What's new

Leather rolls for razors

I recently bought some vegetable tanned leather (a full hide plus some other pieces) to make a desk cover and decided to finally make a roll for my razors with some of the remnants. While I'm not a leather-worker, I made a simple roll for 7 razors using soft outer veg-tanned 2mm leather and the inner piece is goatskin (which is nice, stretchy and wonderfully pebbled). I hand-sewed the pieces together while watching episodes of "Get Smart" and "Hogan's Heroes" on the computer.

LeatherRoll-3.jpg
LeatherRoll-4.jpg
LeatherRoll-2.jpg

The razors are (from left-to-right)

Wacker Jungmeister (Spanish tip, 7/8, Buffalo horn)
Revisor Meisterklasse (5/8, Spanish tip, black)
Dovo Meister Mertens 1885 Renaissance (6/8, standard tip, Gold Horn)
Dovo Inox (5/8, standard tip, olive wood)
Ralf Aust (6/8, spanish tip, rosewood)
Ralf Aust( 5/8, standard tip, zebra wood)

Attachments

• LeatherRoll-4.jpg
    LeatherRoll-4.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Big time stunner! Great work, looks awesome and functional. Love seeing the work, enginuity and care put in. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! There's just no material like leather, and vegetable-tanned leather has a feel to it that just can't be replicated. In my opinion using classic leather is like using a straight-edge razor - a step back in time. The Japanese have a great expression called "Mono no aware" which is difficult to translate (just like my user-id :)) but deals with the impermanence of things. While shaving with a Mach-3 might give a closer shave, it is a boring and unemotional process. And it shouldn't have to be...

Nice work! Must have taken many hours to do the stitching.

I enjoy working with leather as well. It started as part of my knife making hobby, making sheaths. YouTube is my teacher. I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I do. Once I start I can get so engrossed in the process that time flies by.

These days strops and other handy odds and ends.

1644700083866.png

Last edited:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Darn. I was gonna post the link to a thread about a bespoke 7 day set pouch I had made when I was in Bangladesh, from a cobra skin, with the spectacled hood marking front and center on the flap. The thread is still there but the pics are gone. I do still have the case, though. Pics tomorrow. Here is the thread. Maybe the pics can be accessed somehow.
It's not a roll-up, though.

I recently bought some vegetable tanned leather (a full hide plus some other pieces) to make a desk cover and decided to finally make a roll for my razors with some of the remnants. While I'm not a leather-worker, I made a simple roll for 7 razors using soft outer veg-tanned 2mm leather and the inner piece is goatskin (which is nice, stretchy and wonderfully pebbled). I hand-sewed the pieces together while watching episodes of "Get Smart" and "Hogan's Heroes" on the computer.

View attachment 1408725View attachment 1408726View attachment 1408724

The razors are (from left-to-right)

Wacker Jungmeister (Spanish tip, 7/8, Buffalo horn)
Revisor Meisterklasse (5/8, Spanish tip, black)
Dovo Meister Mertens 1885 Renaissance (6/8, standard tip, Gold Horn)
Dovo Inox (5/8, standard tip, olive wood)
Ralf Aust (6/8, spanish tip, rosewood)
Ralf Aust( 5/8, standard tip, zebra wood)
Very nice indeed!! Looks absolutely stunning.😊👍

Top Bottom