What's new

Lady Gillettes

So, do I indeed have a light blue and a dark blue or not??? I know it is kinda hard to tell from the pic but it is the best I can do with my stupid camera.

CIMG2568 by jsrdrnr, on Flickr

From that wiki page, the dark blue is pretty dark. Looks like I may have two light blues and one is just more faded than the other. There is definately a difference but nothing like the photo in the wiki.

Initially, I was thinking that you had that dark blue one at the top of the Wiki photo and the silvery-blue one on the right of the Wiki photo. May be not. I don't know much about this sort of thing, but I was wondering whether the various ID codes on the razor could identify the color of the razor.

I was wondering that too but dont know for sure. If anyone out there knows, I have an M which is the darker of the two and P is the lighter of the two.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
So, do I indeed have a light blue and a dark blue or not??? I know it is kinda hard to tell from the pic but it is the best I can do with my stupid camera.

My SWMBO, Starburst looks just like the one in the middle. Very dark vibrant blue on the star-bursts, and a much lighter blue handle. The handle does not look faded, nor does it have any wear marks, it looks as if it was made that way. Except for a bit of a lazy door which does close tight I would call hers near mint. I may be wrong if the handle should be the same color blue as the star-bursts.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Gillette made every color every year, so the date codes won't help you there, sorry.

More info from the WIKI.

Description: High polish nickel plated head and bulb knob. The handle is textured for grip on the lower two thirds, while the upper third has a dull nickel polish with star burst design. Both the handle and stars are of the same color. The razor was available in a Champagne (yellow), Pink (red), Light Blue and Pale Light Blue (lavender) color. The light blue was most common. Variations include larger starbursts, a diamond emboss under the head vs a bulkier less pointed version, aluminum or nickel doors, and end cap differences.

This says the handle and stars were the same color. My wifes must be faded on the handle. It almost appears you have two light blue with faded handles and a pink.

Disclaimer:
I do not know anymore than what I just read.:w00t:
Scott

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If the handles are not faded (and they do indeed fade) you will have no doubt when you see the two different blue handles side by side.

I had a blue that the handle was almost completely silver colored. Very evenly colored all over, but just the slightest tint of blue left.

The one in the middle above looks like the light blue version, the one on the left looks faded. (EDIT - could be the lighting though)

Here's a pic of the dark blue;

Last edited:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Phil,

Thanks for clearing that up.....now it is time to luvmyownsupper.

Scott

Hiya,

This is the darkest blue Lady Gillette that I've seen over the years. Dated L1, and next to another blue (possibly very faintly faded) version.

Martin

I responded to this post on another site - but thought I would share here!!

I got my first Big Blue Lady at a used gun shop in Montana. It said antiques on the outside, but when I walked in there were three dudes dressed in camo polishing rifles and there was a big ole houndog laying down and drooling into this huge puddle on the floor. There were easily a gazillion and three handguns, shotguns, little bitty guns, great big motherin guns on the counters, on the walls, in cabinets, in boxes on the floor, and of course, on the laps of the two fellers sitting down.

As me and my wife walk in the door, SQUEEEEEEK goes the friggin hinges. Three heads (the dog didn't bother - too old) turn our way. One of the guys says 'can I help you?' as he puts down a shotgun on the counter and picks up some kind of revolver. (I'm telling you - at this point I was thinking we had stepped into some sort of Twilight Zone episode!)

I say, rather meekly at this point and in my obviously 'foreign' canadian accent, 'uh, mmmm, uh, do you have any old razors?'.

This guy looks at me like I was gonna die at any second. The others are lookin at me like I could be the biggest sissy they've ever seen. (At least thats how it felt.) Even the dog finally turns his head and just stares with these HUGE bloodshot eyes. I am feeling a little weak kneed indeed!

Next thing I know,

"Uh yep." He reaches under the counter, brings out an old cigar box and plunks it down. He leaves the lid closed, looks away and starts polishing the handgun. The other two (plus the dog) continue to stare. (Holy crap - tension!!!!)

I walk over, thinking under my breath these fellers can hear my knee joints vibrating, and I quietly and slowly open the box.

A Fatboy, a Single Ring, and the deepest blue Lady Gillette I had ever seen!! Holy Crap!!!! I was thrilled!! But, now I was terrified to **** off these fine gentleman. "h, ho, how m, mmm,much???"

"Ten bucks".

"E, ea, ea, each??"

"If you want to. But I'll take ten bucks for em all."

WOOoOOOOoHOoOOooOO!!!!

I like these Montana tough fellers!! They got great razors!!! (And, I ain't no expert, but they might just know a thing or two about guns!)

:thumbup1:

Awesome story Rocketman! hilarious.... i know people like that!

My wife (35) uses a champagne K1 and my daughter (16) uses a light blue J4

pretty cool huh?

Overall I think the Lady G's are awesome razors. I really like the long handle and would use one, but they are obviously tame in comparison to my 1955 redtip.

Top Bottom