What's new

Lathering hand soap

I’ve been asked several times how I lather with hand soap, so here it is.
I lather in a small yogurt container. When hand or bath soaps gets too small to use, I toss them in my bowl. They stay in the bowl full-time until used up and are supplemented by new scraps, making a mix of different soaps.
To lather, I add water to the bowl and soak the brush as the sink fills. I shake out the water, 3 shakes, dump the water out of the bowl and work my lather. I swirl the brush in the bowl about 20-30 seconds then apply it to my wet face. Swirl, slap, paint the lather, maybe 15 seconds. Shave. Repeat. Shave. Rinse out brush. Put up bowl with soap and lather in it to dry for next time.
Fantastic free lather for the last 50 years. Simple and it works.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
This is a forum for 'traditional shaving' and I suggest there is little which is more traditional than what @Quaznoid describes. I bet many of our Father's shaved in such a way, I am pretty sure mine would have. At its heart shaving is a very simple process that many, myself included, often overcomplicate. There is nothing wrong with that of course, and nothing wrong with spending as much money as you want and can afford on shaving products; but likewise there is a lot to be admired in simplicity of method and of supplies. Despite the minimal cost I don't think for a moment that there is any lack of comfort or even luxury here, in fact I suggest the opposite, there is the pleasure of finding something which provides a lifetime of easy satisfaction; you can't ask for much more than that.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
This is a forum for 'traditional shaving' and I suggest there is little which is more traditional than what @Quaznoid describes. I bet many of our Father's shaved in such a way, I am pretty sure mine would have. At its heart shaving is a very simple process that many, myself included, often overcomplicate. There is nothing wrong with that of course, and nothing wrong with spending as much money as you want and can afford on shaving products; but likewise there is a lot to be admired in simplicity of method and of supplies. Despite the minimal cost I don't think for a moment that there is any lack of comfort or even luxury here, in fact I suggest the opposite, there is the pleasure of finding something which provides a lifetime of easy satisfaction; you can't ask for much more than that.
Nuff said. Great post! :)

Well said! Many of us have, like @Quaznoid , come up with creative and low cost ways to deliver our preferred shaving experience. Also he is right that bar soap can work well for shaving, suspect lots of us, including myself, have occasionally used it when traveling if we forgot to pack our normal razor. Have further confirmed with some experimentation using bar soap only blends.

My one concern, with used bath soap for shaving, is that soap does harbor bacteria. While research as shown this not a significant risk for normal washing none of the research I've seen covers any possible increased risk from use while shaving where one is likely to occasionally break the skin with a weeper or two. Allowing the soap to fully dry out between uses likely does help mitigate this risk.

If one wants to use new bar soap and is willing to blend it's possible to create a custom product with good slickness and more stable lather. Proved this with my experiments with Ivory (slickness) and Dove Men+Care (excellent lather). Would recommend a blend of 2/3 tallow bath soap (e.g. Ivory, Dial, Irish Spring, etc.) and 1/3 Dove men + Care by weight. Grate and mix together and press into your shaving mug or bowl tightly. While not free this would be less than a U.S. dollar for a 3-4 oz. puck of soap that would generate consistent quality lather.

While my bath soap only blend was good it was not as good as my custom Van Der Williams blend with Arko, Prororaso, Ivory and Dove Men+Care that costs a bit more at just under $2.00 U.S. for a 3-4 oz. puck. Still contains roughly 25% bath soap Including the Ivory for added slickness and the Dove as a superlathering agent. If you don't have Williams Arko can fully substituted for it.

Bottom line is that DE shaving does not need to be an expensive hobby with the wide range of options available for everything from soaps to razors.

Two points: Bacteria taking up residence on my antibacterial soap is less likely than in your shaving soap, and that’s highly unlikely. If there was an infection risk from bath soap you’d think it would have shown up in the 50 years I’ve been shaving with it. Needless concern. Such a risk would manifest itself in the eyes or ears or other openings of the human body but it doesn’t because it’s a nonexistent risk.
I don’t intentionally make any particular blend of soaps. I throw scraps in as they appear and the blend is what it is. I’ve found that it doesn’t really matter.
Keep it simple, sweety.

Two points: Bacteria taking up residence on my antibacterial soap is less likely than in your shaving soap, and that’s highly unlikely. If there was an infection risk from bath soap you’d think it would have shown up in the 50 years I’ve been shaving with it. Needless concern. Such a risk would manifest itself in the eyes or ears or other openings of the human body but it doesn’t because it’s a nonexistent risk.
I don’t intentionally make any particular blend of soaps. I throw scraps in as they appear and the blend is what it is. I’ve found that it doesn’t really matter.
Keep it simple, sweety.

There is bacteria in the soaps we use. The antibacterial ingredients reduce the number to a level more easily handled by our immune systems, they don't eliminate everything. The available research out there (examples in first two links below) indicates little risk from using bar soap, even when used by others, in transmitting illness when used for washing activities. Note that the second link, to a 1988 study by the soap industry, noted that " It is not surprising that microorganisms, which are ubiquitous in the environment, have been isolated from in-use soap bars". Additionally only " Panelists whose hands were free of cuts, scrapes, open wounds and skin disorders " were allowed to participate in the 1988 tests indicating a perception of heightened risk when one's skin is broken. Note that thoroughly drying soap between uses helps to mitigate any risk.

My point is that there is increased risk with broken skin (weeper). Unfortunately I haven't found specific research measuring infection risks from the use of soap (shaving or otherwise) for shaving when ones skin is cut. Have found various state and federal (CDC) recommendations to be cautious when sharing bath soap (example in second link below). Other research indicated that serious staph infections (MRSA for example) were shown to be frequently transmitted between household members. Once someone in a family got it medical professionals would frequently soon see other family members with the same thing. Most of us have seen the press regarding the rare but hyper-aggressive drug resistant bacteria that is out there now.

The bottom line is, while this is a low risk, it is not a nonexistent risk.

Regarding your second point I understand and respect your simplified no-cost approach that works for you. My post was focused sharing some additional low-cost approaches that utilize new unused product. I suspect that your approach was actually quite common in the first half of the 20th century before consumption patterns were fully impacted by the post WW2 waves of consumer product marketing. Glad it has worked so well for you over the years.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...e-s-bacteria-in-your-soap-and-everywhere-else

There is bacteria in the soaps we use. The antibacterial ingredients reduce the number to a level more easily handled by our immune systems, they don't eliminate everything. The available research out there (examples in first two links below) indicates little risk from using bar soap, even when used by others, in transmitting illness when used for washing activities. Note that the second link, to a 1988 study by the soap industry, noted that " It is not surprising that microorganisms, which are ubiquitous in the environment, have been isolated from in-use soap bars". Additionally only " Panelists whose hands were free of cuts, scrapes, open wounds and skin disorders " were allowed to participate in the 1988 tests indicating a perception of heightened risk when one's skin is broken. Note that thoroughly drying soap between uses helps to mitigate any risk.

My point is that there is increased risk with broken skin (weeper). Unfortunately I haven't found specific research measuring infection risks from the use of soap (shaving or otherwise) for shaving when ones skin is cut. Have found various state and federal (CDC) recommendations to be cautious when sharing bath soap (example in second link below). Other research indicated that serious staph infections (MRSA for example) were shown to be frequently transmitted between household members. Once someone in a family got it medical professionals would frequently soon see other family members with the same thing. Most of us have seen the press regarding the rare but hyper-aggressive drug resistant bacteria that is out there now.

Regarding your second point I understand and respect your simplified no-cost approach that works for you. My post was focused sharing some additional low-cost approaches that utilize new unused product. I suspect that your approach was actually quite common in the first half of the 20th century before consumption patterns were fully impacted by the post WW2 waves of consumer product marketing. Glad it has worked so well for you over the years.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...e-s-bacteria-in-your-soap-and-everywhere-else

Tallow based soap, which all soaps contained in yester year, have natural anti-bacterial properties in addition to anti-oxidants and Vitamins A,D,E K and B1 as well as linoleic acid, to combat inflammation. -Why did we 're-invent the wheel?'

Last edited:
My grandfather always used the Dial soap that sat on the bathroom sink. He loaded his boar brush and built a lather in a mug. When I've used bath soap I've just grabbed the bar from the shower and rubbed it directly on my face---I'm the only one using that bar though and it gets to dry between uses. I've found Pears to be the best in my opinion.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I appreciate the concerns of @Lane101 and rarely load off the puck because of them, but I’ve also loaded a brush with Dial this Summer because curiosity does that.

Other than smelling like Dial, it was an excellent shave. And if I grow to associate Dial with excellent shaves, I’ll probably end up liking the smell of Dial.

I think that the amount of bacteria on soap is little compared to bacteria amount on skin. If you cut yourself skin bacteria are what may get into cut. But probably the soap will wash them out.

My grandfather always used the Dial soap that sat on the bathroom sink. He loaded his boar brush and built a lather in a mug. When I've used bath soap I've just grabbed the bar from the shower and rubbed it directly on my face---I'm the only one using that bar though and it gets to dry between uses. I've found Pears to be the best in my opinion.
Good approach. From the research reviewed allowing the soap to dry and not using a shared bar significantly mitigates any risk.

I think that the amount of bacteria on soap is little compared to bacteria amount on skin. If you cut yourself skin bacteria are what may get into cut. But probably the soap will wash them out.
I’ve heard (and take with a grain of salt) that there’s more bacteria in and on the human body than actual human cells. If that’s the case then personally I’m not worried about the relatively small amount of bacteria on a bar of soap. And as you say the soap itself should take care of most of the harmful bacteria

If there was a lot of bacteria growing on/in soap, the soap would go bad/rancid very quickly. "Real soap" has quite high pH 8-10 and most bacteria cannot survive in that alkaline of an environment. Now I cannot speak for the "modern soaps", not made with lye. They probably have to add preservatives to them to prevent it from going bad. Besides without the bacteria on our skin we would be not very healthy. This is the reason why I am not a big fan of anti-bacterial soaps.

I’ve heard (and take with a grain of salt) that there’s more bacteria in and on the human body than actual human cells. If that’s the case then personally I’m not worried about the relatively small amount of bacteria on a bar of soap. And as you say the soap itself should take care of most of the harmful bacteria
No grain of salt is needed. You are essentially a super organism, and not only do you have mlre bacterial cells than human cells in your body, but they outnumber human cells by at least 9:1.

I agree with the comment about the high pH limiting the growth of bacteria in soap. Bacteria can be cultured from soap in experimental conditions, but the actual risk of getting an infection from soap is ridiculously low.

Besides without the bacteria on our skin we would be not very healthy. This is the reason why I am not a big fan of anti-bacterial soaps.

Antibacterial soaps are not a good thing for the general population. If used to frequently, bacteria will build up resistance to them.

The high PH does provide a high alkaline environment that us not favorable to bacterial reproduction.

The problem with bacteria is that they can form protective spores that can be difficult to eliminate. These become a health issue when they are taken into the body by ingestion or a open wound.

Soap, by its nature has antibacterial action. Soap and detergents dissolve fats and oils. This means that they will dissolve the lipid cellular membranes of the bacteria.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Arguments in favor of Quaznoid and EclipseRedRing. A simple shave is effective and just as comfortable.
Perhaps due to the influence of YouTubers, many people now place too much emphasis on the "Santa Claus beard"-like lather. If the lather cannot squeeze out ice cream, some people will think you are breaking the law.

Let's take a look at a documentary about Billy Hukin, the renowned Sheffield razor craftsman.
He just shaved with a regular bar of soap.
It doesn't matter if some lather disappears, the remaining lubrication is enough to get the job done.

The bacterial problem is also far less serious than feared.
My wife is good at making handmade soap, and she makes all my shaving soaps.
In fact, they often re-press some broken soap or leftovers from demolding into newly made soap.

Once the soap becomes spoiled, your nose will know...it's the same as food.
Most things in life are "non-sterile", and we don't grill razors over fire to sterilize them before shaving.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Arguments in favor of Quaznoid and EclipseRedRing. A simple shave is effective and just as comfortable.
Perhaps due to the influence of YouTubers, many people now place too much emphasis on the "Santa Claus beard"-like lather. If the lather cannot squeeze out ice cream, some people will think you are breaking the law.

Let's take a look at a documentary about Billy Hukin, the renowned Sheffield razor craftsman.
He just shaved with a regular bar of soap.
It doesn't matter if some lather disappears, the remaining lubrication is enough to get the job done.

The bacterial problem is also far less serious than feared.
My wife is good at making handmade soap, and she makes all my shaving soaps.
In fact, they often re-press some broken soap or leftovers from demolding into newly made soap.

Once the soap becomes spoiled, your nose will know...it's the same as food.
Most things in life are "non-sterile", and we don't grill razors over fire to sterilize them before shaving.
Amazing - he does no skin stretching at all and, given how loose his skin is due to his age, I would expect him to cut himself, but he does not. I would watch that and swear his technique was terrible but it obviously works for him. A very interesting video and certainly something to think about 👍

Top Bottom