What's new

Ivory Soap as shave stick

In addition to my post above on Ivory use in Van Der Williams blends I also experimented with a Dove Men+Care and Ivory 50/50 blend with good results. Ivory provides slickness while the Dove acts as a superlathering agent. Link to the post on this is below:

Men's Dove has a few that is made not only for the shower but formulated for shaving, It has a razor on the box, I tried the orange bar, shaved and pressed it in a bowl, lathered up on the puck, and got a fantastic lather, nice scent too
Hi Tallships, also played with Men's Dove per my post above. It's a great superlathering agent. Used alone the lather is almost too thick. In addition to my experiment with Ivory I've been adding roughly 15% Dove Men+Care to my blends for its superlathering characteristics with great results. Best blend so far includes:
  • One puck of Williams (1.75oz)
  • One puck Van Der Hagen Deluxe (VDH) (2.5 oz)
  • One Ounce of Ivory (enhances slickness)
  • One Ounce of Dove Men+Care (superlathering)
  • Half Ounce of Proraso Red Croap (also for superlathering)
I grate the Williams, Ivory and Dove. Mix in the Proraso. Melt the VDH and mix/knead everything together. Makes two nice pucks. VDH does a great job of acting as a binder for the blend in addition to enabling easier lather generation. Dove/Ivory mix alone was a bit crumbly.

This mix easily lathers with my synthetic. Lots of thick, slick lather. Amazing residual slickness. Best results with a wetter lather. In addition to great shaves blade life appears to be extended.

Fortunately I've a reserve of Williams pucks that will cover usage for a while. Will test use of Arko as a alternative to the Williams once I 3017 some of my existing soap blends.

Years ago, when I switched from a DE to a Trac II, I also started hand lathering with Ivory Soap. That worked for years, then in 2020 I switched back to a DE. I discovered I could only get a few good shaves with Ivory. When I got a brush and shaving soap I noticed a big difference, I could get more shaves out of a blade. I also found that I can get more shaves out of my Trac II with a brush and shaving soap.

Hi Tallships, also played with Men's Dove per my post above. It's a great superlathering agent. Used alone the lather is almost too thick. In addition to my experiment with Ivory I've been adding roughly 15% Dove Men+Care to my blends for its superlathering characteristics with great results. Best blend so far includes:
  • One puck of Williams (1.75oz)
  • One puck Van Der Hagen Deluxe (VDH) (2.5 oz)
  • One Ounce of Ivory (enhances slickness)
  • One Ounce of Dove Men+Care (superlathering)
  • Half Ounce of Proraso Red Croap (also for superlathering)
I grate the Williams, Ivory and Dove. Mix in the Proraso. Melt the VDH and mix/knead everything together. Makes two nice pucks. VDH does a great job of acting as a binder for the blend in addition to enabling easier lather generation. Dove/Ivory mix alone was a bit crumbly.

This mix easily lathers with my synthetic. Lots of thick, slick lather. Amazing residual slickness. Best results with a wetter lather. In addition to great shaves blade life appears to be extended.

Fortunately I've a reserve of Williams pucks that will cover usage for a while. Will test use of Arko as a alternative to the Williams once I 3017 some of my existing soap blends.

For this old man it's too much labor, but as making soaps as a hobby it sounds like a great mix. shaving to me was never a hobby but an enjoyment, even when I used 1 razor soap etc, that is until I found B&B and started collecting and experimenting with new stuff. I've gotten away from the hobby and collecting and minimalizing as much as I can.-

The short hand soap lather retention necessitates shaving with the speed of a cart'. DE, SE and SR shaving is much slower during which, hand soap lather evaporates and disappears

The short hand soap lather retention necessitates shaving with the speed of a cart'. DE, SE and SR shaving is much slower during which, hand soap lather evaporates and disappears
True with most hand soaps. But I've been shaving with Men's Dove (formulated for shaving and shower) every 4th day and it not only performs like many well-known shave soaps but lasts just as long. (look for the package with the razor on it. Too bad they don't package it as just a shave soap also.

I tried the Dove Men's Hydrate blue soap bar that is also marketed as a shave bar. It was adequate, nothing great. Most importantly, it was able to create a stable lather, unlike a lot of other bar soaps. I'll probably use it as a travel soap for shower/shave to save some space in my dopp kit.

Top Bottom