What's new

Jay21's Journey Journal

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Prayers for you and your wife. It is amazing she still can paint with her rheumatoid. Maybe the painting is helping her deal with the disease.
I miscommunicated there... My wife is almost fine... My barber is the one with the RA.... I think she might be forced to retire soon... way before she planned.

My wife has Dupuytren's contracture. It causes the fingers to retract and can be very similar to what can happen with RA. She uses a hot wax thermotherapy machine and it's made a huge difference. She's very worried about it, however. She's in the very early stages and the hot wax 3 or 4 times a day could keep her symptoms at a minimum... At least, that is our hope and prayer.

We had this machine for years... I bought it for my feet when I pulled both Achilles tendons...It has been sitting idle for at least 15 years. I cleaned it out, melted new wax in it and she's been using it multiple times every day since.

I've never been a fan of comb overs
Yeah...when I was much younger and better looking I had my hair down just past my shoulders. I loved it. I'd ponytail it so it wouldn't turn into a wind knot after motorcycling. Anyway as I grew older I noticed the dreaded male pattern baldness creeping in.
So I began keeping it shorter and shorter until I decided it's either the combover or the buzz. Bought myself the home clipper kit and right down to the wood. It never really gets longer than 1/8th of an inch. Easy to look after and I've saved thousands in haircuts and styling...but I still miss my long hair.

Yeah...when I was much younger and better looking I had my hair down just past my shoulders. I loved it. I'd ponytail it so it wouldn't turn into a wind knot after motorcycling. Anyway as I grew older I noticed the dreaded male pattern baldness creeping in.
So I began keeping it shorter and shorter until I decided it's either the combover or the buzz. Bought myself the home clipper kit and right down to the wood. It never really gets longer than 1/8th of an inch. Easy to look after and I've saved thousands in haircuts and styling...but I still miss my long hair.
Did you also sport a nice mullet like myself in the late 80s early 90s? Mullets rock!

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
Pre-shave: Neutrogena Hydro Boost
Brush: RR 400 matte Plissoft
Cream: Gillette Foamy
Razor: RR Lupo 95
Blade: Double-wrapped Gillette Silver Blue
Number of passes: 2, XTG
Touchups or buffs: no
Aftershave: Old Spice and Nivea Sensitive balm
Sting: No
Result: DFS (stubble ATG on neck)

Any morning you can shave with your favorite razor and blade is going to be a good day. It was also another canned goo morning. Fantastic shave. Close. No aftershave feedback or irritation. I'm some sort of weirdo compared to >95% of the members here because canned goo seems to work better for me than dedicated shaving soaps. I'll stick with canned goo for the meantime and then I'll give soaps one more concerted effort at making them my staple.

I got up a little earlier this morning so I could vote in the primary on the way to work.

Jay21

Blade: Double-wrapped Gillette Silver Blue (2)
Touchups or buffs: no

Another fantastic shave in the books. Canned goo was on the menu again. The Lupo 95 is my Zen razor and I'm glad I can finally have some of my morning Zen moments again, even if it takes canned goo in the meantime to achieve them.

Gnome, Gnome on the Range.
Where Elvis and Gnomes all play
Where seldom is heard
A loud shrieking nerd
And the Gnomes are farting all day

elvis-presley.gif

Jay21

Blade: Double-wrapped Gillette Silver Blue (3)
Touchups or buffs: yes

Another Zen shave this morning courtesy of my favorite razor and the assist from canned goo. I even did some touchup work on my neck, which I haven't been doing with soaps lately because I was always on the edge of irritation after only two passes. My neck has the toughest hair in the most directions (while also lying flat against the skin) and the most sensitive skin that is prone to burn and irritation. Today's shave was without a single incident. Lovely shave and great way to start the day.

Jay21

Blade: Derby Premium (1)
Touchups or buffs: yes
Sting: yes, very minor from additional touch up work

Really nice shave this morning. I used a Derby Premium for the first time ever. After being disappointed in the Derby Extra, I tried to have an open mind going into the shave with the Premium, but I admit I wasn't expecting much. However, the blade seems quite excellent. It sliced through my whiskers without issue. In fact, it didn't seem any less sharp than the GSB I used yesterday. If anything, it may have been a hint sharper. I did some extra touch up work today that brought some very minor sting, so I can't make a sound conclusion on how smooth the Derby Premium is yet. I think it is quite smooth, though, and I'll confirm tomorrow by not making touch ups. I'm not ready to push the button to buy 100 yet, but they definitely have caught my attention.

Top Bottom