What's new

WTB Japanese hitachi steel - straight made of white/shirogami #1 - western style

Status
Not open for further replies.
Already have a kamisori made of aogami #2, so I figure I'd put a feeler out for a big brother so it's not lonely. Looking for a western style NOS or just new.
If you don't have one to sell yourself, I'd also appreciate a recommendation on where to look for one, whether its a website or a reputable bay seller (besides aframestokyo, I already check that daily)

Last edited:
Perhaps look into yasuki steel, iirc it's basically synonymous with shirogami? I see razors from april7th1989, taunusp2 and other reputable sellers labelled that. The one I have with it, a half worn "Elizabeth Razor", takes an edge more readily than anything. You just have to show it a hone and it's like ok ok I get it and becomes sharp.

Reactions: CCR
Yeah, yasuki steel is made by hitachi, the only maker of it, in fact. The problem is, they rarely ship to any blacksmiths or stores outside Japan, there's several kinds (white 1, 2, blue 1, 2, super, and I think there's a 3 now), most sellers don't know that, let alone the difference between them, and it's only used in Japanese blades, so it's a rarity in the West, even among a niche like straight razors.
I've heard of april7th1989, but not taunusp2, so thanks for adding another name to my list. At this point I'd be grateful for a list of ebay names I can watch, given how hard it is to find such a specific item

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
The white 2 was far more common in razors than white 1, I suppose because of durability in a super thin edge. I can’t think of any white 1 razors off the top of my head, but maybe a wedge or near wedge might have worked or been made, and the Japanese certainly made plenty of those.

The Takami kamisori are white 1, Takeshi sells the brand I think.

The white 2 was far more common in razors than white 1, I suppose because of durability in a super thin edge. I can’t think of any white 1 razors off the top of my head, but maybe a wedge or near wedge might have worked or been made, and the Japanese certainly made plenty of those.

The Takami kamisori are white 1, Takeshi sells the brand I think.
Takeshi? Is that aframestokyo?
Also, any idea what "Daishi Yasuki" is? Keeps coming on bay results

Steve56

Yes, that’s AFrames.

Daishi is a brand/model of Japanese razor. Known for ‘iron sand’ steel, but I assume this is the Hitachi replica (they bought a small facility to make it) and not true tatara tamehagane.

Last edited:
Yes, that’s AFrames.

Daishi is a brand/model of Japanese razor. Known for ‘iron sand’ steel, but I assume this is the Hitachi replica (they bought a small facility to make it) and not true tatara tamehagane.
Many thanks! I don't suppose you could recommend some reputable brands of Japanese razors? Looking for something (besides Iwasaki) that'll show me that Japanese quality that keeps being mentioned

Iwasaki ($$$), Kamijo($$$), anything by Tanifuji, Eiko, Hoshi Tombo, Cape Swedish Steel, King Pelican, Hayashi Diamond, Kikuboshi... That should get you started.

Awesome, thanks! I'll start looking for them on the bay. Offhand, do you know what steel they use?
A bay seller told me some 60's razors had a forerunner to Yasuki when I asked about a $300 razor, something inbetween today's white #1 and white #1, couldn't really tell if he was blowing smoke or not

Steve56

I’m not trying to be difficult, here’s a real life example.

Joseph Rodgers imported Swedish ore and made their own cast steel for scissors and razors at Sheaf Works (IIRC).

So is that Swedish steel or English steel?

Lol, I’m interested in hearing opinions!

Reactions: CCR
I’m not trying to be difficult, here’s a real life example.

Joseph Rodgers imported Swedish ore and made their own cast steel for scissors and razors at Sheaf Works (IIRC).

So is that Swedish steel or English steel?

Lol, I’m interested in hearing opinions!
I think he goes by april71989 on bay he has these for like 130$ NOS Kamisori's they look to be in great shape. Reason i ask is my youngest son's bady is around the corner and he was wanting one. But i have zero knowledge of Kamisori's
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600.jpg

NOS Inoue Tosuke England Steel Kamisori Japanese Straight Razor

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Kamisori need to be honed a particular way so make sure to do some
Homework before you hone it up.
The spine steel is quite soft and wears away astonishingly quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom