What's new

Joseph Rogers and Sons

Mom was unpacking some stuff and found a stash of my grandfather's knives. This one gave me a chuckle, and I wonder how old it is.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Yeah the JR@S history is pretty cool. I did a bunch of reading as it was my first straight I bought off eBay even before my whipped dog. Turned out to be one of my best shavers and from 1890-1901 based on tang stamps. They made a ton of knives thus being "cutlers to his/their/her majesty".

Very nice knife. I just picked up this JR&S yesterday for $8 at a flea market... it's in need of some attention. The scales seem to be be wooden, not sure if they are original or not but they have been around for a while. The markings state "Sheffield" at the very bottom, absent is "England" so I would think it dates to pre 1890. I started sanding the blade last night and it's starting to look a whole lot better! I plan on restoring and retaining the scales as well.$image-11.jpg$image-13.jpg$image-14.jpg

There was a time when JR&S pocket knives were very highly regarded and were probably the most recognizable pocket knives in many parts of the world. This is especially true of their signature three pin designs like the ones below.

$538386356_tp.jpg

$1291183_100321085043_Picture_225.jpg

proxy.php

JR&S is the only knife that I have ever sought out specifically by name (rather than comparing other options).

The steel in their knives is nothing special, some sort of 440 if I recall correctly, but I don't rely on my pocket knives to do hard work - I have knives with VG10 and Bohler M390 etc. for tougher jobs. The JR&S knives are just cool to have.

Top Bottom