What's new

Looking for a great pen

OK, so I have a couple of Lamy's, a Duke and several Hero 616's and am getting the feel for different pens. The duke seems nice, but flows a lot of ink (probably a medium nib). Has good heft and looks well overall. The Lamy Safari's (fine nib) are my daily pens and I like them thoroughly. I have a couple, one with black ink and the other with red. I also just received a couple Hero's and they write even finer than the Lamy's but are very lightweight and don't have the heft I would like from a good pen.

Overall, the Lamy;s are great everyday pens, but I would like to find a great pen for dress up occasions. I would like to keep the price under $200 but could go to $235 if I really have to. What I am after is a pen that writes very well, isn't sensitive to altitude and has good weight and balance. Looks are important as well, I would like it to be very attractive & traditional yet still a Man's pen - not fu-fu. I was thinking maybe something from Mont Blanc or Waterman. Looking for advise on alternatives.

I need to find a nice refillable leather journal as well, might have to make that myself. We'll see on that. Thanks.

Oh yea, I realize that the Mont Blank and Waterman pens are out of the price range I am looking for which is kind of the point. Again any thoughts are appreciated!!

If you like the way the Lamy pens write, have you looked at their higher range line? They make some really really nice looking pens that are well in your price range.

Check out the Lamy 2000.
Sailor 1911 full size or the realo with piston filler.
Both very good pens and very classy. New or used for under $200 easily.
There are some beautiful custom Edisons for sale at FPN for under 200 each. Very high quality pens. C/C fillers, or eyedroppers.

There are lots of gorgeous leather covers for different types and sizes of notebooks/journals. I only have one - a rather cheap one - so I'm not much help there.

+1 on Sailor 1911 full size. Also suggest the Pilot Vanishing Point. And who says the Waterman are out of your price range. A Waterman Carene, Silver Meridians ST Fountain Pen can be purchased from Amazon for $150. Excellent pen, one of my favorites. Here is a photo.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Another vote for the Pelis. I have an M200 and an M400. The 400 has a gold nib but, to be honest, the cheaper M200 with the steel nib is almost as good.

Wonderful pens, never fail to write, hold a ton of ink and look good too.

Gareth

Louiegrandie, that pen is sheer beauty. I just bought a Parker 51 a yesterday and I already kind of want this pen. It's so beautiful.

+1 on Sailor 1911 full size. Also suggest the Pilot Vanishing Point. And who says the Waterman are out of your price range. A Waterman Carene, Silver Meridians ST Fountain Pen can be purchased from Amazon for $150. Excellent pen, one of my favorites. Here is a photo.

proxy.php

After I get one or two Flex pens Im going after a Carene. Ive seen them around for 150 as well

Another vote for the Pelikan. I have the M200, my first fp, and it is great. I have had no problems with it, writes smooth and starts easily, seems a bit wet with some inks. Inked currently with Noodler's Kiowa Pecan and so far its my favorite color and performs great with this pen..

Pelikan M200, M400 or M600... I have had an M400 now for about a week and I love it and it looks great!
proxy.php

+1 If you want a great pen, for the money you can't beat the Pelikan Souveran Series. You can buy a m600 for about $250.00

Of course you could wait and see what the hell Jim is up to.... but then again it may be a wait not worth it

Legion

Staff member

proxy.php

That's a nice looking pen....

Oh no.... FPAD... returning.... must.... fight.....

Top Bottom