What's new

Iwasaki Tamahagane restoration

I haven't posted a lot of my restos on B&B but I thought I should post this one as for me this was my holy grail.
I'll split the pics up into 2 posts so I can get em all in.

This is a collector's razor that I had the great pleasure of working on & discovering its hidden beauty.
According to my photo dates I started this one in April & finished June 2010.

Originally the owner didn't want any photos on the net but I recently suggested things of beauty should be shared with others.
He reluctantly agreed :)

At the centre of the razor box in the before pics is a stamp showing HV 860.
This is a hardness rating on the Vickers scale which corresponds to about 66 HRC !!!
Yes it is hard steel & took some work, however I would like to point out that the forging is so perfect that the blade edge will deflect & return like the best spring steel. It is not brittle in any sense but tough as all get out. Also at no stage of the honing process , starting from 500 Shapton GS, did I ever see a single microchip in the edge. I regularly use a loupe to check my work.
Honing & testing was a long process but I was lucky to have some J-nats on hand I was testing for a mate. I found a very fast cutter amongst them & also resorted to the 0.5 µm diamond spray on the spyderco trick. Even while it was not quite shave ready the smoothness of the steel against skin was always uber comfortable & it was always a close shave. I would very much like to own a mint one of these ... or maybe the means to afford one.

I tried using my usual process of restoration but in the final stages there was a mottling in the steel that would not give me an even polish. As this was a special job I decided to go back to my roots & handsand from 240 grit - 2k grit. By about 600 grit I could see what was developing & was quite excited realising I could finish this off with traditional sword polishing techniques.

I won't go into great detail but the blade was polished with 2 different, small "fingerstones " , then with a paste containing magnetite & uchiko powder & finally the spine area was repolished lightly with a small uchigumori fingerstone. There was some pitting near the toe I could not shift but was not prepared to abrade away any more precious steel.

I'm not sure how it was achieved but there appears to be a very faint, thin, straight hamon near the edge rising up into a darker colour in the body then the more obvious whiter area at the spine but what is really obvious is in the last pic. This steel has been folded into such a homogenous state it is virtually nashi-ji or pear textured. Yeah I know there are great modern steels around that might compare but there's another dimension to tamahagane worked by a master like Iwasaki san that is unmatched IMHO.

Well, I'll stop raving on. Hope you enjoy the pics. I left my indoor settings on for a couple of the garden shots. Looked ok I thought :)

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
For you guys reading this who are not familiar with Japanese swords, or some of the terms Oz is using here, it might be worth doing some googling, if only to see why he was prompted to post this particular razor, and why I nearly wet myself when I saw it.

Agreed what it being talked about here all basically applies to how traditional katanas (samurai swords) are created. Not the ones you go pick up at a local mall the ones that are forged in the traditional way.

Here is a piece national geographic did on the process.
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=/&gl=US#/watch?xl=xl_blazer&v=rwQqtf86qOc

There are other videos if you want to learn more but this will give you an idea about what Tamahagane is and how a hamon is created. Most swords you see in common locations do not have a real hamon the look is achieved on them is done by polishing and not polishing parts of the blade to achieve the desired look.

Legion

Staff member
Agreed what it being talked about here all basically applies to how traditional katanas (samurai swords) are created. Not the ones you go pick up at a local mall the ones that are forged in the traditional way.

Here is a piece national geographic did on the process.
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=/&gl=US#/watch?xl=xl_blazer&v=rwQqtf86qOc

There are other videos if you want to learn more but this will give you an idea about what Tamahagane is and how a hamon is created. Most swords you see in common locations do not have a real hamon the look is achieved on them is done by polishing and not polishing parts of the blade to achieve the desired look.

Could you actually embed that video for us? The link does not work for me.

Thanx for the comments gents.

For those unfamiliar with the name, Dr. Kosuke Iwasaki is famous for his research on Japanese swordsmithing & a number of respected knife & tool smiths apprenticed under his son Shigeyoshi.

As reported in the book by Dr. Iwasaki, HAMONO-NO-MIKATA, (How to appreciate a blade), Seichi Hidea, a barber, reported that he shaved 386 customers after honing the razor only once.
Another barber reported shaving 426 people after one honing and an instructor at a barber college reported he shaved an astounding 1,032 people.

When people approached Shigeyoshi Iwasaki saying that they just cannot believe the numbers, he gives them the telephone numbers of the people in the article so that the unbelievers can call them personally.

Last edited:
In D.T. Suzuki's book on Zen and Japanese Culture, he speaks of a butcher who never had to sharpen a knife. It had more to do with the state of mind than the cutting edge, or the quality of the knife, but the principle could be applied to a razor just as easily.

In D.T. Suzuki's book on Zen and Japanese Culture, he speaks of a butcher who never had to sharpen a knife. It had more to do with the state of mind than the cutting edge, or the quality of the knife, but the principle could be applied to a razor just as easily.

So the guy that got 1032 shaves was clearly more skilled than those that only got 400 odd :001_smile

excellent book, btw, I must re read my copy. :thumbup1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-Fgtrb88Yg

The link didn't work for me either but I believe this is the one. Excellent video.

Yep that's it mine was only a 9 minute clip which consolidated a lot of it but that's the whole thing. Actually what's funny is my other post won't work on my PC either. But works fine from my phone which is what I originally posted it from.

Here is the Cliff's notes version of the OP post http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko9vR2_ptlA I'd embed it but have no clue how.

Last edited:
Top Bottom