What's new

JB Weld?

Is this considered adequate enough for setting in a knot? Ive seen a few people around here use it but it doesn't seem well accepted by the masses. Ive got a bunch of tubes laying around and would like to use it for my restore, what do you think?

Well Im not sure what other epoxy to use. Some are saying the 5-minute stuff can become brittle. I just wanted to make sure I have something strong that I won't need to worry about or be mindful of when Im lathering.

Really any good epoxy is fine. I use slow set (24hr System Three) because I have it. I tend to want more time than the 5 minute stuff provides though.

For a brush any epoxy is likely overkill...but good quality with a pot time that suits your style is what I could buy.

JBWeld is black...that can be an advantage or a disadvantage depending on the handle material. Whatever you do don't let it ooze up on the hair as it will always be a glaring error.

I found that JB Weld is just not thin enough. You can smear it on things, but you can't pour it into a hole. The thinner epoxies might be the way to go if you're looking to fill in a hollow handle.

Regards.

The only real waterproof epoxy that I had any luck with was Marine Fix Fast or its other name Super Patch. The are now owned by Amazing Goop. For your application I would recommend there Seal-All its catalyst is the air and I sealed a corner of windshield gasket on a old truck I used to own and even the car wash couldn't make it leak.

One thing is for sure, if you use JB Weld you will not have to worry about that knot ever falling out :001_smile

But color might look a bit off if a little seeps out in the knot-base & becomes visible.
Clear marine epoxy doesn't show much.

No need to worry about JB Weld being toxic. It is, it's very nasty stuff.
but onces cured (fully after about one week) it's completely harmless unlees you sand/grind it.

And since you have some laying around, go for it!

Top Bottom