What's new

Just can't seem to get there

Congrats on a good shave, @Bundy71! You're doing great. You, like many of us, likely needed a little practice to unlearn some bad habits. As many have noted, it's all about technique.

Cartridge razors are designed to be forgiving of excess pressure and used in one-pass with the grain, i.e. swiveling heads, lubrication strips, and multiple blades with little exposure. They are designed that way because many guys naturally tend to apply pressure, often more than is needed. And multiple passes are the norm with DE razors.

Your latest post in this thread indicates you may well have turned to corner to real success, and great shaves will follow. IMHO comfort dominates closeness. Your beard is going to grow back anyway. Just relax and go for consistently comfortable shaves. Perhaps contrary to some, my take is that a two-pass daily shave will build good technique for you faster. More practice with less stubble to remove=less desire to "dig in." Until you can shave irritation free for at least a week going WTG and XTG, I would avoid an ATG pass. Of course, if you get irritation then you'll need to rest your face. A step back maybe, but it will afford you an easier path forward.

Arko is a very good soap, and a good choice for a daily driver. During Arko August this year, I did find that Arko was a bit drying for me when used daily for more than a week. I do use an alcohol-based aftershave most days, so that might have contributed to the dryness, as well as our low humidity environment. I just reached for some Nivea balm, later in the day. There are so many nice product choices, it can be overwhelming.

Your razor is fine; I'd pair it with a sharp blade. If you want a tuck of Feathers, just PM me with your address and I'll mail one out.
Thanks! I was thinking less passes daily would be a good approach as long as I don't have to let any irritation subside. Maybe I'm getting to that point. Plus, I'd get to "play" more often!

I appreciate the offer for the Feathers, but already have a tuck from a sampler, just haven't mustered up the courage to try them yet.

Congrats @Bundy71, you're making nice progress and it will get better and better! Keep it up 😀

One thing to always remember Technique trumps Hardware, so NO - it was not the soap, but your improved technique. Be rest assured there's nothing wrong with TOBS. A few more shaves down the road and you will not need to focus/concentrate on the angle and pressure, it will become natural and intuitive.
There's technique to everything is what I'm learning. I love the scent of TOBS Sandalwood, so I'm not giving up on it. I think my inexperience making a proper lather prior to this last shave was part of my problem. My lather came out out kind of heavy and sticky to the point it would take three strokes just to clear the lather, which my brain equates to a completed pass of an area (i.e. 3 strokes*3 passes + non-optimal technique = A LOT of skin abuse). Now I realize I wasn't hydrating the lather properly which minimized it's slickness and protection. Learning can be painful!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
There's technique to everything is what I'm learning. I love the scent of TOBS Sandalwood, so I'm not giving up on it. I think my inexperience making a proper lather prior to this last shave was part of my problem. My lather came out out kind of heavy and sticky to the point it would take three strokes just to clear the lather, which my brain equates to a completed pass of an area (i.e. 3 strokes*3 passes + non-optimal technique = A LOT of skin abuse). Now I realize I wasn't hydrating the lather properly which minimized it's slickness and protection. Learning can be painful!
Mix up a batch of TOBS and break the lather on purpose. Just do as you do now, but keep adding water slowly. I think it will be informative for you and you will find a thinner slicker wetter lather before it breaks and that lather would be better to shave with.

You got a lot of good advice in previous comments and it sound like you are making progress on many fronts. Congrats.

Mix up a batch of TOBS and break the lather on purpose. Just do as you do now, but keep adding water slowly. I think it will be informative for you and you will find a thinner slicker wetter lather before it breaks and that lather would be better to shave with.

You got a lot of good advice in previous comments and it sound like you are making progress on many fronts. Congrats.
Yeah...the realization that I have been forming my lather wrong was an aha moment after my last shave. I think (hope) I know what to look for now. I also know not to let my guard down...so many variables and any one of them that goes wrong can ruin the final result.

So I’ve had a few shaves since starting this thread, and I feel like I need to change the title to “Finally getting there.”

I think I’m really improving my technique to the point that I’m getting consistent results even with changes to my equipment, having used different soaps, pre-shaves, blades, etc. The last two shaves have been near BBS with no irritation.

I’m going to keep working at it, but thanks again for all your help and advice!

throw a Kai into the mix. It's the simplest way to beef up the aggression of a mild razor and works a treat in the 34C.

I had abandoned use of my 34C because I was getting the same unacceptable results. Tried a Kai in the 34C yesterday, and it totally transformed that razor into a thing of beauty with awesome results. The Kai apparently has a tiny bit more width, and it makes a huge difference.

I had abandoned use of my 34C because I was getting the same unacceptable results. Tried a Kai in the 34C yesterday, and it totally transformed that razor into a thing of beauty with awesome results. The Kai apparently has a tiny bit more width, and it makes a huge difference.
A Kai blade is just perfect for pepping up razors that have become too mild for us.

Top Bottom