What's new

Is anyone not happy with the Game Changer .84

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Yikes, an old thread .. to the OP, I had one but like the other RR offerings it has been sold off and is somewhere else today. I've found their offerings well priced but so-so shavers, and less well machined/finished than the competition.

I am at the point where I prefer razors without any blade forward position, I like to shave with a neutral angle. The .84 has enough blade projection to draw occasional blood if I use that angle. The .68 baseplate however works great for me.

The GC 0.84-P is currently in my rotation. Feels great in hand. Shave smoothly. Was hoping it was more efficient though...
Same. I love the GC .84 straight bar. Just isn’t quite efficient enough on most days, unless I put a Kai in it - try it! Definitely kicks it up a notch.

my GC doesn’t see much love these days since I got a Rex Ambassador. But I use opposite approach with Rex. I pair it with a milder blade, like Vostok.

I tried the GC.84 with KAI and man...it was a rough shave, I have to change the blade before finishing 1st wtg pass...really bewildered.

I thought something wrong with the blade but when using the same KAI blade in the EJ DE89..wow it was nice!!
The same thing happened with the same blade in the Karve SB-D plate..couldn't complete even the 1st pass...
Really perplexing this razor and blade pairing...

I want to try to get a GC.84 JAWS if there's any used...hahahaha

I tried the GC.84 with KAI and man...it was a rough shave, I have to change the blade before finishing 1st wtg pass...really bewildered.

I thought something wrong with the blade but when using the same KAI blade in the EJ DE89..wow it was nice!!
The same thing happened with the same blade in the Karve SB-D plate..couldn't complete even the 1st pass...
Really perplexing this razor and blade pairing...

I want to try to get a GC.84 JAWS if there's any used...hahahaha
I have the Jaws. Certainly more efficient! Lot more blade feel though. I like using it here and there but not as daily driver. I’ve never used the .84 OC. Might hit the sweet spot. Who knows?!

I still own the OC and SB versions of the Game Changer .84. I sold off several of my razors after getting my first Wolfman. The Game Changers made the cut and still see occasional use. I did sell the Jaws. It was very close to the OC. IMO, the JAWS had more blade feel than the OC with no discernible increase in efficiency.

My next razor is going to be a GC .84, I need something more aggressive than a EJ-89.
Is anyone not happy with the GC .84 ? Is the .84 more aggressive than a EJ-89 ?

Thanks for the comments
The only thing im not happy with is the big mark up on price in the uk. It costs more than twice as much than it does in the usa.

I started with a GC .68 plate and didn’t like it. Had to make to many passes. Traded for a .84 plate and it’s now my most used razor. In fact I’ve used it daily since December 22nd. I find that I don’t reach for my Rex, Timeless or vintage Gillette’s anymore. The GC .84 just works and with no irritation for my face. I’m almost to the point where I may sell my Timeless since it sees no use these days.

It's interesting (for me, anyway!) to reread what I posted in this old thread over 3 1/2 years ago: ".... I found the .84 steps over the line into too aggressive for daily use territory, though not by much. I found it possible to get just as close a shave with the .68, which is significantly less aggressive, with just a little more time and effort. ...."
Recently, I've started shaving less often than daily (usually every other day) and switched for the most part to the 84-P with the titanium handle and I'm more than happy with the results. If I ever went back to shaving every day I might try the new 76-P plate.

It's interesting (for me, anyway!) to reread what I posted in this old thread over 3 1/2 years ago: ".... I found the .84 steps over the line into too aggressive for daily use territory, though not by much. I found it possible to get just as close a shave with the .68, which is significantly less aggressive, with just a little more time and effort. ...."
Recently, I've started shaving less often than daily (usually every other day) and switched for the most part to the 84-P with the titanium handle and I'm more than happy with the results. If I ever went back to shaving every day I might try the new 76-P plate.
Three shaves in to the .76-P plate, and it's the sweet spot for me. @nlife and I have been discussing it in the BORG thread.

... Thom

I'm happy with my GC 0.84-P. A middle of the road blade, like an Astra or Personna works really well for me.

I second that. But it also works for me with a Feather or something of marginal sharpness like a Lord. If someone told me I could only have one razor in rotation AND would be forced to make do with whatever random blades I was given, I would pick the GC 0.84.

I second that. But it also works for me with a Feather or something of marginal sharpness like a Lord. If someone told me I could only have one razor in rotation AND would be forced to make do with whatever random blades I was given, I would pick the GC 0.84.
It’s a good one for sure!😊👍💈

I am soo happy with gc .84p. I think it is the middle point in terms of efficiency/comfort from all de razors. I use it for any special day like weddings, job interviews, etc. because I know that this razor wont irritate my skin and will do a close shave.

Top Bottom