What's new

Lefty with bad hand writing.

Hello all,
I am a recent convert to wet shaving, and am now wondering what other fine things I have been missing out on.

I am a writer, in the sense that I enjoy writing stories and poems for myself. I think it could be nice and possibly beneficial to have a nice pen to make the process of putting word to page less of a chore and more a part of the entire art...BUT, I am left handed and like many others afflicted with this particular set of genetic traits I smear ink with almost any pen that does not dry immediately which leads me to my question. Is it even conceivable that I could use a fountain pen without the page looking like a giant smear of blue or black blood? If so, what would you suggest for an inexpensive beginner friendly fountain pen?

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Absolutely, a fine, firm nib and quick drying ink you should be fine. You do need to write a little slower, which using a fountain pen forces you to do anyway.

I would suggest a Pilot 78G, or Reform 1745 from ebay, and some Noodler's Bernanke ink. An inexpensive way to get started.

Absolutely, a fine, firm nib and quick drying ink you should be fine. You do need to write a little slower, which using a fountain pen forces you to do anyway.

I would suggest a Pilot 78G, or Reform 1745 from ebay, and some Noodler's Bernanke ink. An inexpensive way to get started.

Great advice, Mike. I approve as a lefty who enjoys writing with FP's. Using a FP, you can train your hand and hold your fingers in the correct manner to avoid smearing ink. You can also look online for different ways to hook your hand and/or tilt the paper if you still smear after some practice.

I got my first fountain pen in my back to school kit for the sixth grade. My left pinky finger was blue for weeks due to dragging it through the fresh ink. I taught myself to write with a backhand slant by tipping the paper the opposite of the the rest of the kids in my class. I'll attach a sample once I can get the image converted from PDF.

I guess its worth a try! It will probably help me learn to correct all the years of horrible technique inflicted by three ring binders and desks made for the rest of the world.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
proxy.php

... works for me!

As another "leftie" that writes with a fountain pen I second the method illustrated above by Doc4. I believe my elementary school teachers taught me this method when they realized I was left handed and not "convertible" into a right hander. Alas, with the advent of word processors and computers most if not all of my actual writing now consists of short notes and signatures.

I too am a lefty, though am as yet without a fountain pen.

When I take notes in class I end up with all blue fingers.

My question is whether left-handed nibs are an imperative for lefties? And, if not, in what respect are they advantageous for lefties?

I too will try the above holding method when I pick up a fountain pen. Thanks!

Not just a lefty, but new to the FP as well. I picked up a cheap Yafa Scenario. The ink cartridge that came with it was diminutive and wrote okay, but not great. I got a box of Watermans and haven't looked back. With a decent notebook, it writes great.

And as to the lefty nib, haven't bothered. If the Yafa writes as well as it does for me, I can only imagine what a better quality pen would do. I'm fine (for now) with what I have. I use my FP and a decent quality journal in the lab when I am working. Something about keeping an old-school science notebook just appeals to me.

No need for a special nib - virtually all modern nibs have a ball on the tip, so work fine for left-handers.

As stated above, fine to medium nib and a quicker drying ink will generally allow you to write as you would with any other pen.

With this type of set up, you can write at regular speed.

I am also left handed, and write with my hand under the writing line. That also means that my writing is slanted slightly backwards.

My handwriting is not great, but it is much better with a fountain pen than with a ballpoint pen.

There isn't any issue with the nibs being pushed across the page as opposed to being pulled like rightie would?

As a lefty underwriter, there isn't a problem. I tend to push the pen across the page a bit. Note that regular oblique nibs ("left-obliques") should be avoided initially until you're sure that it won't catch the paper or that you play with one so you can fine-tune your writing to it.

I second most everyone's recommendations regarding nibs and pens: Pilot 78G in fine or a Lamy Safari in EF work well. In fact my 78G sits here at the office. Pick a fast-drying ink and you're good to go.

Top Bottom