What's new

Inks That Don't Fade? Is It More The Color Than the Formulation?

It seems to me that blue inks are just prone to fading. I recently started thumbing through a notebook from about a year ago, and the notes I've written in blue ink, Waterman and Pelikan, have faded considerably (legible but still faded) even though the book has been closed and the ink has been minimally exposed to light. I've even noticed that Aurora blue is already faded a touch after just a few months in a notebook, but Sailor Jentle Blue seems to be fairing well so far.

Other colors have not faded at all. Those would include Noodler's purple, Montblanc toffee brown, Iroshizuku tsuki yo, and Aurora black as well as Noodler's black and Zhivago.

I've since discontinued the use of Noodler's inks though. Zhivago shifted its color in the bottle, and black smudges even after it's dry. Plus, they are a royal pain to clean out of a pen leaving a sooty residue behind.

I'm not sure if my observation is accurate or not, but it seems like colors other than blue tend to be more robust. Tsuki-yo is just as intense as the day I first wrote with it. I'm so impressed with this that I ordered another bottle.

I'm considering colors that may be more robust in terms of resisting fading for future ink purchases.

What are your insights and experiences on fading? What inks or colors have worked well for you in terms of resisting fading?

I don't have the link handy, but someone on FPN did fade tests on a bunch of different inks. Might not hurt to do a search.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I just checked some old journals (only 2 years) and my blues seem fine. Mine are all Diamine, if that matters.

Top Bottom