What's new

Looking for first vintage razor (need help)

I’m going to be in the market for my first antique razor and I’m not sure what to look for.

If I go on eBay there are a lot of different year Gillette’s with a lot of model names.

For reference - I use a Muhle R41 and a Merkur Slant as I need a little more aggressiveness to get a smooth shave.

I also don’t know what to inspect from photos or if fakes are an issue.

If there is a thread or other reference I would appreciate it as I just want to make sure I get a good one.

Not looking for anything super expensive or rare, just a nice old school razor.

Thanks in advance

Perhaps the following would be suitable as aggressive razor for a smooth shave. They work very well for me.
Gillette Old Type
Gillette Supspeed Red-tip
Gillette Aristocrat Jr.

I have used virtually every vintage model of Gillette. My opinion is that the Gillette Slim Adjustable is by far the best, least expensive DE razor on ebay. You should be able to get one for 15$ or below. You might have to search "vintage gillette", "gillette adjustable" or "gillette razor" as the one labeled by its proper name may be a collector selling it for a more expensive price.

Definitely go with an auction unless you see a "buy it now" for $15.00. Sunday night into Monday morning is a great time to look for one as the competition is at its lowest.

That being said, if you wanna pay a little more, the gillette fatboy and gillette aristocrat are the best. Again, the razors not properly labeled will be much less expensive. You'll have to do a "gillette razor" search and know what they look like. Fakes are not an issue as they are incredibly difficult to reproduce. They may not come anywhere near the aggression of the R41 unless an adjustable is set to 8 or 9.

Good luck and PM me if you have questions.

Perhaps the following would be suitable as aggressive razor for a smooth shave. They work very well for me.
Gillette Old Type
Gillette Supspeed Red-tip
Gillette Aristocrat Jr.
+1

Also try a Slim adjustable. Those seem to be the least expensive adjustable. I suggest taking your time & looking on the B & B BST section instead of the auction site. If you buy from the BST section on this forum, you'll be getting a razor that, generally, has been used & cared for by a member of B & B, so you will have a much better chance of getting a quality razor. And you can find good prices here on BST as opposed to the auction site too. It helps to be familiar with the various razors before buying on the auction site. Just my .02 worth.

Gem Micromatic Open Comb or the Gem/EverReady/Star 1912 for a aggressive Single Edge
Gillette Adjustable's- Fatboy, Slim or Super Adjustable (Black Beauty) each from mild to aggressive for Double Edge

I get 8-10 great shaves with a Gem SE blade and 3 great shaves with an Astra SP blade

I’m going to be in the market for my first antique razor and I’m not sure what to look for.

If I go on eBay there are a lot of different year Gillette’s with a lot of model names.

For reference - I use a Muhle R41 and a Merkur Slant as I need a little more aggressiveness to get a smooth shave.

Old Style
New SC
New LC
Adjustables

From what I have read from other posters, top is more aggressive, bottom less.

Slims are generally easy to find at a good price.

I also don’t know what to inspect from photos or if fakes are an issue.

Fakes aren't an issue. Due to parallax issues, it is very difficult to determine problems from photos. Check what return policies are!

If there is a thread or other reference I would appreciate it as I just want to make sure I get a good one.

Not looking for anything super expensive or rare, just a nice old school razor.

Thanks in advance

B

Barney14

A Tech is the way to go, get an early one, all brass, the choice is yours, 1950s ball end, English flat bottom or American / Canadian triangular slot.

Techs are easy to use and very good shavers, not a beginners razor at all, a great razor full stop.

Look at the Mr Razor site, to get an idea of what you like.

I would once you have your razor try as wide a variety of blades as you can.

One of the main issues with vintage
Gillette adjustable razors is a very bad
Uneven blade gap , when you look at
The razor loaded with a blade one end
Has almost no gap and the other end
Has a very large gap..
If you decide on a slim or fatboy , that
Is an issue to be concerned with , now
If you find one here on BST you are a
Lot more likely to get one that is in good
Mechanical condition without gap issues
On EBAY it could turn out to be a gamble.

A Tech is the way to go, get an early one, all brass, the choice is yours, 1950s ball end, English flat bottom or American / Canadian triangular slot.

Techs are easy to use and very good shavers, not a beginners razor at all, a great razor full stop.

Look at the Mr Razor site, to get an idea of what you like.

I would once you have your razor try as wide a variety of blades as you can.

Techs are sweet, but too mild for the OP, IMO.

Lots of Slim votes! Nice ones can be found reasonably, they are adjustable, and rather nimble. OP, give one a try. If it isn't your cup off tea, you can easily sell it.

Top Bottom