What's new

Macduff’s Monthly Blade Review: Gillette 7 o’clock Super Platinum

So i'm back with another monthly review! As before, each blade will be reviewed based on a 2 pass (plus touch up) shave using a Van Der Hagen long handled razor, Long Rifle 1776 soap and a generic Fento badger brush.
I run through 2 of each blade and use each 4 times; for a total of 8 shaves per brand. I'll be grading based on sharpness, smoothness, longevity and consistency. Price will be a factor but only of it's very cheap or expensive since most DE blades are pretty cheap comparatively.

The blade this month is the Gillette 7 o’clock Super Platinum. These blades are made in India (though apparently they used to be made in Russia) and as the name implies, are platinum coated. Not counting the Gillette Wilkinson Sword (also manufactured in India) these are the first name brand Gillette DE blades i’ve tried. The packaging is nice with a white burst of light against a black background and “Gillette 7 o’clock” taking up much of the foreground. The blade itself says Gillette 7 o’clock on the top and “Super Platinum” underneath. Interestingly enough, the back of the blade wrapper is actually an advertisement. It boldly declares “For best results, use Gillette Series Shave Gel.” And it also warns would be entrepreneurs: “Not to be sold loose.” Oh Gillette you corporate devils you. As i shaved with my sold loose blade using non Gillette approved lather, i could hear a CEO somewhere silently sobbing...

Anyway enough about packaging and corporate mind control, on to the shave!

The first shave was decently sharp and glided pretty well through my beard. Had one little weeper but otherwise a very close, comfortable shave. The second shave was...sharp. Gone was the glide from the first shave; replaced with a much increased amount of blade feel and sharpness. Now, like all things razor blades, blade feel is a very subjective thing. Personally, i hate it. I prefer blades that feel as if they aren’t there and glide over the skin. The 7 o’clock SP was undeniably sharp but i could FEEL the sharpness on the second shave. The result was some weepers and post shave irritation. As i warily went about my 3rd shave the sharpness and blade feel held and though i managed to cut down on the weepers, the irritation was still present post shave. By the 4th shave the blade had only lost a little sharpness and the shave was very similar to the third.

Blade #2 mirrored the first in that the initial shave was excellent and then the blade feel and sharpness ramped up and stayed there. All in all this is one of the sharper blades out there after the first shave.

Smoothness as i alluded to was not so great for me. The first shave on both blades was very comfortable but once the blade sharpened up i could really feel it with each swipe. It cut stubble well but unlike a heavily teflon coated blade, the nice glide across the skin feeling was totally absent. It fully gives you the feedback that you’re dragging one of the sharpest pieces of metal ever created over your skin. Some guys like that, but for me it’s a negative. Also despite dialing back the weepers once i realized how sharp it was, i couldn’t escape the post shave irritation. Every shave left my face feeling slightly hot and puffy.

Longevity is excellent and i think this would be a good blade for you excalibur types. It retained its edge as well as any blade i’ve used and easily could’ve gone on past 6 or 7 shaves.

Consistency is also top in that both blades performed exactly alike. No QC issues here.

Price seems decent at $14.44 per 84 on amazon...until you realize you’re missing 16 blades. Priced out to the usual 100 pack it’s $17.19. Not quite Feather expensive but still in the “premium” blade price point.

So what’s the final verdict on these evil corporate money makers? Are they a poor product packaged nicely to get slobs like me to shell out my hard earned cash? A premium product offered by a world renowned brand? Or something else entirely? I think to ask those questions is merely overlooking the real question: WOULD GILLETTE SERIES SHAVE GEL HAVE GIVEN ME THE BEST RESULT?! Obviously the answer is yes. It says so right on the package.

Assuming i got the second best result using my clearly inferior shaving soap, i’d give the Gillette 7 o’clock SP a solid 6 out of 10. The blade itself is a quality product and i can see a lot of people out there really liking it. It’s extremely sharp, lasts a long time and is a very well manufactured blade. The 6 simply reflects the fact that it’s just too sharp for my face. I recommend people who like blade feel and very sharp blades to give the 7 o’clock SP a try. For others it’s still worth a shot but be warned, this thing is every bit as sharp as a Feather in my opinion. I actually find Feather’s to be very forgiving though so perhaps my opinion on the subject isn’t the best. But that’s a blade tale for another day...

Next up on the Macduff list to review is the Gillette Sputnik. I eagerly await all the communist references i can cram into that one so stay tuned and happy shaves!

Attachments

• AF9E4293-3799-4451-A4A4-197565DE4C4E.jpeg
    AF9E4293-3799-4451-A4A4-197565DE4C4E.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 28
  • F26637F5-2784-41FF-9808-79DDAF77FC0D.jpeg
    F26637F5-2784-41FF-9808-79DDAF77FC0D.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 28
  • 54C5C4B1-4564-49D6-A202-A738FD3D1144.jpeg
    54C5C4B1-4564-49D6-A202-A738FD3D1144.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 29
Nice review. I was considering buying some but I will pass. Fairly expensive if you compare them to the Wilkinson blades and the Astra SPs but for me those don’t include weepers.

Nice review. I was considering buying some but I will pass. Fairly expensive if you compare them to the Wilkinson blades and the Astra SPs but for me those don’t include weepers.

Thanks @Starsky! It may be worth trying a tuck if you like really sharp blades. Personally they were just a bit too sharp for me. I’ll have to look back in my reviews but i honestly think platinum coating doesn’t agree with my face. I can’t recall a platinum blade i’ve liked.

I tried these years ago in a fairly mild razor and frankly enjoyed them, but the cost just kept me from embracing them as an every day blade. It's been years since I used them last so I <may> revisit them as my tolerance of sharp blades has increased over the years.

Good review. I appreciate how you emphasize the YMMV aspect. Funny how they aren't supposed to be sold lose.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

If you compare Feather and the 7 O'Clock blacks side by side, you will find the Feather to be significantly sharper on the 1st shave. However, after the coating on the Blacks starts to wear off, they become one of the sharpest blades available, even sharper than Feathers on the second shave.

The PermaSharp Super blades follow a similar pattern, but the PermaSharps may be even a tad sharper than the Blacks. I love this type of super sharp blade in mild razors (the VDH TTO would qualify as mild). It does take excellent technique to avoid nicks and weepers when using Blacks and PermaSharps on the second shave. They are two sharp for me in aggressive razors.

Nice review. This is one of my favorite blades. Works nicely in my Merkur 34C and Karve SB B.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I enjoyed these blades in my (nice, mild) Wilkinson classic (the plastic one). I haven't dared try in in my more aggressive razors.

Good review. I appreciate how you emphasize the YMMV aspect. Funny how they aren't supposed to be sold lose.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks i appreciate it. I try to be objective about the good and bad aspects of each blade as i see them. Just because a blade doesn’t work for me shouldn’t rule it out for someone else. Some i can’t find anything good to say (Lord SS) but for the most part there are good aspects to every blade.

Thanks @BigJ @BigD @ajkel64 and @Frank Shaves for the kind words! Also @RayClem i definitely did not realize how sharp this blade was going in. I try to avoid reviews prior to using a blade (where possible) and had no idea what this one was about. Also the first shave was deceptive because it didn’t feel all that sharp. The second shave though, it was very noticeable. Definitely top tier sharp.

Thanks @BigJ @BigD @ajkel64 and @Frank Shaves for the kind words! Also @RayClem i definitely did not realize how sharp this blade was going in. I try to avoid reviews prior to using a blade (where possible) and had no idea what this one was about. Also the first shave was deceptive because it didn’t feel all that sharp. The second shave though, it was very noticeable. Definitely top tier sharp.

There are many blades that get a lot sharper on the 2nd shave and 7 O'Clock Black is definitely one of them. It is a great blade for those with tough beards, but overkill for those who don't.

Oddly enough, feathers worked great for me but these left my face irritated. I’ve noticed that i’ve not fared well with any platinum coated blades so maybe that has something to do with it.

OK, so not just me. I had two of them in a sampler, found the first one too prickly and annoying for my taste and I punted it after three shaves. The other one was sent out of the house unused. Would not buy again when there are so many more comfortable and effective choices.

I use canned shave cream now mixed with a tiny bit of Pro-shave, sometimes, and with a mild Merkur/sharp blade never even get weepers. And I cut as easily as Sir Henry Cooper.

I use canned shave cream now mixed with a tiny bit of Pro-shave, sometimes, and with a mild Merkur/sharp blade never even get weepers. And I cut as easily as Sir Henry Cooper.

Love the Coop reference! Hell of a left hook but the guy bled if you looked at him wrong.

Back in the 70s I was in the Air Force with someone who said they personally knew him. This guy said if he sneezed hard his old cuts would re-open.

It’s funny not too many people know boxing so it’s always cool to hear a reference. I was a fight reporter for years so finding a fellow boxing fan is always nice.

Top Bottom