What's new

Losing Your Scents with Aging

I'm in my late 60s and just started DE shaving about 4 months ago. I've been afflicted with SSAD & SCAD, buying lots of samples and tubs from BST. Unfortunately, I've begun to realize that my sense of smell has declined over the years. This affects not only my enjoyment of same (from what I read) wonderful shaving product scents, but also affects my wine tasting enjoyment. I'm in a wine group where we do blind tastings, and I rarely rank wines on smell anymore. I go to a winery tasting room, swirl a sample, take a big sniff, and .... not much there.

I do appreciate the scents of some of my soaps and creams. I really liked MW Cedar & Sage and SV Felce when I first got them, and after a while they seemed maybe too much of a good thing. But those are exceptions. Some days the differences between soap scents seem very small to me, and I would have a hard time not only describing them in words, but sometimes even noticing that they are very different (e.g. CRSW American Barbershop & a sample of BM Seville). This problem hit me when I had the pleasure of going to Jermyn St. in London recently. I walked into TOBS and sniffed their tester soaps and creams... boy, I was having trouble deciding which ones I really liked, as they all seemed very subdued. I walked into Loris and a delightful young woman offered me to sniff some soap samples in their wooden jars. I tried to seemed impressed by each of the three scents, but it was like she wave three samples of kitchen granite in front of my nose to smell. I stopped showing any interest in soaps in the shops after this because it was hard to fake a reaction intelligently.

Olfaction is a sense that declines with aging, and other conditions, including environmental ones. Unfortunately, having gotten into DE shaving recently, I'll never know the pleasure that some of the subtle but complex scents that I read about provide. The positive side is that I probably won't find a scent I detest (although I haven't tried Tabac yet). I don't have to be particular about the scents I trade for on the BST. My trade of a Simpsons cream for any CRSW soap yeilded American Barbershop. I absolutely love the top note of citrus in it (at least I think it's there).:wink2:

I'm sorry to read this. One thing comes to mind - have you talked with your doctor about this? Sometimes a loss of smell can be due to potentially reversible conditions (zinc deficiency, allergies/nasal congestion, etc).

I've always had a marginal sense of smell/taste due to a hockey injury at the age of 16 that required facial reconstruction surgery. There was some residual nerve damage and I've never had an acute sense of smell or taste. Scent is always a low criteria when it comes to shaving products and I'm all about performance. Life creates trade-offs now and then.

I couldn't smell at all for over a decade, I finally went to an ENT doctor and after surgery for polyps, my sense of smell returned. it was wonderful!

I'm 64 and based on my own experience, could it be that you have a zinc deficiency? There are zinc and vitamin C lozenges to buy almost everywhere here in United Kingdom and it might be the same in U.S. The other way as an alternative to a supplement is to eat fish and citrus fruit.

I got a little taste of what you are experiencing. I have a pretty nasty cold at the moment and it took a lot of the enjoyment out of my Sunday morning shave. I went to the cabinet to pick a soap, opened one up and took a big whiff...nothing. Had a great shave, but the experience was lacking because I was unable to enjoy the scents I love so much. Sorry to hear you going through this. Hopefully a doctor can tell you something.

Bummer. I love the smell of good soaps and creams. Good thing is, I won't get old. I'm a young 50, and refuse to act like it. Work out, take your vitamins, and supplements. Fight it, every step of the way. Comb overs, and swirly buns for hair loss, don't count, for fighting age. Modern medicine is great, use it.
Oh, a younger wife, and an 8 yr old helps too.

Seriously, loss of smell can be a sign of a serious disorder and/or nutritional deficiency, as noted above. You should consult a doctor.

Thanks for the thoughts, gentlemen. I'll discuss this with my doctor as I have a physical coming up. My wife and I both had colds and allergy problems at the end of and when we got home from our trip and are currently taking Claratin to deal with the alergens. And my nose was running a lot in Poland and England, probably due to the damp cold contrast with California when we left.

Although I have not suffered from a overall loss of olfactory sensitivity (busted sniffer), at 58 I have had it happen with individual scents. I ordered Gondolier from Phoenix and when I opened it and took a whiff I thought they had somehow put the unscented version in the Gondolier tin. I got nothing, zip, zilch, zero. When I asked the rest of the family and our neighbors to smell and give me their impressions everybody could pick up fragrance. That is everybody but me.

I am not sure that it is age related. Has anybody else experienced decreased sensitivity to certain fragrances ? Or certain scent combinations?

Although I have not suffered from a overall loss of olfactory sensitivity (busted sniffer), at 58 I have had it happen with individual scents. I ordered Gondolier from Phoenix and when I opened it and took a whiff I thought they had somehow put the unscented version in the Gondolier tin. I got nothing, zip, zilch, zero. When I asked the rest of the family and our neighbors to smell and give me their impressions everybody could pick up fragrance. That is everybody but me.

I am not sure that it is age related. Has anybody else experienced decreased sensitivity to certain fragrances ? Or certain scent combinations?
The LOTH is an avid gardener, so we have a lot of flowers around our property. There are a couple that I smell quite differently than she does. And there's one, a freesia (sp?) that she swears is the most fragrant thing growing...and I smell nothing...never have, and surely never will...baffling.

Top Bottom