What's new

Ive decided to get a gentlemans folder

Try the Mnandi from Chris Reeve. Big enough to be useful, but small enough to carry in slacks.

Some of those knives are really nice ... but $1000 for a pocket knife is a little much ( jay knives) Im still on the fence between the two folders I started with but hearing that the wood can shrink on a mcusta is leaning closer to the enzo (they will be restocking knives sometime this month ), I like one handed openers with thumbstuds because i keep my fingernails short and opening finger knick styles can be a pain , but Im not looking for a tactical looking knife when Im on my off time . I liked the look of the Bm 480 but I dont think BM can sharpen a knife correctly from the factory , and that practice has probally turned off from BM for life .

My personal preference is for custom knives, but most will never understand that preference. That said, I would best be able to offer a suggestion if I knew what you need from the knife. Do you just want it to be aesthetically attractive, or are you looking for something that is rock-solid, but classy and elegant? How much money are you looking to spend?

The Sebenza is a world-renowned benchmark for a reason. Also look into William Henry and see if anything they make strikes your fancy.

I keep thinking I should save up for a sebenza knowing that I'll keep it for the rest of my life (providing I don't lose it of course).
But I never do.

I have a Kershaw Leek that I was using for EDC but there is just too much I don't like about it after carrying it for a year or so.
Mostly it's the open assist.

Now I just carry a SAK and I'm happy enough with it though it lacks that gentlemanly look.

In the mail coming to me is a Spyderco Endura and a Benchmade 525s.

See what I mean? If I just didn't buy those knives I'd already be on the road to a Sebenza.
Mind you, now I have 2 exellent knives to play with instead of just half of one.

Here are some nice options...though they are customs. ;)

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

This excellent Conductor is in my front pocket every day, whether in shorts, chinos, slacks, etc.

Attachments

• $my 33.jpg
    $my 33.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 267
I used to have an old Barlow, but it's been lost for quite some time. I bought a Kershaw Chill as an EDC not long ago. I haven't had it long enough to be able to give an opinion. It's inexpensive, plastic handle, made in China, but it's still a Kershaw.

I just can't justify spending much money on something that is primarily utilitarian. I don't get the same pleasure from slicing open an apple, carving a stick, cutting vinyl pallet ties, twine, burlap, or anything else as I do from cutting my whiskers in the morning.

I pulled trigger on the enzo birk 75 , with birch scales I upgraded steel to s30v but still with the scandi grind for ease of sharpening . I also considering having a second set of scales crafted in bog oak after I carry it awhile and know its a keeper .Maybe a brush to match it ?

I'd buy a French "Forge de Laguiole" if I would want to have a gentleman's knife.

proxy.php

For instance, this one in snakewood. They are all handmade, and each knife is made by a single person.

Legion

Staff member
I'd buy a French "Forge de Laguiole" if I would want to have a gentleman's knife.

proxy.php

For instance, this one in snakewood. They are all handmade, and each knife is made by a single person.

Oh, I forgot about Laguiole. I have a snakewood one as well. If given the option, get one with fatter scales. Fits in the hand more comfortably during use.

Mine is http://www.layole.com/index-uk.php

Last edited:
ImGatMan - I love Serge Panchenko's work! He lives only 45 minutes from me, but I haven't made it to his shop yet. I have his work on my "short list" because it is so raw, and beautiful. I love bronze, I love texture, and I love HC tool steel.

I see these recommendations for modern auto/assisted knives and just don't see how one could remain "gentlemanly" when using one of those in front of say, a pretty lady with child, or an elderly woman, the exact times when one should always be gentile. Pulling out a modern black handled assised opener just wouldn't be very nice I don't think. A slip joint, MOP scales, file work, two handed or slow opening should be considered, but not nesecarily all on one knife.

-Xander

And besides, it has a bee on the bolster. What could bee cooler than that?:biggrin1:

Ken

True .. and I believe that the quality of the bee details also tells something about the workmanship (the inexpensive Laguiole knives only have a rudimentary bee).

I've seen bees with more details (on very expensive Laguiole knives), but the most important thing is that you like that knife! Besides, you're buying a knife, not a bee :wink2:

Top Bottom