What's new

Less Razor Weight Is Better For Me

New to the forum been hanging around though,

I started whet shaving with a safety razor here a while back and have read many reviews and opinions on different safety razors weights and styles and shaving methods. Most seem to like a little heft to there razors not so much for me after trying more weight with the Muhle Grande R89 razor, good shave but way to aggressive and heavy for me. I have very sensitive skin and just plain get a better closer shave with the lighter normal weight razors like the regular Muhle R89 and the Edwin Jagger DE89 these razors both give me good shaves with two to three traditional passes. I also tried a cheap Wishi and it was ok but way to mild but got the job done.

Now to my surprise I just tried the Merkur 33C classic razor it weighs 15 to 20 grams less than the standard Muhle R89 and the Edwin Jagger DE89. The grip and weight of the Merkur 33C classic razor was perfect for me and the shave was sweet and close it was easy to manage and did not irritate my skin at all. I was able to manage my sensitive neck areas with ease getting a very close comfortable shave.

So I have come to the conclusion for me the heavier razors are not better for me and my skin and beard type. I am very very pleased with the performance of the Merkur 33C classic razor plus the cost of the razor is reasonable. I do believe I will need to look no further at this point as far as safety razors go for me.

Also I find the Synergy soaps and after shave lotions to work great as well. Each person is different I know that but for sensitive skin I am thinking less weight in the razor may be the ticket for those with real sensitive skin on the face and neck area.

All these razors were used with a new Personna blue box blades my personal favorite.

Just my 2 cents on my outcome with the mentioned razors.

Take Care All, :biggrin1:
Bill G

Last edited:
Thanks for the post. One of the best things about this craft is that there is a sweet spot for everyone that gives them the best results.

I am with you on finding that razor that "works". I find the heavy ones are overkill and more irritating to my skin. Either that or I am not getting the angle just right? I seem more efficient with a lighter weight razor which seems easier to control. I am going to keep working on it as I have some major money invested in some stainless steel razors that I would like to get my money out of in use or sell.

Top Bottom