What's new

Larger sized brushes comparable to Yaqi Bali Silvertip 24mm

Hi,

So I have quite many badgers, but i derive the most pleasure from my Yaqi Bali silvertip 24mm. It has the most cloud like feeling on my face - I am a face latherer. There is no scritch/scratch/pokiness etc in the brush. The backbone is great as well. Its like my holy grail brush. If only Yaqi could have done some more handle options and a bigger knot.

So I reach out to Grace from Yaqi, through her Instagram, asking her if I can get a bigger knot. The reply was that they don't do bigger silvertip knots since the price increases and there may not be many takers for the brush. Break my heart :(

Can any of the group member help me find some comparable silvertips which are atleast 26-27mm? I want the same face feel, thats the only condition.

Thanks so much,
H.

Hi,

So I have quite many badgers, but i derive the most pleasure from my Yaqi Bali silvertip 24mm. It has the most cloud like feeling on my face - I am a face latherer. There is no scritch/scratch/pokiness etc in the brush. The backbone is great as well. Its like my holy grail brush. If only Yaqi could have done some more handle options and a bigger knot.

So I reach out to Grace from Yaqi, through her Instagram, asking her if I can get a bigger knot. The reply was that they don't do bigger silvertip knots since the price increases and there may not be many takers for the brush. Break my heart :(

Can any of the group member help me find some comparable silvertips which are atleast 26-27mm? I want the same face feel, thats the only condition.

Thanks so much,
H.
I have had my eye on that brush. Currently using a couple of Chubby 2,s. Concerned the Bali will be too floppy.

I have had my eye on that brush. Currently using a couple of Chubby 2,s. Concerned the Bali will be too floppy.
I dont mash the brush on my face. I can assure you that it is no way floppy. Its an exceptional face lathering brush. Only if yaqi would be a 2-33 mm more...alas :(

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Tall order my friend....Most of us have a certain preference in brushes and the brush topic is a very subjective matter. What one guy likes as a nice soft brush, maybe feels not soft, maybe even scritchy, for the next guy. Ask ten guys and you get ten answers. Also, understand that the size and the loft of a brush has a lot to do with face feel. Really hard to recommend a larger brush with similar characteristics to the one you like. The hair might be the same, but the feel might be different in a larger bus: reason is that often with increase of the size of the knot, the loft gets shorter, thus giving you a totally different feel.

Reactions: GNR

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have a Yaqi 24mm silver tip that is very similar to the Bali Silvertip(I own the Bali silvertip also) and that is the Black marble silver tip(large bloom like the Bali). Both brushes are a joy to use, when you measure at the area the knot where it comes out of the handle it measure close to 27mm from my recall.
I enjoy my 3 band silver tip brushes a lot, just as good as any brush out there IMO in synthetic , boar and badgers.
3 band Badger brushes just have a different face feel and are great lather generators, luxury soft tips, gentle scrubbers + great lather painters.
Not sure why a person would need a bigger silvertip badgers IMO.
(L) Yaqi Bali 3band 24mm silvertip....................................(R) Yaqi black marble 3band 24mm silvertip
Yaqi silvertip brushes comaparrison..jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
I like hybrid-shaped knots, or whatever those are. Preferable to a fan out to here and a bulb that's too bulby. (Poor characterization, sorry. But I know them when I see them.) :001_smile

I have a Yaqi 24mm silver tip that is very similar to the Bali Silvertip(I own the Bali silvertip also) and that is the Black marble silver tip(large bloom like the Bali). Both brushes are a joy to use, when you measure at the area the knot where it comes out of the handle it measure close to 27mm from my recall.
I enjoy my 3 band silver tip brushes a lot, just as good as any brush out there IMO in synthetic , boar and badgers.
3 band Badger brushes just have a different face feel and are great lather generators, luxury soft tips, gentle scrubbers + great lather painters.
Not sure why a person would need a bigger silvertip badgers IMO.
(L) Yaqi Bali 3band 24mm silvertip....................................(R) Yaqi black marble 3band 24mm silvertip
View attachment 1660160
Have some great shaves!
@Ron R ha ha... i really dont need a bigger brush, but wanted to buy something purely for science (if you understand what i mean :)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Not sure what you wanted then?

Tall order my friend....Most of us have a certain preference in brushes and the brush topic is a very subjective matter. What one guy likes as a nice soft brush, maybe feels not soft, maybe even scritchy, for the next guy. Ask ten guys and you get ten answers. Also, understand that the size and the loft of a brush has a lot to do with face feel. Really hard to recommend a larger brush with similar characteristics to the one you like. The hair might be the same, but the feel might be different in a larger bus: reason is that often with increase of the size of the knot, the loft gets shorter, thus giving you a totally different feel.
@Rudy Vey How is Simpsons Chubby 2 Silvertip, is it worth the money? Kind of holy grail brush?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
@Rudy Vey How is Simpsons Chubby 2 Silvertip, is it worth the money? Kind of holy grail brush?
I have one and I like, although the knot is probably not made by Simpson - there was a post here from a guy whose knot fell out and it looked exactly like one of the Chinese made knots - he contacted Simpson and never got an answer back, so this tells a lot.
If this is really the case, then the price is way too high.
Mine is a nice rounded bulb, it is quite soft, but it is a two-band knot. I think you were looking for a three band.
You may want to look at a Shavemac three band silvertip, or for a Silvertip Grade A knot from TGN.
I have used both a lot in my brushes, but the TGN is probably a bit cheaper.

Hi,

Thanks so much,
H.

How about photo?

I have one and I like, although the knot is probably not made by Simpson - there was a post here from a guy whose knot fell out and it looked exactly like one of the Chinese made knots - he contacted Simpson and never got an answer back, so this tells a lot.
If this is really the case, then the price is way too high.
Mine is a nice rounded bulb, it is quite soft, but it is a two-band knot. I think you were looking for a three band.
You may want to look at a Shavemac three band silvertip, or for a Silvertip Grade A knot from TGN.
I have used both a lot in my brushes, but the TGN is probably a bit cheaper.

I was exploring this one. Its a two band silvertip. I dont have any Simpsons, I recently got an Epsilon super 49/26 fan which feels and works amazing. Hope you remember. I took the groups advice including yours, and decided to go for Epsilon instead of Simpsons chubby 2 in best.
This time I thought of buying a chubby 2 or 3 (which i assume because of its sheer size wont be much practical, please correct me if I am wrong) in a 2 band silvertip

Top Bottom