What's new

Looking to Buy a MacBook Pro

I have never owned a Mac but I am seriously looking at buying a MacBook Pro 13" with retina display. Mac Mall has a pretty good deal on the computer. Any thoughts on the 13" version and/or any accessories I will need for a Mac?

I have the 13" pro, it's a great computer. You don't really need any accessories. After about a year of being on the fence about buying one I broke down and bought it. I really cant see myself going back to a PC.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of Macs. I own a 13" MacBook Pro from summer of 2009 that is still running strong.

If I were buying, I would probably get the non retina model of the 13" primarily for ease of replacing parts. In the thinner retina models, I believe most hardware is soldered in and not interchangeable. If you're not much of a techie, it's not an inherent problem. It just means you can swap out (or upgrade) simple stuff like RAM on your own.

Either way, I'd recommend AppleCare as your #1 accessory. 3 years of assurance that your machine will work. Barring dropping the machine or spilling something on it, you're covered.

Also, an external hard drive for backing up your data. Always always always have a backup.

I have the 13" retina pro and I love it. I've been a Mac person for a long time and could never go back to windows - but ,as with everything, YMMV.

Shavious brings up a good point. With the retina, you can't change the ram or hard drive. What you buy is what you get. My cousin also has the mid-2009 MBP. I just replaced her cd drive with a SSD and upgraded her ram to 8 GB. It took me about 20 minutes and now her machine is almost as fast as mine.

No doubt the retina display is amazing. But there is also a lot to be said for self-upgradability.

Also, +1,000 on the AppleCare. Best warranty program I have ever had experience with.

Finally, check the apple refurb store online as well. Not sure what Macmall's deals are right now, but the refurb store is usually at least 15% off the full price, it comes with the same 1 year warranty and is eligible for AppleCare. I buy most of my products from Apple's refurb store.

I went from only experienced in PC for 12 years, to buying a 15" MacBook Pro. I wish I had gone Mac YEARS ago. Buying the Mac changed my creative and regular computing LIFE!

I will NEVER go back to a PC when my Desktop PC finally bites the dust!

Buy it!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I own a Mac Mini. It was my first Mac and the most satisfying tech purchase i've ever made.

If I were getting a mac laptop i'd find a decent bag for it and an external hard drive for back ups.

To me it was worth the cost. Upgradability is a personal preference. I usually buy the next to fastest processor and a little more ram and then don't worry about it. By the time it can't handle it it's time for a new one anyway. My 2008 is still working.

I got a macbook air on sale about 6 months ago, and its the best computer I've ever owned. If you have a chance to get a computer with an SSD hard drive or to add one into your current computer, I highly recommend it. It makes a ton more difference in speed than the processor.

I have a 2009 Macbook Pro 15". I love it, but would get the Air if I could do it all over again. The Air is much more portable and more than powerful enough for daily computing.

I'm typing this on a mid-2009 MBP, it's been flawless since day one. It's my second computer since 2004, both Macs. I've spent around $277 a year on my laptops. When I replace this one it'll most likely be with an Air, they've come a long way and I can see no downside with them.

Shavious brings up a good point. With the retina, you can't change the ram or hard drive. What you buy is what you get. My cousin also has the mid-2009 MBP. I just replaced her cd drive with a SSD and upgraded her ram to 8 GB. It took me about 20 minutes and now her machine is almost as fast as mine.

No doubt the retina display is amazing. But there is also a lot to be said for self-upgradability.

Also, +1,000 on the AppleCare. Best warranty program I have ever had experience with.

My 2009 also has an SSD, but it's in the regular hard drive slot and the old HD is in the opti-bay. Supposedly it provides slightly better performance that way.

Also, I forgot to mention thus earlier, but be careful with MacMall. I used to work as a tech at an Apple Service Provider retail store and we had a guy bring in his iMac from MacMall with hard drive issues. Apparently, MacMall had upgraded his hard drive themselves before he bought it and because of this Apple couldn't cover it under warranty. Fortunately the hard drive company DID cover a replacement drive, but we still had to charge for labor because Apple wouldn't pay it like they normally do with warranty repairs.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Also, I forgot to mention thus earlier, but be careful with MacMall. I used to work as a tech at an Apple Service Provider retail store and we had a guy bring in his iMac from MacMall with hard drive issues. Apparently, MacMall had upgraded his hard drive themselves before he bought it and because of this Apple couldn't cover it under warranty. Fortunately the hard drive company DID cover a replacement drive, but we still had to charge for labor because Apple wouldn't pay it like they normally do with warranty repairs.
To that note I wouldn't buy an Apple product anywhere but an Apple store or a reputable retailer that sells Apple such as Best Buy.

That's just me though.

I've never bought Applecare for any of my many Apple devices, and never needed it. I'm probably dooming myself and all of my machines to a horrible fiery end by saying this, but I've always felt that extended warranty plans are a scam. With the money I've saved by not buying any Applecare warrantees I could easily buy a whole new computer or two.

I purchased Applecare in 2007 with my Macbook Pro and it more than paid for itself. During the time I owned of that machine they replaced the logic board, the power board, AC adapter, and my battery twice all under warranty. If I didn't have Applecare it would have cost me over $900. I gave that machine to my nephew in 2011 and it's still going strong. My current machine is a 2011 15" MBP. I've had no issues with it and it is running great.

I agree, best bet would be to purchase a Mac directly from Apple or an Apple Store, while there are some really good retailers, there are a lot of bad ones out there as well.
And + 1 Million, on the AppleCare, if you don't use it, that is great, but you only need to use the cover once and it more than pays for itself.

Hi everyone, thanks for the thoughtful responses. Here is the computer I am looking at:
MD213LL/A
2.9GHz Dual-core Intel i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
Apple 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM — 2x4GB
256GB Flash Storage
13.3-inch Glossy widescreen display
Intel HD Graphics 4000
Two USB 3 ports (up to 5 Gbps)
Glass Multi-Touch trackpad
Highly recyclable aluminum enclosure

MacMall seems to get favorable reviews from other sites, and they are an authorized reseller: given the MBP with Retina display has everything locked into place, I should have to worry about them swapping/upgrading components before it gets to me, right?

Its funny to see so many people with mid 2009 MBPs. Mine is also mid 2009 13" maxed out the ram dropped a SSD in it and its still running strong. I feel like you can get a lot of miles out of a Mac.

Hi everyone, thanks for the thoughtful responses. Here is the computer I am looking at:
MD213LL/A
2.9GHz Dual-core Intel i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
Apple 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM — 2x4GB
256GB Flash Storage
13.3-inch Glossy widescreen display
Intel HD Graphics 4000
Two USB 3 ports (up to 5 Gbps)
Glass Multi-Touch trackpad
Highly recyclable aluminum enclosure

MacMall seems to get favorable reviews from other sites, and they are an authorized reseller: given the MBP with Retina display has everything locked into place, I should have to worry about them swapping/upgrading components before it gets to me, right?

FYI, that is a Late 2012 model 13" Retina Display MacBook Pro. There is a newer version (Early 2013) as of February 2013. That's probably why the steep discount. Its common practice when a new model comes out to clear out old stock by big price reductions - sometimes by as much as $200 in the store I worked in. If it still carries its FULL 1 year warranty and hasn't been modified by MacMall in any way [which, as you've guessed, they can't because everything is locked in on the Retina models], it's still an absolutely great machine that will serve you well for years.

If I were buying, I'd give them a call and confirm that its just Old Stock and that the 1-year warranty starts on the day you buy it [Apple tracks serial numbers and activates legitimately purchased machine warranties on the date of sale] and that it is eligible for AppleCare.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Applecare is simply a "piece of mind" accessory. For 3 years you don't have to worry about a thing. And especially if it replaces your battery twice. Batteries can run $100+

Imagine you are in the middle of a project for work or school and the computer goes on the fritz. No lost time trying to find a reputable repair man, and no money out of your pocket for parts, labor, or if need be a new computer. I'd get it on a macbook for sure.

I'll admit I did not purchase it with my Mini because my mini just sits on the desk. On a portable device i'd get it though.

I'm pretty sure new macs will be released later this year, so i'd hold off if you can.

If you like Mac computers do it up, they aren't my cup of tea but my friends that have them love them, all I ask is to not become one of those cultish people that hate everything that isn't macintosh. My mom has the Air and loves it, I have a friend with the pro and loves it.

Top Bottom