What's new

Israeli versus EU Personna blades

I also, ‘kind of agree.’

On the first shave I find the Reds smoother and more comfortable. However, the Blues ‘smooth out’ after a few shaves, then remain very comfortable for more shaves than the Reds.

In the end, I like both!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I suspect that all depends upon the toughness of your beard. I rarely try pushing blades beyond 4 shaves because most start to feel either dull or harsh by that point.

I'm noticed this week that Shaving.ie has updated their Personna's inventory and it looks like the box has "Blades made in Germany" displayed, along with some other visual packaging changes. The same goes for the tucks, the old logo, fonts and colors were replaced.

To be on the safe side and because I love the old/ Israeli ones, I ordered 200 from a different shop, but I'll order a 10 blade Made in Germany pack in the upcoming weeks and provide feedback.

Attachments

• 10PackNew.PNG
    10PackNew.PNG
    196 KB · Views: 74
  • NewPersonna.PNG
    NewPersonna.PNG
    205.6 KB · Views: 74
I'm noticed this week that Shaving.ie has updated their Personna's inventory and it looks like the box has "Blades made in Germany" displayed, along with some other visual packaging changes. The same goes for the tucks, the old logo, fonts and colors were replaced.

To be on the safe side and because I love the old/ Israeli ones, I ordered 200 from a different shop, but I'll order a 10 blade Made in Germany pack in the upcoming weeks and provide feedback.

That’s good news!
I’ll be looking forward to your post.

Look forward to your review!! :popc: :popc:

Is this implicit confirmation that the Nazareth, Israel factory has indeed closed despite the fact that the Harry's acquisition has been cancelled?

I really hope the new German Personnas aren't any different than the old.

Is this implicit confirmation that the Nazareth, Israel factory has indeed closed despite the fact that the Harry's acquisition has been cancelled?

I really hope the new German Personnas aren't any different than the old.

The Harry's acquisition had nothing to do with Nazareth closing. The closing had been planned and announced long before the acquisition activity. It was part of a planned reorganization for increased efficiency, and the idea was to move production to Edgewell's Solingen plant where Wilkinson Sword blades are made for the EU and US markets.

I'd imagine if the acquisition would have gone through Edgewell would have kept operating the Eisfeld plant independently for quite a while, unrelated to the Solingen operations.

Do any other vendors besides Shaving.ie have the German Personna Platinum Chromes?

I have no issues at all with Shaving.ie, but would rather try the new German PPC's with a larger order from one of my usual vendors, particularly if ordering overseas?

BTW, have any of the C-19 restrictions affected orders or deliveries to/from the USA and other countries?

I hope all our hard-working and reliable shave supply vendors and artisans are able to weather this health and economic storm!

I’m going to wait for the German Platinums to show up in America.
In the meantime I’ve discovered RPLs and Lab Blues and Nacets are next on the try list.

Last week, after getting 10% off any order (newsletter offer code "NEWS10") I decided to buy a 10 pack...and a Muehle R94 which I was watching for some time. All good, shipment arrived the next day and I received a confirmation these German-made blades are the only ones they have in stock.

I had two shaves with the new blade and I can say it's on par with the older version; the tests were carried with the R89 and I didn't notice any difference between the blades.

To keep the same parameters, I had full shaves with each blade, swapping them every two days. Shave 1 (ISR Personna) to have as a reference and waiting for the shipment, Save 2 (German Personna), Shave 3 (ISR Personna) and Shave 4 (German Personna). The fifth will be half-shave with each blade, I tried to have as little disturbances as possible for the previous ones.

I desperately wanted to get the blade into the new razor (which is a beauty, by the way!!!), but for proper results and consistency, I knew I had to use the old razor.

My favourite blades are Feather, GSB, Personna and Permasharp, followed by Voskhod, Rapira Stainless and Astra SP.

Below are a few photos with the tucks and blades.

IMG_20200401_112639.jpg
IMG_20200401_112400.jpg

Last week, after getting 10% off any order (newsletter offer code "NEWS10") I decided to buy a 10 pack...and a Muehle R94 which I was watching for some time. All good, shipment arrived the next day and I received a confirmation these German-made blades are the only ones they have in stock.

I had two shaves with the new blade and I can say it's on par with the older version; the tests were carried with the R89 and I didn't notice any difference between the blades.

To keep the same parameters, I had full shaves with each blade, swapping them every two days. Shave 1 (ISR Personna) to have as a reference and waiting for the shipment, Save 2 (German Personna), Shave 3 (ISR Personna) and Shave 4 (German Personna). The fifth will be half-shave with each blade, I tried to have as little disturbances as possible for the previous ones.

I desperately wanted to get the blade into the new razor (which is a beauty, by the way!!!), but for proper results and consistency, I knew I had to use the old razor.

My favourite blades are Feather, GSB, Personna and Permasharp, followed by Voskhod, Rapira Stainless and Astra SP.

View attachment 1081243View attachment 1081244

Thanks!
I’m waiting for an American vendor to purchase from.

View attachment 1081243View attachment 1081244

Great comparison!! Glad they are so close!! :clap:

Personna Platinums (Israeli Reds) are one of my favorite blades. I have about 100 in stock, but look forward to trying the German version when they are readily available in the States.

I presume they are produced in the same plant as the German Wilkinson Sword Classic blades. I like the German Wilkies, so I hope the German Personnas will be as good as the Israeli ones.

I don't know if it is the photo, but to me the German and the Israeli made blades appear to have completely different edges. Just look carefully.

For me personally it is not which one is better. I like all Personna models. I just have to use them in different razors.

Boots [UK high street retailer] own-brand blades, which were blatantly a rebadged Personna plastic dispenser, top card and packaging format, always used to be "Made in Israel", and stealthily changed over to "Made in Germany" some time in late 2019, without any other packaging changes.

I used one of the new ones on Tuesday, and it was perfectly fine. I would bet good money that I couldn't tell the new stock from old, if someone else was loading the razor.

I have 100 of the old-type Boots stashed anyway, but it probably wasn't necessary. :001_smile

Top Bottom