What's new

Lathering with beard question

I got my first wet shave kit at Art of Shaving a couple of weeks ago. When I was getting the walk-through from the salesman, he said to lather up my entire face, beard and all. He said that the brush would help to exfoliate the skin under the beard, he actually said to also use the pre-shave oil and the after shave balm in my beard as it would help to soften the beard. I've been doing it that way and I will say my beard seems slightly softer...placebo effect possibly...and it also seems as though the fragrance of the shave cream lasts longer and I don't mind that either. I am just curious what every one else does, do you guys lather your whole face or do you just lather where you shave? What do you think of using the pre-shave oil in the beard to soften it?

Sounds like he's trying to get you to use more stuff so you can buy more. If you're enjoying it, cool. It sounds like you're unsure. I'd say if you want to soften your beard you might want to consider hair conditioner or something like that, stuff that's made for that job (and is less expensive too).

I sometimes use my beard to help build lather and store it when face-lathering. Its texture acts like the ridges in a purpose-made lather bowl to help build lather, then its lather storage capacity is added to the brush's capacity. I guess if I ever face-load a soap that's too hard and doesn't want to face-load I'll use it as an abrasive to rub off bits of soap.

I was sporting a beard up until two weeks ago. I only lathered my cheeks and neck. Seems like a bit of a waste of some expensive product to lather your beard and then not shave it.

I use the same conditioner on my beard that I use on my hair. No way in the world I'd pay AoS's inflated prices and then waste the products.

I use the same conditioner on my beard that I use on my hair. No way in the world I'd pay AoS's inflated prices and then waste the products.

Fortunately I've found this place so the odds of buying any more AOS when I'm out are slimmer than they would have been if I hadn't found B&B. Way too many other products out there that I want to try.

I only lather the areas I'm going to shave but I like the idea of using the beard (I wear a Van Dyke) to store some soap for a later pass. I had never thought of that.

I essentially just lather my neck, then add lather from the brush onto my cheeks. Works pretty well for me, and I usually have plenty of lather left in the brush (though sometimes it's higher in the brush and hard to release it).

I have heard of people using a pre-shave oil for beard oil. I don't use either, so I can't comment on it. I do put aftershave gel in my beard as well as on my face/neck when I use it. Typically I just use the alum block on the area I shaved.

I use an all-in-one body wash, and just scrub it into my beard whenever I shower. I also use an exfoliating face wash before I shave (pre-shower shaver) and rub it into my beard as well.

Hope that helps! I will say I've considered getting a beard oil/wax to help keep the occassional stray whisker down, but haven't gone that far yet. I may just get a pair of scissors and cut the strays back or something, who knows.

I essentially just lather my neck, then add lather from the brush onto my cheeks. Works pretty well for me, and I usually have plenty of lather left in the brush (though sometimes it's higher in the brush and hard to release it).

I have heard of people using a pre-shave oil for beard oil. I don't use either, so I can't comment on it. I do put aftershave gel in my beard as well as on my face/neck when I use it. Typically I just use the alum block on the area I shaved.

I use an all-in-one body wash, and just scrub it into my beard whenever I shower. I also use an exfoliating face wash before I shave (pre-shower shaver) and rub it into my beard as well.

Hope that helps! I will say I've considered getting a beard oil/wax to help keep the occassional stray whisker down, but haven't gone that far yet. I may just get a pair of scissors and cut the strays back or something, who knows.

That was my thought also about the pre-shave oil that it's really not that different from a beard oil, which is something that I had been thinking about trying anyways. Honestly I'm not sure that the little bit of extra shave cream used to create enough lather for my whole face is going to cause me to go through the stuff that much faster, so I may or may not keep doing that. Although the idea of using it to help with face lathering is a good one and I might try that. I do think that I will keep using the oil on it though because I really do think that it has helped to soften my beard, and really I don't think it uses that much more product than if I didn't. Thanks for the input!

i lather up into my beard at the neck and cheeks so i can get the lines perfect when its matted down. I don't lather into my beard though, thats just a waste. Also my beard is too big and wiry for any shaving brush to get through to my face.

I just lather up on face - cheeks and neck. Some lather gets into the edges of the goatee and 'tache while face lathering. I wipe off the edges with a finger so I can see and get a good view of the edge for shaving. As with boostdemon above I think i'd have a fairly hard time getting the lather down and onto the skin in any meaningful way.

Sounds like you are using more product than you need, but if you enjoy the feel of lathering the whole face, go for it! Even being conservative, I generally make more lather than I need so I'd probably apply to the whole face.

-John

I actually like to lather up my facial hair (mustache and goatee) because it helps it keep its shape after. I always have just enough lather after my shave to do it, so might as well.

I find lathering my facial hair helps the scent of the lather hang around longer which is nice.

That's kind of what I have found also, and to add a big plus in the pro column my wife seems to really like that the scent lasts. Especially the last couple of days, I have been using TOBS sandalwood since I got it last week and she likes that one more that the AoS sandalwood that I have been using.

I find lathering my facial hair helps the scent of the lather hang around longer which is nice.

+1 on this. I keep a beard and I've always lathered up my whole beard. I face lather so not only does the brush help alleviate beard-ruff but I love the fact that the scent of the soap that I've used in the morning hangs around for most of the day.

With that said, I don't know that I would lather my whole face/beard if I were spending the money on AoS cream. Honestly, I'd probably never consider buying AoS cream when there are so many other IMO (better) soaps at way more reasonable prices.

When I was getting the walk-through from the salesman, he said to lather up my entire face, beard and all. He said that the brush would help to exfoliate the skin under the beard

I agree with the guy. But i have never tried any type of beard oil.

One of the main reasons that i lather my beard as well.

I always lather up my beard... why not? it makes a nice lather reserve/holding area for a second pass... I have a short beard, though.

Preshave oils are probably unnecessary if you shower and shave because the beard is well hydrated after three or four minutes. If the oil is being used as a beard softening agent, one should be able to apply it and then wash it off before applying shaving cream. I sometimes use a preshave oil if I skip the shower.

I DON'T:

-Lather my beard
I don't plan to shave it - then it's a waste.

-Wash anything on my face with hair conditioner
Hair on your face is NOT the same as hair on your head.
Most hair products will dry out your skin and the hair on your face.

I DO:

- Apply beard oil to my beard and stache
Conditioning and softening both my skin and hair

Top Bottom