What's new

James Bond's Gillette

So, I am re-reading Ian Fleming's "On Her Majesty's Secret Service". Fleming wrote this novel in January - February 1962, and it was published in April 1963 (according to Wikipedia). In the story, Bond is battling Blofeld and has to go in to his Alps Skiing Compound "clean", i.e., without any weapons or gadgets, posing as an expert on heraldry. At about three-fourths of the way in to the story, Bond is preparing to escape the compound and must improvise some weapons to get out and use the ski run. After an inventory of his belongings, he settles on using his Rolex Oyster Perpetual and his Gillette razor as "knuckle dusters".

Any thoughts on the razor of choice? I vote for a Rocket Flair Tip.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
In Goldfinger (the 7th novel) Bond uses a Gillette Aristocrat Adjustable. Odds are he would still have it just three novels later.

Far Right:
proxy.php

In Goldfinger (the 7th novel) Bond uses a Gillette Aristocrat Adjustable. Odds are he would still have it just three novels later.

Far Right:
proxy.php

It’s so weard this subject has come up. I have just been gifted an Aristocrat date code k4, my birth year, but not month sadly. Not shaved with it yet, but it is in great condition

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He used the Aristocrat Adjustable in the movie, but the novel was written in 1st quarter 1958, too early for that razor to appear in print. Maybe he picked Felix Leiter's pocket and palmed a Toggle...

Why not the Slim Adjustable? Of course, knowing Fleming and his realistic details, you'd think he'd have mentioned some more identifying details of the razor.

Bond's Rolex was always described as the Oyster Perpetual, but in several scenes in various books Fleming uses the word "numerals" for the markers on the dial. In other words, a watch with numbers. Which suggests Fleming might have had the Explorer in mind, rather than the movie-famous Submariner. (Fleming himself owned an Explorer.)

Why not the Slim Adjustable? Of course, knowing Fleming and his realistic details, you'd think he'd have mentioned some more identifying details of the razor.

Bond's Rolex was always described as the Oyster Perpetual, but in several scenes in various books Fleming uses the word "numerals" for the markers on the dial. In other words, a watch with numbers. Which suggests Fleming might have had the Explorer in mind, rather than the movie-famous Submariner. (Fleming himself owned an Explorer.)

I agree that the Rolex is most likely the Explorer. He (Fleming) wrote about things he was familiar about. An example is the .25 Beretta, which Bond used until "From Russia with Love." Fleming received a fan letter in 1957 from a fan and gun enthusiast criticizing the choice of firearm for Bond and labeling it "a lady's gun". He suggested several alternatives, one of which was the Walther.

As for the Gillette, I also like the Aristocrat Adjustable.

He guys, it's only fiction. It is easier to speculate what was used in the movie where you can get a glimpse of it, but harder to speculate what was on Flemming's mind when he wrote it. But it's still all only fiction.

European watch, European pistols, European cars - probably a European razor. Although razors weren't really considered a luxury item in the Rolex or Aston Martin vein in the 1950s/60s - might as well speculate on what brand of toothbrush he used or what toilet paper he preferred....

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
European watch, European pistols, European cars - probably a European razor. Although razors weren't really considered a luxury item in the Rolex or Aston Martin vein in the 1950s/60s - might as well speculate on what brand of toothbrush he used or what toilet paper he preferred....
Well, yeah, but Bond didn't use his toothbrush as a knuckle-duster. It was the razor!

P.S. His toothbrush was probably a Kent. Toilet paper? I'm guessing hundred pound notes.

I'm not sure how he would use a razor as a "knuckleduster".
I would hold it with the head in my palm, the handle sticking out between middle and ring fingers, and use it more like a push dagger.
Take the blade out first, of course, and attach it to the toothbrush for a shiv. It may not have the stopping power, but it may provide a visual distraction if you wave it in front of their face.

Top Bottom