What's new

Local Retail chains selling DE razor blades?

I know some local retail chains sell poor quality DE razor blades. Do any sell good quality razor blades??

Yes, some do. Many of the blades you find in the chain stores are made by ASR and they make both carbon steel and stainless blades as well as both uncoated and coated blades. I imagine they would package and brand name whatever blade the chain store wanted to put their name on. It's likely just a matter of what the store chain is willing to pay for the blades.

We have a small regional chain the carries ASR blades with the Gem name on them. Again, these are not necessarily all the same blade. I prefer coated stainless blades but some folks like some of the coated carbon steel ones.

I've heard that some chains carry blades from foreign manufactures. Again, these could be either good or bad. There are some great imported blades and some "not so great". You just need to try them, and when you find a good one, stick with it.

Regards,
Tom

I'm located in warm South Florida. Royal Palm Beach to be exact. I will travel if I have to.

Why worry about it? Good blades are so much easier to find via the Internet and are much cheaper that way, too.

Tim

Walmart in my area sells Persona red package (made in USA), 10 DE blades for $1.97. They are hanging on a peg-board with all of the multi-blades. CVS Drugs has a red package on a peg-board that is their own brand and Williams mug soap. I've never bought them so I don't know what's inside. Brookshire's Food store sells Wilkinson DE blades and also a beginner's shaving mug, boar hair brush and soap in a box/kit (Vander Hagen brand). Whole Foods has Tom's of Maine Shave Cream tubes. All in the DFW, Tx area. If you have any of these stores in your area you should be able to find these products.

My Bed Bath and Beyond has German Wilkinson Sword blades. Your best bet, though, is a sampler for WestCoastShaving.com

The only retail blade I would consider if/when my 4-5 year stash of blades runs out, purchased online and delivered to my home with no gasoline out of my car's tank, is the ASR "Comfort-coated" blade sold under various chain store names.

Here in the Michigan-Ohio-Indiana region, the Meijer chain sells them under their name for $3.99 a 10-pack. At the Walgreens two miles down the road the same blade with their name on the package is $7.29 for a 10-pack. That's getting up in "Swede" price range.

I haven't tried one, but from reading here and elsewhere, they're tolerably good blades at a premium price.

On the back of the Meijer package card is a statement that "Comfort Coated" is a registered trademark of ASR.

I normaly buy from Em's and Lee's. I just wanted to see if there were any local DE blades. Thanks fro the info guys. The internet is the way to go.

I usually get the red pack Personna's from Wal-Mart for $1.97 per 10 pack. I find the ASR blades to work just fine for me. I do find it funny, though, that the CVS chain has the exact same ASR blades in a package marked with the CVS brand name for $5.99. If that's all I could find, I'd definitely shop online.

We have a small regional chain the carries ASR blades with the Gem name on them. Again, these are not necessarily all the same blade. I prefer coated stainless blades but some folks like some of the coated carbon steel ones.

Tom, is this Drug Mart?

Top Bottom