What's new

Looking for new shave cream

I'm new(ish) to wet shaving again and so far have tried the Proraso White Shave line and have been pretty happy with their pre-shave, cream, and balm so far. I used to get small whiteheads on my chin and razor burn on my neck but Proraso White has eliminated those issues.

I don't get much of a scent though and I'd like to try something a little more expensive (thinking Truefitt & Hill) but I have slightly sensitive skin on my chin and neck. When it comes to top level creams, are they all pretty good with sensitive skin? I know T&H has an unscented line, but I'm looking to find something with a scent. Would their 1805 or Trafalgar work with someone that has a tendency to have slight irritation? I tried wet shaving in the past but gave it up as I was discouraged with spending a good chunk of change on creams and soaps and not being happy with much of it. I'd prefer to stick to creams rather than soap... at least for now. Thanks.

Taylor of Old Bond Street Jermyn Street for sensitive skin is a nice choice, but the scent is no stronger than Proraso white.

Speick cream is an excellent choice, but the scent is not its strong point; it is the speick plant healing properties in folklore that makes it special.

Captains Choice creams are more scent-forward than Proraso white, and they are excellent.

T&H is certainly a good, but expensive product. AoS unscented cream is a good choice if you have reactions to certain fragrance ingredients, and it's less expensive. If you can find Nivea cream in the stores near you that might also be a good choice to try and you won't be breaking the bank.

You may want to check out Cella Extra Extra Bio. It has a great scent and it is organic, so depending on the ingredients it may work out great for you.

When you say sensitive skin on your neck and chin, Is it sensitive to your shaving cream/soap or sensitive to your razor. If it’s really a matter of razor roughness perhaps you should be looking at a really slick soap with lots of glide and protection.

When you say sensitive skin on your neck and chin, Is it sensitive to your shaving cream/soap or sensitive to your razor. If it’s really a matter of razor roughness perhaps you should be looking at a really slick soap with lots of glide and protection.
I’m not 100% sure. I’m still trying to figure that out. I’ve used the same Merkur 34c razor with Astra blades. The Proraso sensitive skin has worked fine. I kept the razor and blade the same but switched to try Stirling Sharp Dressed Man shave soap and the acne returned to my chin within a day. I’ve heard soaps are really good for a better cushion and glide, but I’ve yet to see it for myself yet. Not sure if it’s my technique yet or maybe my skin prefers a cream.

I would risk a tube of T&H 1805. It’s a fantastic performer with a fragrance that will spoil you for many others. Never found it had any negative impact on my skin. But that’s just me, of course!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you think the fragrance ingredients might be bothering you, it could be wise to try a bunch of samples before investing in a full tub of something you might hate. Many shaving vendors sell cream samples so you can find scents you like. More natural scents might cause less irritation than cologne scents.

I would risk a tube of T&H 1805. It’s a fantastic performer with a fragrance that will spoil you for many others. Never found it had any negative impact on my skin. But that’s just me, of course!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think I’m going to treat myself to either the 1805 or maybe the Ultimate Comfort Unscented. Thanks for the recommendation!

I’m not 100% sure. I’m still trying to figure that out. I’ve used the same Merkur 34c razor with Astra blades. The Proraso sensitive skin has worked fine. I kept the razor and blade the same but switched to try Stirling Sharp Dressed Man shave soap and the acne returned to my chin within a day. I’ve heard soaps are really good for a better cushion and glide, but I’ve yet to see it for myself yet. Not sure if it’s my technique yet or maybe my skin prefers a cream.
It's just a stab in the dark but it could be lanolin that's causing your acne to flare up. Stirling "Sharp Dressed Man" contains lanolin, most Stirling soaps do, while Proraso "Sensitive" does not.

It's just a stab in the dark but it could be lanolin that's causing your acne to flare up. Stirling "Sharp Dressed Man" contains lanolin, most Stirling soaps do, while Proraso "Sensitive" does not.
That’s sort of what I’m thinking too. I do want to branch out to try other products so I think steering clear of Lanolin will be my first option to see how it goes. Thanks for your input!

The White Proraso irritates my skin but the Green works well. I just ordered some Cella Bio cream which is supposed to be good & it's reasonably price. But can't comment on the scent.

Just tried the Cella Bio cream. Worked very well & has a nice subtle clean scent. On Amazon it's returnable & if you hate it they'll issue a refund & might tell you not to send it back. That's what they did with the White which irritates my face.

Top Bottom