What's new

Looking for a good stone to clean up my edge

Yup, just lap it flat with a diamond plate or a sheet of 220 on a flat surface under running water.

The 12000 super stone has a wide range and can finish to a near mirror. The stone does load up, you need to re-lap to remove the black swarf on the stone, that can damage the edge.

So, get your bevels flat, then re-lap the stone face and do your final finish X strokes on a clean stone.

Because those stones load up so easily, a $30 diamond plate makes it easier to maintain them. Some inexpensive magnification like the Carson Micro brite 60-100X $15 will also let you see what is happening at the edge.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
If I were you I’d send it out for professional honing one time. I’d recommend @Doc226

A pro will make sure that the bevel is properly developed all along the edge and you’ll have a point of reference as to the edge that you’re ‘shooting for’. IOW, all the heavy lifts if any are needed, will be done.

Then maintain the edge with the Gouken 12000.

Yes it is a factory edge.
All the factory new Böker razors I have baught came with a good bevel. They usually had a toothy edge. These can be difficult to hone on just a 12k. The edge will in some cases get too fragile before you are able to get a clean edge.
A solution might be to make something like a denim strop, load it with e.g. TI white paste. This will clean up the edge a little. Then you can use your 12k to flatten the bevel, and get a cleaner edge.
You will not be removing allot of material. So, if it doesn’t work out you can always send it out to be honed and maintain it with the 12k.
You can also get something like an 8k to make the work easier.
The 12k will also require frequent lapping. So, a diamond plate, or sandpaper on a flat surface, like a tile is needed. With the last option you risk embedded grit from the sandpaper. So, a diamond plate, like an atoma 400-600 is recommended.

All the factory new Böker razors I have baught came with a good bevel. They usually had a toothy edge. These can be difficult to hone on just a 12k. The edge will in some cases get too fragile before you are able to get a clean edge.
A solution might be to make something like a denim strop, load it with e.g. TI white paste. This will clean up the edge a little. Then you can use your 12k to flatten the bevel, and get a cleaner edge.
You will not be removing allot of material. So, if it doesn’t work out you can always send it out to be honed and maintain it with the 12k.
You can also get something like an 8k to make the work easier.
The 12k will also require frequent lapping. So, a diamond plate, or sandpaper on a flat surface, like a tile is needed. With the last option you risk embedded grit from the sandpaper. So, a diamond plate, like an atoma 400-600 is recommended.
Thanks, I bought a Chosera 3000, Norton 8000, and Naniwa 12000.

Reactions: JPO
Top Bottom