What's new

Lost in the lofts!

Hey gents, I have been given the go ahead to purchase a new brush with a cap of 200USD. For me this is a terribly hard area for me. I have been looking at Simpsons, Rooneys, Whipped Dogs. I would like a honest opinion what someone would buy for their first Quality badger brush. I am a primarily a bowl latherer, but switch to face lathering every now and again. For the money, whats the best bang for the buck. I know this is a YMMV kind of thing, but tips would be good. I have read so many reviews and looked at so many online that I can't choose one.....:cursing:

I would consider one of those brushes from the B/S/T, stick with a loft between 48-52mm with a handle no smaller than ~45mm, a good range used by those that bowl & face lather. I would forgo any Pure or Black Badgers unless you like noticeable to annoying Scritch (scratchy sensation), Best Grade has some scritch with softer tips and is scrubby (exfoliating). Finest and Silver-Tips are much softer and can provide scrub with minimal to no scritch depending on the Brand.

The brushes from the B/S/T are usually well photographed, gently used, discounted, and mostly well cared for by its owner. You may be able to purchase two for ~$150, with a bit of searching, there are always good deals to be found. Lastly, you'll probably run across many re-knotted brushes using TGN Knots, they're nothing to shy away from, the Finest and Silver-Tip are very fine knots and I can personally recommend the TGN Best for good Scrub and light to moderate scritch.

Last edited:
Wet Shaving Products Stubby 2-band when they become available or Rooney Heritage Stubby XLs. Both fantastic brushes, but the WSP is much, much cheaper for the knot you get. Good luck.

Rooney Heritage Stubby size 2 - excellent density; great combo of backbone and flow-thru; soft tips.
Custom Shavemac D01 3-band hair- all purpose I would get 24mm knot with 46-48mm loft.

Both

Thanks guys for the suggestions! It kind of narrowed it down a little bit. I'm just too neurotic and overthink way too much. I'm always worried that I'll buy something and then out of the blue, the one lemon that gets through the QC will show up on my doorstep LOL

Thanks guys for the suggestions! It kind of narrowed it down a little bit. I'm just too neurotic and overthink way too much. I'm always worried that I'll buy something and then out of the blue, the one lemon that gets through the QC will show up on my doorstep LOL

You're not alone with this, trust me!:lol:

Normally any brush with a manufacturing defect would be rectified by the Vendor so that shouldn't be a problem.

I would consider one of those brushes from the B/S/T, stick with a loft between 48-52mm with a handle no smaller than ~45mm, a good range used by those that bowl & face lather. I would forgo any Pure or Black Badgers unless you like noticeable to annoying Scritch (scratchy sensation), Best Grade has some scritch with softer tips and is scrubby (exfoliating). Finest and Silver-Tips are much softer and can provide scrub with minimal to no scritch depending on the Brand.

The brushes from the B/S/T are usually well photographed, gently used, discounted, and mostly well cared for by its owner. You may be able to purchase two for ~$150, with a bit of searching, there are always good deals to be found. Lastly, you'll probably run across many re-knotted brushes using TGN Knots, they're nothing to shy away from, the Finest and Silver-Tip are very fine knots and I can personally recommend the TGN Best for good Scrub and light to moderate scritch.

Good advice..well said

Ok so I'm narrowing it down, but I'm so lost in the best, super, silvertip...2 band, 3 band... I am thinking between a Simpson chubby 2 best badger or the Kent BLK8 because of all the positive things I've read about both.... Any thoughts gents?
They are both at the higher end of my limit, but I'd like to believe they could last a super long time.

The Chubby may not be the best choice for bowl lathering because of the short handle. Kent has some fans among the bowl latherers. I suggest you look at Shavemac brushes.

The Chubby may not be the best choice for bowl lathering because of the short handle. Kent has some fans among the bowl latherers. I suggest you look at Shavemac brushes.

Ok yeah, I'll check out the shavemacs too. Thanks for the input on the chubby, that helps alot actually!!!

Well gents I have settled on a brush.... I REALLY appreciate all the input. I have settled on the Kent H8 Best Badger "Horn". I wish I could buy em' all, but obviously if I could I wouldn't ask any of you fine gents for input. I ordered from WCS because the service I recieved when I ordered just the BnB boar was phenomenal! They really are one of the best dealers to go through!!!

Well gents I have settled on a brush.... I REALLY appreciate all the input. I have settled on the Kent H8 Best Badger "Horn". I wish I could buy em' all, but obviously if I could I wouldn't ask any of you fine gents for input. I ordered from WCS because the service I recieved when I ordered just the BnB boar was phenomenal! They really are one of the best dealers to go through!!!

Congrats. Hope you enjoy it.

Top Bottom