What's new

Lime juice instead of water?

Tried a sample of a lime shaving cream (Limes & Pomegranate) and loved it. Haven't ordered any, but I am going to try squeezing fresh lime juice (half teaspoon) to use with my shave cream instead of water.

Has anyone tried this? I love the way my hands smell after getting lime juice on them, so I thought an unscented cream would work with this idea.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Do you think there is a lot of sugar in the fresh squeezed lime juice? I literally would squeeze it into my bowl, instead of the water.

I thought about lime oil as well, and should maybe look in to that.

Yes, the EJ Limes & Pomegranate! I should have specified that. It is really nice.

Bullgoose had it on clearance for $15, and I missed out.

I have to recommend against the use of lime juice. The sugars would impair the slip and the acidity would degrade the quality of your blade and possibly irritate your skin. The lime oil is a better bet. If you choose to go ahead and try the lime juice, at least do a test patch on your arm before you commit to the shave.

I have to recommend against the use of lime juice. The sugars would impair the slip and the acidity would degrade the quality of your blade and possibly irritate your skin. The lime oil is a better bet. If you choose to go ahead and try the lime juice, at least do a test patch on your arm before you commit to the shave.

I think what he said is about right in track. I just think it would tighten up your face and make your blade drag. Probably smell awesome.

agree with person above. I would be very worried about the acidity.

I love lime as much as the next guy, but think about if you got a cut and then got lime juice in it... OUCH!

Yeouch!

Maybe save the lime juice for one of these......

$tray-of-mojitos.jpg

Lime juice is a bad idea. Just don't do it.

For one thing, it would sting like the dickens if you got it into a cut or scrape. For two, a fair percentage of the population will get a rash if an area of skin gets lime juice on it and then that area is exposed to UV light. It's called photosensitivity dermatitis, and lime juice is one of the main culprits.

I think the cream smells good enough on its own that lime juice isn't necessary. Even adding lime oil is an iffy proposition, because a high concentration of lime oil could be irritating to your skin.

Oh, and if you want a more potent lime smell, go with a pure lime cream or soap. I can highly recommend Trumper's lime and Mystic Waters Lime soap. I also like T&H West Indian Limes cream, but it's not a pure lime scent and some people don't like it.

Any of these is a lot more "limey" than the limes and pomegranate cream you are talking about.

GFT lime cream is fantastic; had a small amount left in a tub and took it along on a recent vacation to FL.
I forgot how well it performed and the scent is Fantastic...paired it with CC lime aftershave and C&E West Indian lime balm.
What a great trio!

Yeah, I agree. Lime scented shaving soaps/creams do not have lime juice in the formulations. Lime oil, from the zest of the fruit is where the scent lies. There is more flavor in the zest of citrus fruits than there is in the juice.

Top Bottom