?
SP13.jpg

Top Bottom