What's new

Knot removal - Epoxy Big Bruce handle

Greetings,

I put a beautiful manchurian knot in a Razorock Bug Bruce handle. I want to reuse the knot again in another handle . Is there any chance to remove the knot?

Thanks in advance!

Greetings,

I put a beautiful manchurian knot in a Razorock Bug Bruce handle. I want to reuse the knot again in another handle . Is there any chance to remove the knot?

Thanks in advance!
I like to steam my knots out.

I made a YouTube video about it. If silicone is used, then knots come out easily, which is why that's what I always use.

But the steaming method is also useful when epoxy is used as well. It's often just not as clean or as quick or as easy.

"How to remove a knot from a shaving brush - steam method" is the title. It's a do it at your own risk kind of situation, but I've had great success with this method.

(Sent from mobile)

I would never steam a knot out and never recommend doing so, as boiling water could melt the handle and second it would kill the glue on the knot so you could end up binning both.

It depends if you used epoxy when you put the knot in or silicone, if it was epoxy you would end up breaking the handle to get it out.

But we need more info as to how you installed the knot.

If the handle is plastic you can put it in a vise and crush it. I put some pics up of what it looks like to mine a Zenith knot a few threads back in this sub forum.

I would never steam a knot out and never recommend doing so, as boiling water could melt the handle and second it would kill the glue on the knot so you could end up binning both.

It depends if you used epoxy when you put the knot in or silicone, if it was epoxy you would end up breaking the handle to get it out.

But we need more info as to how you installed the knot.

Yes, sir I used epoxy.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
If you used epoxy, I think you will not have much luck.
I always tell my customers, either the knots gets destroyed and the handle can be used, or the handle is a goner and the knot can be used again. Rarely will a knot come out easily, and both handle and knot could be reused. I also advise against the steaming method, as the glue holding the hairs together in the knot may get damaged and then the brush will start shedding, and hair may even come out in clumps.

If you used epoxy, I think you will not have much luck.
I always tell my customers, either the knots gets destroyed and the handle can be used, or the handle is a goner and the knot can be used again. Rarely will a knot come out easily, and both handle and knot could be reused. I also advise against the steaming method, as the glue holding the hairs together in the knot may get damaged and then the brush will start shedding, and hair may even come out in clumps.
You have a great reputation for your brushes, and I’ve read by other artisans that silicone is the way to go. Do you feel silicone is best? I’ve always used epoxy since it’s so darn easy...

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
You have a great reputation for your brushes, and I’ve read by other artisans that silicone is the way to go. Do you feel silicone is best? I’ve always used epoxy since it’s so darn easy...
I use 2-part epoxy only, never tried silicone.

I'm sorry. My recommendation of steaming the knot out was based on preserving the handle and not the knot.

Since it looks like you want to keep the knot, I would advise cutting the handle off. A bandsaw will work really well cut off just about any kind of handle.

But I don't have one of those. What I actually do is put the handle on the corner of a brick and hit it with a hammer to basically make the brick be a wedge that would create a split. Gradually I would chip off parts of the handle until I got pretty close to where the knot was. Then I would switch to using my Dremel to get the remainder of the handle off while still keeping the knot intact.

And I like to fix my knots into handles with silicone for the very purpose of being able to switch them out easily.

And it's permanent enough, with all of my knots staying in place for years. And if one ever comes out, if you perhaps happen to use a little less silicone than you should, it's so easy to scrape away the excess silicone and redo it.

(Sent from mobile)

Top Bottom