What's new

Let's see those pending brush projects.

IMG_20170313_134851.jpg

Here are 6 I am currrently resoring. Left to right - Rubberset (no model number), Rubberset 6-50, Klenzo B 843, Fuller, Ever Ready 500 Lucite, Ever Ready 100T. I have knots on the way for the 2 Rubbersets and the Klenzo, still trying to decide on the other 3.

Great looking restores Marty. I have to get some pictures of stuff I'm working on. My last restore actually caught fire and melted part of the handle. I thought," Gee, that doesn't look like the normal dust coming out of the handle." Then I blew on it to get a better look. Blowing on it gave it the oxygen needed to ignite. Luckily it was raining and I doused it in a puddle. That was a first for me. I guess I was a little too heavy handed with the dremel. :001_wub:
Oh man that is unfortunate but I too have had my mishap. I once tried to transplant a knot from one handle to another and I had read that some people had success by hitting the handle with a hammer and breaking it off to remove the knot, well my knot much like the handle also split in half. I was a bit bummed out but you live and learn. Now I know not to ever try that again. Instead I will use the methods I've been using as they seem to working just fine. We would love to see pictures of your pending projects even if you don't have plans to do them immediately, I'd like to see what you're working with. Sorry about your handle bud.

View attachment 775419
Here are 6 I am currrently resoring. Left to right - Rubberset (no model number), Rubberset 6-50, Klenzo B 843, Fuller, Ever Ready 500 Lucite, Ever Ready 100T. I have knots on the way for the 2 Rubbersets and the Klenzo, still trying to decide on the other 3.
Awesome! Great job removing those knots! Can't wait to see the finished products. What method did you use to remove the knot from the lucite handle? And did you drill the hole larger? I have a Century lucite handle I have yet to work on because I don't want to damage it in the process.

Awesome! Great job removing those knots! Can't wait to see the finished products. What method did you use to remove the knot from the lucite handle? And did you drill the hole larger? I have a Century lucite handle I have yet to work on because I don't want to damage it in the process.

I drilled them out and then went after them with a dremel. The lucite was a serious mess because it originally had nylon bristles. They just melted from the friction of the dremel. I tried the steam method on it and it failed. Once i finally had all of it out I went through several grits of sandpaper and then stuffed a rag coated in polish inside of it and just kept spinning it until most of the scratches were gone. There are still some small scratches in it that I just cant get rid of but I think some colored epoxy will help to cover them up. If not thats ok, after all its 50 years old, not something that rolled off the line yesterday. Ill post the pics as I get them finished.

I drilled them out and then went after them with a dremel. The lucite was a serious mess because it originally had nylon bristles. They just melted from the friction of the dremel. I tried the steam method on it and it failed. Once i finally had all of it out I went through several grits of sandpaper and then stuffed a rag coated in polish inside of it and just kept spinning it until most of the scratches were gone. There are still some small scratches in it that I just cant get rid of but I think some colored epoxy will help to cover them up. If not thats ok, after all its 50 years old, not something that rolled off the line yesterday. Ill post the pics as I get them finished.
Awesome, thanks for the info.

I forgot to mention, I really didnt drill the hole larger, when I was done all the sanding and polishing the hole ended up a hair over 25mm.

So my Shavemac handle arrived Monday.... I had the APShaveCo 30mm Tuxedo knot for a month already

20170313_222116.jpg
20170313_222116.jpg 20170313_222153.jpg 20170313_222338.jpg

Now it's time to put this puppy together!

marty

In these pictures, you see the inspiration( 30 mm Canica Chubby in the center, on the, left a brush made for me by Bob Farvour when I wanted a Chubby w/ a longer handle) that led to my Shavemac Tuxedo. Maiden voyage tomorrow!20170315_005313.jpg 20170315_005320.jpg 20170315_005337.jpg 20170315_005412.jpg 20170315_005422.jpg

My pending projects:

IMG_4393.JPG

I just ordered a 24 mm tuxedo knot to drop in my old whipped dog ivory handle. That's next. After that? I don't know

I have a handle from a matching Brush/Razor set that my wife bought for me as a wedding gift that I'm wanting to replace the mediocre badger hair knot with a decent synthetic. I'm also wanting to get a vintage handle and put a quality Finest Badger or Silvertip knot into. I just got an Omega Boar brush, so I'll have the 3 major materials. I've been cruising eBay for vintage brushes and have my eye on a couple that are pretty decently priced.

I recently received that Made Right 1000 from a PIF and I am trying to decide if I should stay true to the brush and put a pure badger back in it or upgrade to a silvertip.

Top Bottom