What's new

itchy after shower

Hullo chaps,

After a shower (or a swim at the beach, or getting very sweaty from mowing the lawn in summer etc) I get really itchy legs, and occasionally chest, this means that I always shave at night or an hour or so after a shower.

I was once told this was because of my severe hayfever - I have this under control now (after years of basically useless drugs) through accupuncture of all things) but it may still play a part.

I was just wondering if any of you suffered the same as me, and you you did, had you come up with a solution so I can shave at a more convenient time?

I get this problem too sometimes. It seems when I take a really hot shower and wash my whole body with soap my ankles and legs get itchy. This also seems to happen when I wash dishes...weird huh?

My guess, is that it has something to do with when you get warm, you start sweating, and your sweat glands open up. I'm not sure if this makes any sense, but that's what I think.

I had a similar problem. I noticed that if I were to give myself a blast of cool water at the end of a hot shower (say a 30 sec rinse) it reduced the itchiness a lot. I linked it to dry skin as well and started applying lotion to my arms and back to help as well.

ill use my witch hazel on my legs as well as my face, and try the cold shower ending to close up those pores next shower and see if that helps.

anything is worth a try.
thanks.

P

Pogo

mdunn:

I've had the same condition for years and know how annoying and frustrating it is.

My wife would laugh at me while I scratched or rubbed feverishly.

Tried moisturizers: they didn't work.

Flushed all the pipes in the house: it didn't work.

Consulted a dermatologist: suggested hypoallergenic and superfatted soaps.

Tried hypoallergenic and superfatted soaps: minor relief.

After about three or four years the condition abated spontaneously.

Stiff upper lip and know you're not alone.

I know this didn't help, but it's all I have to offer.

Good luck.

Im glad to hear it cleared up for you. Heres hoping for the same for me!

When yours stopped suddenly - had you moved house, or changed anything significant recently?

I always thought that was because the area was too hot, and that the itch was caused by your blood rushing to the surface.
I get it on my ankles.

Im glad to hear it cleared up for you. Heres hoping for the same for me!

When yours stopped suddenly - had you moved house, or changed anything significant recently?

Nope nothing had changed significantly. Every now and then I'll get a little itchy, but thats it. I figured its like splashing with cool water after a hot shave.

I had thought it was a humidity/heat combination thing, until I was at the beach a month or so ago and it happened there (though on reflection, the salt drying in my pores may have contributed)

regardless, have you found a solution for you ankles JDE?

Yep, cold water splashes. I figured that sweat stops the itching, sweat occurs to cool you down, so.... i'd just manually cool myself down.

As for the beach scenario, perhaps the salt was diminishing the efficiency of your sweat glands? I'm really no dermatologist, though. A cooler shower couldn't hurt, though. I hope you resolve it. It's incredibly annoying.

I might have to PM you about hayfever and acupuncture, though, mate...

tomorrow is all about the cold shower and witch hazel then! lets beat this thing!

JDE - I was very sceptic about accupuncture. Things like tennis elbow etc I can imagine needles having some kind of effect, but for hayfever?!?! Anyway, I heard from some people who would not take any 'voodoo' treatments lightly that it worked very well. In hayfever season i get punctured once a week (it was twice a week at first), and in the off season once a month and im fine. Its a couple of pins in my legs only, and they dont hurt at all - even if it does nothing for you, its 40 mins or so to read a book or listen to music. Any other questions feel free to PM.

I was once told this was because of my severe hayfever - I have this under control now (after years of basically useless drugs) through accupuncture of all things) but it may still play a part.

I have had severe hay fever but never had this skin itching you've experienced. Eye itching, throat itching, but no skin itching.

I too have had acupuncture when I was in Beijing in 1993-4 and it was quite effective. It lasted for about 2 years and since then my allergies have been up and down.

Once I had a skin sensitivity test. Probably a lot of people have experienced this, the doctor maps out a few spots on your arm and pokes you with a thingy and then you wait a little while to see which spots on your arm have a response.

My reaction was right out of The Exorcist. First mosquito bite-like bumps started popping up in EVERY spot I was tested. Then the arm itself started swelling. Next what the doctor called "rivulets," I think, started forming that connected the various bumps.

As soon as I showed the nurse, the doctor first gathered all his nurses around to show off his amazing handiwork--"I've never seen one this bad"--then he gave me an antihistamine. The arm stayed hot and swollen for 2 days.

The verdict was that I was allergic to every substance he tested for--tree pollen, grass pollen, cat, dog and rabbit--except for dust mite feces.

i've heard this and my girlfriend has tried this. if you have dry/itchy skin after you shower put some baby powder on. it'll help retain some of the moisture. also don't take a super hot shower that will dry out your skin along with the soap. perhaps something with aloe or moisture might help.

P

Pogo

mdunn:

The itching just stopped (or nearly stopped -- I still get sporadic, minor episodes). There was nothing to which I could attribute the remission.

However, when I had the problem I was running long distances. I gave up running about the time the pruritis abated.

Have you changed laundry detergent? Sometimes the manufacturers change the formula of their product and don't announce it. You might try another laundry detergent.

You might stop products used in the final rinse of your laundry if you are using one.

While you're waiting for the remission, it's probably condign to do as little damage to your skin as possible: short, cool showers; hypoallergenic, superfatted soap. Avoid topical treatments; however, I see nothing wrong with witch hazel in moderation.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Top Bottom