What's new

Is TOM Mint the Official Fruitcake of B&B?

Tom's of Maine Mint Shaving Cream -- it's a decent enough cream. All natural, lubricating, nice cooling effect during the final rinse. But let's face it -- it ain't a luxury cream like a Trumper or Truefitt & Hill. So I can't help but notice that when soaps and creams go up for sale or trade, almost invariably there's a Tom's of Maine tube thrown into the batch.

Do we pass along the same tube of TOM like an old Christmas fruitcake, foisting it onto the next unsuspecting shaver?

My apologies to those who like fruitcake. Who knew there'd be so many on one forum?

Tom's of Maine Mint is my first tube of shaving cream I have ever purchased. I even got my grandfather to start using it exclusively.

I think TOM lathers well and provides a good slick cushion. But for some reason I hardly ever use it. In fact, I often forget I even have it.

Works fine, but that's about it.

I threw my 3/4 of a tube in as an extra to a noob I sold some stuff to.

So while not exactly the wetshaving equivalent to fruitcake (in that the Tom's isn't bad), I think its not a bad analogy.

I think this forum just attracts more people who like to try new things... exotic things. Tom's of Maine is competent but not exactly exotic.

boboakalfb said:
I am in the same boat. It just doesn't wow me.
+1

IMO, Tom's is worthless as a brushless cream. The worst shave I've had since I've joined B&B was when I used Tom's Mint w/o a brush. However, with a brush it's decent enough, but not something I would purchase again.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
It's very hard to find that stuff in the stores up here in Canada ... unlike Florena which grows on the same trees that grow Williams mug. I'll take Florena any day.

You know, I thought Tom's was the bees knees until I went back to my Truefitt. Man, what was I thinking? I have a 3/4 tube of the peppermint if any body wants it:lol:

Hmmm.
I'm actually a fan of the Tom's of Maine mint shave cream. I tried it after getting rid of my Salter mint....and actually prefer it.
Different strokes, I guess.
Probably like other things...it doesn't get much attention because it's not "exotic" as mentioned above.
Just like Palmolive lather-and Noxzema lather-etc etc. but after awhile when they aren't available...things change.
Not that I think Tom's mint is going anywhere soon. At least I hope not.
John P.

Yes, it's definitely a "YMMV" cream. Like I wrote above, I do think it's a decent cream. But out of all the creams and soaps I own, it's the one I reach for the least. In fact, I put TOM Calendula ahead of it.

I was just noting that it's in an awful number of soap lots for sale here. I've gotten two this way. So now I have three tubes. :biggrin:

Do we pass along the same tube of TOM like an old Christmas fruitcake, foisting it onto the next unsuspecting shaver?

Yes!

Top Bottom