What's new

Loving the ease of the Feather Popular

A few months ago I decided I wanted a mild shaving and inexpensive travel razor so I did some research and settled on the Feather Popular TTO.

I have to say I was very happy with my purchase upon getting it and using it a few times. It was extremely mild ( as I had gleaned from many reports ), and it was certainly a nice blend of value and being well built. I used it a few times as my travel razor with a few different blades and was satisfied I had made a good choice. My only knock was at least with my technique I was getting good but not great shaves ( certainly socially acceptable just not up to my usual standard of wet shaving if you know what I mean ).

What prompted this post though was the fact that I had recently started using a new blade ( to me ) in my daily driver, and on a whim put it in the Popular yesterday just to give myself some new data points on using it in a different handle. What was partially surprising to me was that with this particular blade I got a far closer shave than I had previously. I think I'm leaning toward the idea it pairs well with sharper blades, but I may also just be getting better using this fairly new to me handle.

It's going in my kit to take to a Boy Scout training class this weekend. I'm going to try it out with a Personna Red IP for the first time, and see how they pair up.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Makes a great travel razor!

And super mild razors are not picky about blades ... Try any old blade in that R41 and see.

AA

I've just bought one and have been impressed with it when using a Feather blade.

The Popular is very light-weight having a plastic handle (37.9 grammes) which is long (10cm) and thin but grippy when wet, as it’s ribbed all the way round. At the top of the handle, there’s the metal ring to turn to open the “twist-to-open” head. This takes about five turns. The doors and central locking plate are metal, held in a black plastic frame, of the same material as the handle. The doors open fully and allow easy loading and unloading of blades. The doors close firmly and the blade is held securely with even exposure on both sides. There is a small amount of blade overhang at the ends.

It comes in a clear, plastic box, with space for a blade pack, and included in the price is a 5 pack of Feather DE blades.

Despite not being an all metal razor, The Popular does not feel cheap in the hand. It feels solid and well built. The lightness does however impact the shave, as I found I put a little more pressure on the head during shaving, than I would for some of my all metal razors.

The shave is mild but using the sharp Feather blade, very efficient, comfortable. There is no blade exposure feel, and you certainly don’t think you’ll be cut or nicked - I wasn’t during the three shaves I’ve had with it. All of those were excellent, BBS shaves with no irritation and it coped well with my problem areas, the lower neck and Adam’s apple. The only slight issue I found with it, was that due to the design, it easily clogs with soap, so it required rinsing more than other razors. That’s good in one way, as it’s so light and mild, I was tempted to use longer strokes than I should, which having to rinse it prevented.

Overall, I’ve been impressed with the quality of the build and the shaves I’ve had from this inexpensive razor. It would also probably make an excellent first razor for someone starting out with DE shaving and a great holiday razor due to its low cost and included case.

My Feather Popular is not at home.
First, a friend from my gym borrowed it to try for head shave since the cartridge razors was giving him a lot of irritation.

Now a co-worker of the opposite sex borrowed it after I told her that my wife and my daughter both uses safety razors for their legs, armpits and bikini line.

I'm getting it back tomorrow since she ordered her own safety razor.
She totally agree with my wife and daughter, never ever a Gillette Venus again!!! 😁

I ordered one on Monday, as I had joined the October GRUME. My skin is a bit sensitive, so my shave days are typically M,W,F. This is a left over schedule from my cartridge days. I have been adding a weekend day recently as my technique has improved, and I am enjoying the process. I'm planning to use the Feather on Tuesday and Thursday and hope it is mild enough to not irritate the skin. I currently shave with a Dart (still working through blades, Gillette Silver Blue seems best so far), but 3 days in a row is too much. I'm willing to admit it could still be limited skill.

Excellent safety razor! Not super aggressive, but very efficient. I mostly load my Feather Popular with a 1st to 4th use Super Max SS Bola blade for BBS shaves.

Top Bottom