What's new

Is this ok for my first Jant I’m waiting for it to arrive in the post .

AD43087F-35C8-4F6F-826A-5753B511E215.png

Ok thanks don’t know much about jnats been doing some research on YouTube I got a imperia la roccia stone first but I don’t like it much.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
A little small for my taste I think... I don't think in sillymeters, but lots of guys like little rocks. TBH mine isn't much bigger than that. You will definitely want more than just the one nagura (slurry stone... sorry but now you have to learn a lot of Japanese lingo) but that ought to get you started okay. You should be able to put a pretty decent finish on a razor with that setup. More slurry stones will let you reach down a little deeper into your progression, with the Jnat. A good progression of slurry stones and you can do everything this side of setting the bevel with it.

One nice thing is it looks thick enough to hold in hand, without a stone holder and without your fingertips in the danger zone.

A little small for my taste I think... I don't think in sillymeters, but lots of guys like little rocks. TBH mine isn't much bigger than that. You will definitely want more than just the one nagura (slurry stone... sorry but now you have to learn a lot of Japanese lingo) but that ought to get you started okay. You should be able to put a pretty decent finish on a razor with that setup. More slurry stones will let you reach down a little deeper into your progression, with the Jnat. A good progression of slurry stones and you can do everything this side of setting the bevel with it.

One nice thing is it looks thick enough to hold in hand, without a stone holder and without your fingertips in the danger zone.
Thanks for the advice much appreciated

What don't you like about it?
I seem to get better results with my 10000 k Naniwa super stone if I go from the naniwa to the la roccia to finish it makes the edge worse not better it works better under running water but i still get a better edge with out it .

Is it best to use powder or diamond plate to flatten a jnat or don’t it matter thanks for any advice.
87ADAFB1-5B89-41F0-9C3E-191177943ED2.jpeg

I have the same progression Naniwas as you. I do not have a Jnat. I have a hard Cnat. I use the 1200 Atoma for all and find it does a good job.

I have the same progression Naniwas as you. I do not have a Jnat. I have a hard Cnat. I use the 1200 Atoma for all and find it does a good job.
Ok thanks I have a 400 atoma maybe it’s a bit rough I might get a 1200 like you .

I’ve used the 400 as well but larger scratches, and more than necessary material removed. That’s the reason I got the 1200.

I’ve used the 400 as well but larger scratches, and more than necessary material removed. That’s the reason I got the 1200.
I think you’re right .now I’m starting to get more expensive stones removing more material than necessary is a bad idea thanks for the advice.

I use Atoma 140/400 to flatten. At the speed of my 400, I can't imagine I'd have the patience to flatten with a 1200...

If you stop flattening when it's flat with a 400, you wouldn't be removing any more material than if you flatten it with a 1200.

I use Atoma 140/400 to flatten. At the speed of my 400, I can't imagine I'd have the patience to flatten with a 1200...

If you stop flattening when it's flat with a 400, you wouldn't be removing any more material than if you flatten it with a 1200.
I use it lightly on progression stones before and after using the stone. Since they are always flat. It ends up being a quick few strokes under running water. Just a touch up. The stones have stiction so I do not go any further as I know you can. There is a considerable difference in material removed using both Atomas the same. That has been my experience.

Top Bottom