What's new

Lather Machine

I'll chime in here, as I'm a barber, and I use the Campbell's Lather King daily. They are designed to be left plugged in for extended periods of time, as once they've been unplugged and have cooled... it takes a least an hour to heat the lather up to optimal conditions. There are no 'On' or 'Off' switches... plugging the unit in is what turns on the heating element. We only unplug ours during the days we are closed. As for home use, I will just say that they probably aren't worth all the hassle. They do make a fairly large footprint when sitting in your bathroom and such. They are supposed to be used with a proprietary shave cream (either Campbells' or Gabel's), but instead, we mix Arko shave cream with the appropriate amount of water, and it makes a much better lather with which we use for our hot towel neck shaves, and our Luxury Hot Towel Shaves.

Now the hassle... They do require maintenance and cleaning from time to time (about once a month or so, because they do gunk up with all the residual lather, etc...). We take ours completely apart, wash and clean all the parts thoroughly, put them back together, then run the proprietary cleaner/conditioner through them.

There are no air-pumps, or high-tech electronics to make these machines work. Basically, there is a water tight cup (which holds the liquid shave cream), fitted with a tension valve, which when opened by the button, drips a small amount of lather down into a tube. Inside this tube, sits a large, Lucite worm gear (of course this gear is attached to the electric motor). The heating element is a large, coated wire, folded in on itself a few times, and sits just under the tube in which the lather drips into. Since the tube is made of a metal, the heat is transferred from the coated wire to the tube, thus heating by induction. The motor spins the worm gear at a very, very high rpm, and this is what mixes in the air to make the lather. Since the gear is a 'worm' gear, the spinning of this gear is what causes the lather to expel out the front in the correct direction. By pressing the button on the top, will simultaneously open the drip valve and turn the motor on. As soon as the button is let up on, the gear immediately stops spinning, so there is no oozing of lather coming from the exit hole.

This design hasn't changed in over 50 years, as I also have two vintage Lather Kings from the 1940's and the 1950's (all chromed, and just beautiful!), and the inner workings are exactly the same. The only difference is that the vintage models have a curved, ceramic heating element (much like you would see in a toaster) instead of a folded, coated wire. The vintage models are completely made of metal, whereas the more modern ones have plastic housings and motor coverings.

I'm really curious what's in the campbels lather. I checked the meds and everything and can't find ingredients or anything.

I thought all soaps had to have the ingredient list on them. Every other soap, shampoo, lotion, I've ever bought had the ingredient list on the bottle.

how do they get away with it?

how do they get away with it?

They might fly under the radar because of the small, controlled market they serve. Nobody asks what ingredients are in the lather used by their barber.

Or, perhaps there's no law requiring it and the others do it voluntarily.

Or maybe the bottle is not labeled for individual sale and the ingredients are on the case.

This is an odd and pessimistic thread to me. The older versions of these machines are awesome, and I for one lust after some of them. It is only a matter of time until I own one.

I love the industrial design of some of these and would snatch up a prewar or 1950s lather machine in a heartbeat. I find it curious that the majority of people on B&B would drop $100 on cologne, or $40 on a puck like it was nothing, but run screaming from the neatest shaving ephemera. I'd never spend that kind of money on colognes, but I'd drop it for something as cool as a vintage lather machine without thinking.

I would proudly give up precious bathroom space for some of the vintage lather machines. There are some awesome awesome awesome models out there. The deco bakelite majesty of some of these machines is spooge-worthy. There are several models of Barsope that makes me have to have more than one model of that brand alone.

Dudes! If you don't want one of these, that's fine, but all of the objections I see here are straw dogs. My fear is the objections raised would scare off the timid who might really enjoy one of these. If you can put your coffee maker on a timer you can have one of these up to temp and waiting for you as well. As far as maintenance- to paraphrase the Island of Doctor Moreau "ARE WE NOT MEN?!" These operate on simple mechanical functions. We are the same group of individuals pressing sharp steel to our throats. We can handle an occasional rinse out of a swell piece of equipment or pick up a screwdriver now and then when needed.

Don't mean to sound cranky, just want to add ballast to the side of discussion that heartily recommends you go out and buy one of these. I mean, the one guy says he shoots ARKO lather out of his! How cool is that?!

Cheers.

Edit: Check out these beauties:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSWlQorracw

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nice-Vintag...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-DEL...t=US_Shaving_Hair_Removal&hash=item2ecd8f905d

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cool-Retro-...t=US_Shaving_Hair_Removal&hash=item3387004f6f

Last edited:
My kind of lather machine
$chubby2.jpg
:lol:

Rusted Rocket, +1. When I finally settle down, I'm finding a vintage machine and putting it into operation. It seems like a worthwhile project!

This is my vintage Sears Hot Head. It fits on any can of lather. You just pop off the dispenser head from the can, place the machine on top and push down. It cycles on and off. When the light goes out, it's ready. It gives enough hot foam for one pass. I used it up until I switched to gel. The first time I used it on gel I scalded my hand when the gel came out.

This is my vintage Sears Hot Head. It fits on any can of lather. You just pop off the dispenser head from the can, place the machine on top and push down. It cycles on and off. When the light goes out, it's ready. It gives enough hot foam for one pass. I used it up until I switched to gel. The first time I used it on gel I scalded my hand when the gel came out.

Cool rig I remember them and OUCH on the too hot gel.

I had something similar to the conair machine. It was maybe 9 years ago. I wasn't really a fan as it didn't seem to help much and was a pain in the butt to put the shaving cream into the thing. The can clipped in some strange round about way.

My dad used to have one of these Sears Hot Heads in the 70s... Pretty cool, wish I still had it. Since you are now using gels, any interest in selling it?​

My folks got me the conair lather machine about 15 years ago when I was still living at home. The warm lather was very nice in the cold winters. I don't know what ever happened to it, but my DB 1.5 works just fine on those frosty mornings.

My dad used to have one of these Sears Hot Heads in the 70s... Pretty cool, wish I still had it. Since you are now using gels, any interest in selling it?​

I would be glad to sell it to you but I am currently 2000 miles away from my home. I am a Canadian (snow bird) wintering in Arizona. I won't be going home until April. If you can wait until then, it's yours.

I barely have enough room now for all my shaving stuff, and can't imagine having a lather machine on the counter!

I have a Campbell's Latherizer. A lot of what has been posted is true, must be maintained, cleaned, and turned on for an hour before use. The upside, they last forever, I've had mine 25 years. They are meant to be used with a pre-shave cream. Back in the day Healox was the brand. Now Lucky Tiger and Gabels make nice pre-shave creams in a jar. I also prefer the Gabels over Campbell's own brand of lather for the machine.

Top Bottom