What's new

Just like Grampa used to shave

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Ha ha, great story!!! Glad it turned up. And sitting in the car baking for a few weeks might contribute to a bit of odor coming from the brush. If you've got some soap you don't mind using, I suggest lathering heavy & set the brush overnight with the lather. Rinse & let dry. Repeat heavy lather. Do that about 10 times & you might get the pig perfume smell out of the brush. It really is a wonderful brush, but you can't know that while you've got a clothespin on your nose. That kind of ruins the enjoyment!

And you didn't slander me, my friend. It takes a lot to offend my simple mind!
I can say it's softer after the second use than after the 1st.... Smells a TINY bit better too....

LOVE what I think it's going to become.... Very nice backbone, springy, tips actually already showing signs of splitting....

FarmerTan

So I guess it was Wednesday that I shaved last. What a loser! I did use that shedding abomination of a brush. With my homemade "Brut" scented soap, which was grated Old Spice soap soaked in some old Brut 33. Smells wonderful. That brush didn't lose a single bristle! BBS shave with 2 passes, except I did hit my chin for a third pass. Two little weepers with that Caisson blade. It just HATES going against the grain on my incredibly handsome face. Feels the tiniest bit harsh, kind of like a Nacet on the first use, or a GSB, like it's stropping itself on your face. I'll use it again, that blade, making three tries. It really does give me the impression that it's going to calm down with more uses.

The first 2 passes I used the ABC razor that @HDSledge gifted me. The more I use that thing the more I think Gillette perfected the DE razor A LONG time ago. If you respect it, it is incredible.

I had those two weepers, but still wanted a closer shave on my chin, so I chickened out and went with my birth quarter Tech for the third pass. I need to use that more too. It's probably the best razor I have for just shaving daily and not having to "think" about a nice, comfortable, presentable shave, that makes me look incredibly handsome.

And I followed it up with some of that ol' Brut 33. Very nice shave.

FarmerTan

Hello again. It appears that I have been neglecting this very important thread.

I used that brush that won't die twice in the last week.

I will have a post tonight about it. But that thing only lost one hair in each shave. Hopefully everyone had a nice July 4th.

It's funny, I thought that I thought I started this on July 5th, but I see I started it on the 6th, in 2019. Four years ago today. Hopefully you will hear from me in this thread before another year goes by!

The daily werk of keeping Arkoland safe for all of my subjecks takes up so MUCH of my time doggone!

FarmerTan

I’ll be patiently waiting for your next post.

:eek2:
I highly recommend that if your cardiologist tells you to retire, you fire your cardiologist.

I've never been so busy werkin' at nuthin' all day.

And NEVER agree to be on a planning kommission. Even if you want your wife to have to call you "the Commish" because it ain't werth the headaches. "Giving back to your Kommunity" sounds better in your head than it does in real life doggone!

lasta

Blade Biter
I highly recommend that if your cardiologist tells you to retire, you fire your cardiologist.

I've never been so busy werkin' at nuthin' all day.

And NEVER agree to be on a planning kommission. Even if you want your wife to have to call you "the Commish" because it ain't werth the headaches. "Giving back to your Kommunity" sounds better in your head than it does in real life doggone!

Ask not what you can do for your kommunity but what your kommunity can do for you!

FarmerTan

Ask not what you can do for your kommunity but what your kommunity can do for you!
Lol, I have found that it's nearly impossible to "please some of the people some of the time!"

You'd be surprised what some folks want.

I've been following a thread started by @FaceScraper about using used soaps. Yes, I'm aware that the end of that last sentence sounds awkward. And that got me to thinking about another thread in which someone was worried about getting anthrax from a used, all bent up brush. Which got me to thinking how big a sissy my old dad would think of me worrying about such things, and how stupid he'd think I was for thinking of shaving as a "hobby!" Can you imagine?

So, with all that in mind, and how at least once a day someone alludes to shaving like their grampa did, I remembered all those brushes that are a hundred years old that are bent that we bid each other up on at that auction house by the Bay. Well, I recently found a brush that was a shedder that I was too cheap to throw out, hidden in the other bathroom so the War Department wouldn't throw it out. I used it to lather a soap sample from @shavefan , and left it sitting in the bowl. The next day, it looked like it had been sitting there for a hundred years, and I thought "I should sell this as a genuine antique!" But, I couldn't bring myself to stoop so low, and decided on this: I'm gonna just use this brush and this bowl to whip up lather with, and never rinse either, and just add soaps and creams to it and see what grows in it. Oh, I'll dump out extra water, but that's it. Why?

BECAUSE THAT'S HOW GRAMPA DID IT!

Old Man of the Dads is the best band name I've seen this week. They would play literate, edgy folk music with strong blues, country, and jazz flourishes . . . unless the name were used ironically, in which case it would be some kind of loud Devil metal sponsored by a hip, trendy shaving company like Arko.

FarmerTan

Old Man of the Dads is the best band name I've seen this week. They would play literate, edgy folk music with strong blues, country, and jazz flourishes . . . unless the name were used ironically, in which case it would be some kind of loud Devil metal sponsored by a hip, trendy shaving company like Arko.
This sounds like my dream band!

Top Bottom