What's new

Lothantique Le Collectionneur - Excellent!

I have read various comments on this board criticizing the Lothantique Le Collectionneur shaving soap, although the Lothantique Père et Fils appears to be widely regarded as excellent.

Contrary to the criticism that I've seen, though, I have used Lothantique Le Collectionneur for the last week and found it to be a truly outstanding product. IMHO, it's at least as good as its French siblings, Provence Sante and Pre de Provence (if not better). The lather is thick, slick, and rich. It whips up easily and quickly with little effort. Lothantique Le Collectionneur offers a close, comfortable shave and pleasant scent, and leaves skin mostiruzed and soft.

If you're looking to add a French shaving soap to your arsenal, or otherwise just looking for an excellent soap to shave with every day, I would highly recommend Lothantique Le Collectionneur. It's going to be one of my go-to soaps without a doubt. :thumbup:

Last edited:
I've been wanting to buy some but West Coast Shaving is always sold out. I have many items in my WCS cart but waiting to add this soap when it becomes available.

I really liked the scent of this soap, but for me the performance is pretty average. Mind you, not bad just average, which is the grand scheme of things is pretty good - given the bazillion excellent shaving soaps on the market there is some pretty still competition. Not to mention, $8 for a puck of triple-milled french shaving soap is pretty darn cheap.

I really liked the scent of this soap, but for me the performance is pretty average. Mind you, not bad just average, which is the grand scheme of things is pretty good - given the bazillion excellent shaving soaps on the market there is some pretty still competition. Not to mention, $8 for a puck of triple-milled french shaving soap is pretty darn cheap.

This is kind of what I'm getting at when I say that others seem not be too thrilled with this soap. Now, I haven't tried every soap under the sun, but I've tried my fair share -- (e.g., Penghalion's English Fern, Mama Bear, MWF, TOBS, Provence Sante, Pre de Provence, Proraso...) This one is right up there at the top of the pack.

That's, what I don't understand.... :confused1 Why is my experience so different?

This is kind of what I'm getting at when I say that others seem not be too thrilled with this soap. Now, I haven't tried every soap under the sun, but I've tried my fair share -- (e.g., Penghalion's English Fern, Mama Bear, MWF, TOBS, Provence Sante, Pre de Provence, Proraso...) This one is right up there at the top of the pack.

That's, what I don't understand.... :confused1 Why is my experience so different?

Water? Brush? Razor?

Who knows. I'm glad you like this soap. I loved the scent, let me say it again, I loved the scent. Hated the performance. I didn't find this to be a slick or cushiony soap. I ended up using it as a bath soap and it wasn't all the great in the bath.

It is one of my favorites as well. I wish WCS would get the refill pucks back in, they are the only place I can find anywhere that even carry refills.

It is one of my favorites as well. I wish WCS would get the refill pucks back in, they are the only place I can find anywhere that even carry refills.

The best soap I have used. Tabac is close but the moisturising properties of this soap is the best I've experienced: Tabac, Trumpers Lime & Rose, Harris Almond & Marlborough, MWF, Proraso, various QEDs, various Mama Bears and various SCS among others.

Surprised there hasn't been more talk on the Board about it. Load plenty on your brush and be careful not to add too much water or you can easily go past its optimum. That's my advice anyway.

Paul

Sitting right above Tade, this is the second worst shave soap that i've used.

I think i've still got it so i'll give it another shot (if it lathers) and report back.

Load plenty on your brush and be careful not to add too much water or you can easily go past its optimum.

I think that's right.

I've used with both my Rooney Stubby 2 and my Simpson's Duke Best, with excellent results.

I encourage anyone who has dismissed it to go back and give it another shot (or two or three)....

I used this soap again this morning for the first time in about a year.

I do need to eat a little crow because it did make lather. however, i didn't like the shave too much. It just didn't provide cushiony slick lather. the consistancy was fairly bubbly regardless of the amount of water or how much i loaded my brush. Throughout the shave i continued to adjust the water amount and reloading on the puck and it dried it still dried on my face very quickly.

I would need to use the soap a few more times to come to a conclusion about how moisturizing it is.

Top Bottom